Quinoa- what am I doing wrong?!

Options
So I love quinoa, but I think I'm missing something- everyone keeps talking about it as a low carb option, but I keep going way over my calories for the day when I have it. Maybe I'm not measuring properly? A typical quinoa salad that I can pick up around school or local places is about 1.5-2 cups prepared. Does quinoa expand as it's cooked? Someone help! :)

Replies

• honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup uncooked quinoa is about 3/4 cup cooked.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I think of it as being very similar to rice in calories, as in not low calorie. I think it's supposed to be better for you nutritional wise than rice, but not sure on the specifics.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi nanelleJA

I love quinoa too, and I can't seem to get enough of it or enough opportunities to experiment with it.
    I think its a mistake to describe quinoa as 'low carb'. Compared to other grains it is high-protein. And I think that is where the confusion lies - some people 'high protein' as being 'low carb'. Quinoa expands (roughly) three times in volume. 1/3 - 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa per person. I use the absorption method of cooking quinoa.

I use quinoa an accompaniment to chilli beans or as an alternative to pasta. It could also be used as a base for a pilau or an alternative to buckwheat in tabouli.
    Do let me know how you go with your culinary adventures with quinoa!
    kind regards,

Ben
  • eringraczyk
    eringraczyk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi nanelleJA

I love quinoa too, and I can't seem to get enough of it or enough opportunities to experiment with it.
    I think its a mistake to describe quinoa as 'low carb'. Compared to other grains it is high-protein. And I think that is where the confusion lies - some people 'high protein' as being 'low carb'. Quinoa expands (roughly) three times in volume. 1/3 - 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa per person. I use the absorption method of cooking quinoa.

I use quinoa an accompaniment to chilli beans or as an alternative to pasta. It could also be used as a base for a pilau or an alternative to buckwheat in tabouli.
    kind regards,

Ben

Hey, Ben, have you ever tried quinoa for breakfast? I cook a big batch and then throw it in the fridge. In the morning, I'll heat it up in the microwave then throw in some greek yogurt. Sometimes it's vanilla greek yogurt and sometimes it's plain with a bit of powdered sugar mixed in. I love it that way! It's kind of like oatmeal as far as a hot breakfast on a cold winter morning (I live in Nebraska). Aside from that, all I've done with quinoa is quinoa cakes, which are made like crab cakes. I didn't like them by themselves so much, but the aioli that went with them made them quite palatable. Link to recipe below.

Best regards,
    Erin

http://spoonforkbacon.com/2011/11/cheesy-quinoa-cakes/
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Quinoa isn't low carb, but it is high nutrition, so if you're looking for a "healthier" carb, quinoa is a good option. I like to cook mine with dried fruit in almond milk. Creamy and sweet!

I don't think it's got a ton of calories per serving. Maybe you are switching the cooked and uncooked portions when you are logging?
  • neniplatas
    neniplatas Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What Ben ^^^ said is right. Quinoa is still over 70% carb. The advantage over other grains is that it is about 15% protein so it is also more filling and more nutritious, but it is NOT low carb. It is approx. 222 calories for 1 cup cooked, so if you have 2 cups that's almost 450 calories.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi nanelleJA

kind regards,

Ben

Hey, Ben, have you ever tried quinoa for breakfast? I cook a big batch and then throw it in the fridge. In the morning, I'll heat it up in the microwave then throw in some greek yogurt. Sometimes it's vanilla greek yogurt and sometimes it's plain with a bit of powdered sugar mixed in. I love it that way! It's kind of like oatmeal as far as a hot breakfast on a cold winter morning (I live in Nebraska). Aside from that, all I've done with quinoa is quinoa cakes, which are made like crab cakes. I didn't like them by themselves so much, but the aioli that went with them made them quite palatable. Link to recipe below.

Best regards,
    Erin

http://spoonforkbacon.com/2011/11/cheesy-quinoa-cakes/

Hi Erin,
    That sounds fantastic. Its still a bit too warm to contemplate a hot breakfast down here in Tasmania. In the past I have cooked a quinoa porridge with soy milk and dates. I've just started a six-month course on eco-tourism guiding and I have six camps around the State, so I intend to take quinoa with me to use either in evening meals or breakfasts.
    Thanks for the link - I'll check out the recipe. If I get time, I'll check out some of my recipes. I've got a great recipe book by a Turkish chef and from memory it includes a few good quinoa salads.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that does clear up a lot for me. I don't think I'm mixing up cooked and uncooked when I'm logging unless the entries in the MFP database are wrong (usually they're labeled as cooked or uncooked) but I think I'm just going to start making my own and going from there. I will definitely have to check out a lot more recipes for that stuff!!