Do you use digital kitchen scales for things like rice etc?

Options
2»

Replies

• claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mine was from Argos - Salter digital, really simple to use! I weight EVERYTHING!
    [/quote]

Yes I think its a Salter one i'll get..
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - I weigh everything - even after 2 years plus......
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If i guesstimate, I'm always OVER :blushing: so now I weigh everything :smile:
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've had digital kitchen scales for baking for years and use it daily for portion control. For the price, it's one of the best value gadgets in my kitchen. I have a Startfrit that I got onsale at Canadian Tire for $10 (66% off) just recently because my old one bit the dust and I wouldn't be without one.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    never weighed anything. Don't believe in numbers.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    never weighed anything. Don't believe in numbers.

How can you not believe in numbers? I can assure you they exist. :laugh:

Yes, I use a food scale and I weigh everything. You would be shocked at how much guesstimating bumps your calories up.

I was shocked the first time I poured out the recommended serving of 75g of rice. I'd normally eat 3 times that. Now I eat the 75g and it looks like loads!
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Weighing everything is the only way to be sure that you really know what you're having, it is a wake up call for what a real portion is.

I've even recently measured olive spread on sandwiches and that gave me a bit of a shock too, so have started spreading thinner.
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just bought one :-)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you want optimal results, weigh everything without exception.
  • mrfrodogetdown
    mrfrodogetdown Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No, but only because I was a cook for quite a while and know, with very little error, how much of what is what by feel and eyeballing it. If I didn't have the experience, I would if I were really serious about this.