Successful diets/exercises for the full time worker?

Options
I'm wondering what diets you've done that were successful as a full time worker? Like what do you eat before going to work, and what do eat for lunch at work? Were they quick meals? Did you have coffee or energy drinks? How did you get exercise, especially if you're a parent, and are tired after work? Were there any easy home work outs you did?

I'm starting to gain weight back and its stressing me out which is making me eat more out of comfort. There's a cafeteria at my work and I've been eating there which is horrible because the food is unhealthy. I also have a large coffee every morning because I have a son who still wakes up at night and I go to sleep late due to insomnia and than wake up too late to make a healthy breakfast/lunch for work! Its a cycle. By the time i get off work i'm exhausted and just wanna eat, relax, and go to bed. I sometimes walk on my breaks on work though,. Any advice on how to be healthy and lose weight with a busy work/parenting schedule?

Replies

• duane90
    Options
    i have only been doing my diet and exercise for about a week now but i have been eating a boiled egg before i go to work then one of the progresso soups for lunch and then tryingy to stay near a leaner meat at dinner and have been doing very good lost 9 pounds just this week i have cut out all sodas and only drink water and have been doing the cardio workout from biggest loser the last couple of days
  • VonJesserz
    Options
    Wow nine pounds in a week!! I wish I could do that! I'm really desperate to lose weight but i'm afraid of losing too much too fast and gaining it back. i'll look up that cardio!
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I work full time as a teacher, and also have two active kids (read-- lots of time spent taking them to THEIR stuff!).
    I've only been at this for about a month, but here's my general plan of attack, for now:

1) Eat a good breakfast (low carb). I cook this meal for myself, even though it means getting up earlier.

2) gave up coffee-- because I only like it with lots of stuff. I switched to flavored tea (still caffiene) but I can drink it without sweetners, especially if it has a flavor.

3) Loaded Striiv on my phone, which I keep in my pocket (or sometimes, in my boot) -- this helps me trach how many steps I take and if I am actually moving during the day. You might be surprised how much you already do! I was!
    I try for 10K steps a day. Sometimes this means walking around my living room while I watch the news at night. My dh says I'm wearing out the carpet. :-) _)

4) Home videos. It's just not possible to work in a full gym schedule right now-- so I use xbox or amazon downloads to try a fee things like 30DS.

5) I usually have a Lean Cuisine or soup for lunch (these are microwaved. I'm on my feet a lot during the day-- so for snacks I grab something quick like an Atkins shake. Sometimes I do salad. Dinner I don't have lots of time to cook-- but I make fish a lot, with microwaved frozen veggies. Lots of spinach salads.

6) I have cut all calorie drinks. It has to be under 5 for me to drink it now.

There are days when I'm not home until 9. I try to find someway to not eat out-- as this is always tough for me. When I have to, I order sandwiches wrapped in lettucce instead of bread, no cheese, no fatty fixings.

If you like, you can add me and see my diary. Not perfect! But I'm making some progress.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, eat a small lunch (400-500) then a snack (100) on my drive to the barn from work. Come home and eat the rest of my 1000-1300 calories I have left.
    FOr exercise I usually try to do 30 mins cardio and then upper or lower body weights. I would like to go 4-5 times a week but I have been dealing with some sickness/lack of energy for the past month and having a hard go of it.
  • alainqn
    Options
    sounds like your losing focus on your goal. Drink lots of water especially before you eat, makes you feel full and you won't feel tired after work that easily. Make sure you eat a good breakfast before work so your body doesn't go to starvation mode, prepare it before you go to sleep if no time. Eat more protein rich foods because they have lower calories and makes you feel full, like eggs, shrimps, chicken, fish, beans...etc. Eat more often but lesser amounts. Try to consume less sugar than you normally do becuase sugar is a killer when it comes to calories. As far as workouts, check out body weight workouts which you can easily do at home. Pretty much anything that will get your heart pumping at more than 125 bpm will do. If you only did jumping jacks for the next few months consistently everyday rest one, you'll be ripped by summer lol. Just stay focused and be consistent. You can do it. I have 3 little girls under 5 and I did it. I made the time to excercise when there was practically none. Good luck.
  • tiffalynn07
    tiffalynn07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I usually have a carnation instant breakfast with milk....It fills me up for quite sometime. As far as exercising after work and in between the being a mom thing (two kids 3 and 2)...I try to exercise once they go to bed. Whether its playing with my xbox kinect or whatever else. When the weather is warmer, I plan on taking plenty of walks with them in the stroller as well. I second the Lean Cuisine meals as well!
  • weightloser122
    Options
    when i worked in an office i usually brought a salad w/ me to eat for lunch loaded with veggies, protein, nuts, sometimes cheese or bacon. for breakfast i would eat something small like a protein bar