How can I conquer those late night cravings?

Options
Please help, i'm craving all things sugary and salty!

Replies

• jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am soooo sorry! I can't help, I have the same problem. A friend of mine told me to prepare my logging in advance and to plan for the cravings.
  • detroitcupcake
    detroitcupcake Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    good idea to plan and log ahead.thats what i do during the workweek,i log my lunch and most snacks when im packing them so i dont forget during the rush of work,etc
  • emilyrosenich
    emilyrosenich Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am soooo sorry! I can't help, I have the same problem. A friend of mine told me to prepare my logging in advance and to plan for the cravings.

Sounds like a good idea really! I hate these cravings!!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the things what will make you feel bad once you've eaten them.

Cravings are like withdrawl. Once you get over them a few times and 'kick the habit' you're golden!!

the satisfaction of knowing you can resist sugary things becomes better than the pleasure of eating them.

Boom!
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    big glass of ice water (chug 16 ounces) and distraction - if half hour later still have the craving then eat something small.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Try eating low sodium rice cakes with a tbls of peanut butter on it. the rice cake gives you the crunch factor (if that is what your craving) and the Peanut butter curbs the sweet tooth. . I will eat 2 of these, if it doesn't do the trick, I will have another one, but it is rare that i need 3 rice cakes. 2 usually does the trick
  • adozenunholyowls
    adozenunholyowls Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Glass of water, brush your teeth and go to bed!
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I plan a treat into my calories and macros every day, just something little like a few squares of good chocolate. Means I know I've got a treat coming so I don't get too frustrated! I make it into a proper treat, reading a book in a hot bath and eating chocolate feels like I'm having a proper relax and good stuff :smile:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

This works surprisingly well sometimes.
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi both,

I dot necessarily crave bad stuff but I can never seem to stop eating once I start dinner!! Ill have dinner but then just keep going and going an going.

So one thing that has helped me is that once dinner is done I sit for a while and then I go and make myself a HUGE mug of low cal hot chocolate (Cadbury highlights, options, etc. weight watchers is THE BEST but I just use waitrose own brand (oh sorry if you are not in UK and I'm talking riddles with the brands and supermarkets... But you get the idea))

And I get a bowl of dry cereal - Special K, bran flakes etc.

Both take a while to eat and so I can pick at the cereal whilst drinking the hot chocolate and it keeps me busy and distracted for a while. Then if I still want to eat afterwards I go to bed!!

But you could even have it twice. It's roughly 150cals for the two.
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For salty I’ll have 20 pistachios, and for sweet, I have a sugar free cookie or a piece of sugar free chocolate. On holidays I have Angel Food Cake and top it with fresh fruit that was macerated in splenda and topped with lite whipped topping.
  • ruthieg10
    ruthieg10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Try making your own popcorn adding salt if thats what your craving, sweetner or cinnamon if you need something sweet!x
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Eat them...just in moderation....
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Dont buy the things you crave and if you are hungry late at night after you have eaten everything you are supposed to, go to bed. Also if you are craving certain things it means you are missing something else in your diet. Google it!

Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Eat more, especially earlier in the day.
    Brush your teeth.
    Read, find a hobby that would keep your hands busy, watch tv. Unless those are food eating 'triggers'.
    Only eat healthy stuff after dinner. How about some fruit or yogurt?
    Prelog food.
    Plan your diary so that you have cals leftover in the evening.
    Tell yourself that each time you deny yourself something you dont NEED, it makes you stronger. It gets easier the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, etc.
    Drink a tall glass of calorie free something. Drink another glass if necessary.
    Don't have any binge triggering foods in your house. Ever. Well, unless you've made room for a treat and try to only buy a single serving!
    When you 'think' you're hungry, write down what you really feel like. Usually when I eat late at night, I'm bored and not really hungry.
    Write a list of goals, things (or habits!) that you want to change.
    Sometimes at night, when I 'think' I'm hungry, I'll put together tomorrows breakfast. Refrigerator oatmeal is sooo good and it's filling. If I make it right after dinner, and know I'll have it for breakfast, I tend to not eat anything until then. I'm not sure why but it works for me. That or plan any other, filling & healthy breakfast.
    Good luck! You can do this!
  • WinBattle
    WinBattle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I have the same issue and appreciate everyone's suggestions. Cravings and PMS is frustrating!
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I have this same problem. Last night I broke out the honey and a bananna. Not good. I believe for me it was caused by too many carbs throughout the day and eaten at the wrong time (not before exercise). Thus, I spiked by insulin. Once the insulin is spiked it is a roller coaster ride for me- eat carbs - high blood sugar-insulin- low blood sugar-eat more carbs-high blood sugar-insulin- etc. Thus, on days where you have sugar cravings- look back at your diary and see what type of carbs (low glycemic vs high glycemic) and when you at them. Good Luck.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options

If at all possible. This.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    simply allocate space for low cal sugary tasting things if thats what you crave. Just make sure

my breakfast cal, allocation I use up most days with a incredibly 'candy' tasting protein bar, and at nighttime I normally look at mfp and use it to tell me how many scoops of low cal icecream I can have (actually measuring icecream is incredibly difficult so I actually weigh it, but I digress. )
  • emilyrosenich
    emilyrosenich Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All great suggestions! Bed time and water it is for me....