Creatine + Supplements

2»

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    @cpudoc
    Since one of the ways Creatine works is to retain water by pulling water into muscles, what are everyone's thoughts on using it if you have Hypertension, even mild hypertension? Or if you are on HBP meds?

I have mild hypertension and use Creatine with no adverse effects. However, I will say that you should contact your doctor by email or whatever, and give him or her a heads-up on all of the supplements that you're taking. That way, when you go in for your physical, he or she'll be able to utilize this information in evaluating your blood tests and whatnot.
  • I do recommend it! It will allow your muscles to look fuller and more toned!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Creatine

If there is a single dietary supplement in existence that can be said to work, creatine is probably it. With several hundred studies supporting it’s effectiveness and safety, creatine is arguably with one the must-have supplements for most athletes including team and mixed sports athletes (with a few notes made below).

Creatine has been shown to positively impact all manners of performance measures ranging from repeat sprint performance to weight room performance and others (if creatine has a negative impact it is typically on endurance due to a slight weight gain that occurs). Most of the reported side-effects of creatine have not been borne out by research (see comments on cramping in the previous chapter) and the biggest danger of creatine use is a slight weight gain of 1-2 kg due to water retention.

For athletes who need to make weight, this can be a problem and, as noted in the chapter on hydration and cramping, will increase fluid requirements. Even those athletes who need to make a certain weight class can use creatine supplementation during their main training phase and go off at least one month before competition; this will give the body time to get rid of the extra water and drop the weight.

While a number of ‘high-tech’ creatines have come and gone, for the most part bulk creatine monohydrate works as effectively, if not more effectively, than the other types. The only possible exception is a micronized creatine which can be useful for athletes who have stomach problems with the standard monohydrate. All of the other variations on creatine (i.e. creatine ethyl-ester) are no more effective but do cost more.

Traditionally, creatine has been supplemented one of three ways, which I’ve described below:

The method used in the studies was to consume 20 grams of creatine in 4X5 g doses per day for 5 days. While this loads the muscle with creatine the fastest, it can also cause stomach upset in some people.
    A less aggressive protocol would be to consume 10 g/day of creatine for 10 days. While this will take longer to reach saturation levels, most people report less stomach problems.
    Finally, creatine can simply be taken at a dose of 3-5 grams per day for roughly a month.

The only difference in approaches is the speed of loading. Athletes may simply wish to put 3-5 grams of creatine in their pre- or post-workout shake and be done with it. Maintenance doses are 5-10 g/day depending on the athlete’s size after loading has been finished (larger athletes need more to maintain muscular levels).

I should mention that some percentage of athletes are creatine non-responders. For various reasons, they receive no benefits from creatine, no performance improvement and no weight gain. If an athlete uses creatine in one of the above dosing patterns and no weight gain occurs, they are a non-responder and can discontinue use.

As noted above, after loading, creatine levels will drop gradually over a period of about a month if no more is consumed. Athletes who need to drop water weight should discontinue creatine supplementation at least 30 days prior to the weigh-in of their event.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Creatine is great and cheap. There is absolutely NO need to by crap like Concret, it's way overpriced for what it does. Good ole' Creatine Monohydrate is perfectly fine.

I've actually used Creatine when I was hungover and dehydrated, seemed to help. LOL.

I was also reading on PubMed that there's evidence suggesting that Creatine has positive benefits for some pretty big disease, believe it was Alzheimers.

Anyway, it's a pretty good supplement that's been around for a long time.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I use protein, creatine, multivitamin, fish oil, and C4 pre-workout.

boom, I use the same stuff

Supp twins! :drinker: