Lifting weights

Options
So I always forget how this goes.... I haven't lifted in forever. I am 5'3 and I'm at 135. I have some arm fat that kinda just jiggles and it's really annoying... So I have two 3 pound weights that I just got. My boyfriend keeps telling me that it's repetition that helps tones not the actual weight number. So... I want to "tone" my arms and maybe strengthen my back. I know all the moves I just don't know if I should be doing sets, or just a set number.... I don't want to build up muscle too much but I would like to decrease my arm fat... I measured and it's like 13 or 14 inches around... but it's mostly fat.... I do lots of walking too...

Any ideas please? I never really understood the difference between sets and all that stuff...

Replies

• indiankel
    indiankel Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you, not knowing what to do. I started with a trainer the first of the year and he has me lifting. We do 2 sets of 20 each time. I don't use alot of weight and was told that you get more benefit from more reps at lighter weight. It seems to be working because I have trimmed down alot! The key is definitely cardio mixed with weight lifting!! Good luck :)
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    Thanks. That is what I want to do, is to trim down... that doesn't sound like a whole lot but I did one set of 10 and I felt it lol.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    There is really no such thing as 'toning'.

You want to increase muscle and decrease body fat to achieve a 'toned' appearance.

If your goal is growth you need to do 10-12 repetitions.

If your goal is strength you need to do 1-6 repetions.

If you are using light weight and doing more than 15 repetitions you are working on endurance which will not result in muscle growth.

Also, the last two reps of each set need to be difficult otherwise you aren't stimulating any sort of growth. The muscle respond by specific adaption to imposed demands. In other words, if you don't challenge the muscle it will not change. Hope this helps.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Also, begin with a total body workout and progress from 2 days to 3 or 4 days/week.

Sample workout would look like this:

Back--bent over row 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps
    Chest--modified push-ups 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps
    Quads, Hams, Glutes--lunges 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps
    Shoulders--DB shoulder press 2-3 sets x 10-12 reps

You can alternate workouts with rep ranges, but try to work up to 3 sets of each exercise/workout. Three sets has been shown to be the most effective means for increasing strength.
  • bememorable
    Options
    Buy and do any of the Jari Love - Get Ripped series videos with weights and you'll see results in days! I have never found fitness video's I love and enjoy doing. Plus the results are scientifically proven and if you buy the dvds at Walmart or Indigo.com you can get them for as low as $9.00. http://www.jarilove.com/html/fitness-dvds.php
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi, I beleive you should be doing weights and I agree high reps low weight but you do need to challenge your muscles so don't go to light . My advice is to do 3 sets of 15 - 20 reps with the last 2-3 reps being very difficult to complete ( you must always concentrate on form). Don't worry about bulking up because being a woman you don't have the levels of testosterone needed for this to happen. And alaways feed your muscles after your workout idealy within 30 minutes with good quality protein.