Getting over coffee creamer

Options
DMUND
DMUND Posts: 299 Member
OK....here's the thing, I'm not sure I can but....what are some tips and tricks you used to either eliminate or cut down on your morning coffee creamer? I must admit, I love me some flavorful creamed coffee...no better way to start the day!!!

It's not like I drink a whole pot of coffee a day, so it probably isn't that big of a deal....but it would be nice to have the option of black or flavored cream. I just can't drink black coffee without at least sugar or milk in it....

HELP!!!

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    How much are you currently using? Slowly lowering the amount you use could help. My wife recently did that and is now drinking it black. She had a sip of my coffee which had creamer in it, and she thought it tasted gross.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I use low calorie once a day. But I drink way more coffee than that. Usually around 5-8 cups a day. So, after the first, it's all black coffee. I use stevia on the first two. My creamer is only like 10 calories per spoon.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have one cup a day with sugar free. It's something I enjoy, I could never give up my creamer!
  • DMUND
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I always think I will just "cut down" on the amount, but it's sooo good!

@strikerjb007, I will try what your wife did and just gradually cut down. Does she enjoy her coffee as much now that it's just black?? I just think if I won't enjoy it any longer, what's the point? (well, beside it being a healthier option....hehe)
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Try an all natural creamer, or something that is made with real milk and sugar. Most flavored creamers are full of junk, and slowly transitioning to "real" ingredients might let you taper off of it easier, or at least use less with better quality ingredients.

ETA: I used regular flavored, then switched to natural, then just cream and sugar and now nothing. It really lets you enjoy the taste of coffee instead of just sugar. Also try flavored grounds for variety. There are also some nice teas.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Why get over it? To me, it's totally worth the the 40 or 60 calories in my sugar-free vanilla creamer!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hey there DMUND, I have to say I went completely cold turkey. My coffee used to be light tan in color and people would tell me all the time "you aren't drinking coffee, you are drinking tan nectar". One day I just cut it all out and went straight to black. NO GOING BACK!

It takes some adjusting, for me it was about 6 months for it to go from complete swil to something I cannot live without!

You CAN do it!!!!
  • DMUND
    Options
    I have one cup a day with sugar free. It's something I enjoy, I could never give up my creamer!

I was using sugar free, but read so many bad things about sugar substitutes that I decided if I'm going to drink it, I'll drink it naturally. Plus, I work at a sugarbeet factor that produces pure sugar. Nothing better than fresh sugar!!! And, it's only 10 calories per tsp.
  • DMUND
    Options
    Try an all natural creamer, or something that is made with real milk and sugar. Most flavored creamers are full of junk, and slowly transitioning to "real" ingredients might let you taper off of it easier, or at least use less with better quality ingredients.

ETA: I used regular flavored, then switched to natural, then just cream and sugar and now nothing. It really lets you enjoy the taste of coffee instead of just sugar. Also try flavored grounds for variety. There are also some nice teas.

Love your way of thinking!!!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I switched to skim milk BUT if you aern't drinking a lot, then you really shouldn't have to sacrifice it. MAny people here advocate using and keeping their morning cup of jo the same during their change because it is not something they intend to change for the long haul. Others will state that the high fat creamers actually assist in weight loss as long as it isn't in unrealistic quantities.

I use skim at home and full on half and half at work... The work cup of coffee comes on during the cold weather, it is a comfort that helps keep me warm and ticking during hibernation season. If you aren't consuming large amounts, then I wouldn't worry too much. Switch to a sweetener like Stevia (all natural) and bump to skim or keep the creamer and just reduce the amount you use.

Also, if you really want to get on with switching to black coffee, I suggest making your coffee less strong than usual, this may help with the change and overcoming the "bitter" taste everyone finds hindering. I used to drink black, I can do either now just fine I just prefer it with cream and sweetener now.

Another thing you could try that is REALLY healthy is switching to Vanilla Almond Milk. A bit more pricey but VERY healthy, low in calories, high in calcium... Good alternative.
  • DMUND
    Options
    Hey there DMUND, I have to say I went completely cold turkey. My coffee used to be light tan in color and people would tell me all the time "you aren't drinking coffee, you are drinking tan nectar". One day I just cut it all out and went straight to black. NO GOING BACK!

It takes some adjusting, for me it was about 6 months for it to go from complete swil to something I cannot live without!

You CAN do it!!!!

If only I had the courage!! 6 months is a long time to get used to something!!! It didn't even take that long to get used to an exercise program...lol!
  • Yvette22Hernandez
    Yvette22Hernandez Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups in the AM and measure with my tablespoon...1tb=35 calories. I usually have 2tbs...then have a liter of water. I'll also have different flavored teas, and, at night, not all the time but at times, when i want something warm and sweet to drink after dinner, I'll drink a Swiss (Diet) Hot Chocolate 25 calories---just for a treat.
  • DMUND
    Options
    I switched to skim milk BUT if you aern't drinking a lot, then you really shouldn't have to sacrifice it. MAny people here advocate using and keeping their morning cup of jo the same during their change because it is not something they intend to change for the long haul. Others will state that the high fat creamers actually assist in weight loss as long as it isn't in unrealistic quantities.

I use skim at home and full on half and half at work... The work cup of coffee comes on during the cold weather, it is a comfort that helps keep me warm and ticking during hibernation season. If you aren't consuming large amounts, then I wouldn't worry too much. Switch to a sweetener like Stevia (all natural) and bump to skim or keep the creamer and just reduce the amount you use.

Also, if you really want to get on with switching to black coffee, I suggest making your coffee less strong than usual, this may help with the change and overcoming the "bitter" taste everyone finds hindering. I used to drink black, I can do either now just fine I just prefer it with cream and sweetener now.

Another thing you could try that is REALLY healthy is switching to Vanilla Almond Milk. A bit more pricey but VERY healthy, low in calories, high in calcium... Good alternative.

Thanks for the advice. I do like my coffee strong...I think I make it that way so the flavor comes through all the creamer!!! bahaha....kind of defeating the purpose???
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Buy better quality coffee. Good quality coffee doesn't need anything.

Cream and sugar is what you add to bad coffee to disguise the taste.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee lover and used to only drink it with sugar and milk. I like the flavor coffees if I am drinking it black - french vanilla or similar. I also recently got some SO Coconut Milk creamer which is delicious and more natural than usual creamers. It IS possible :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I do like my coffee strong...I think I make it that way so the flavor comes through all the creamer!!! bahaha....kind of defeating the purpose???
    That's backwards. Weaker coffee is actually more bitter. Coffee is made by water dissolving the compounds out of the bean. By using less coffee, the water dissolves more out of each ground, leading to more bitter compounds in your cup.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I switched to using vanilla almond milk (if you have an Aldi's nearby its pretty cheap there!) 90 calories for an entire cup of it if you need to add that much! Now I drink my first cup with about 1/3 cup of almond milk in it and after that its black. Once in awhile I'll treat myself to a cup with half & half in it (which was my old favorite!) but mostly I'm fine with it black. I actually bought a couple flavoured creamers awhile ago and I'm so used to it without that it just tastes chemically and blech.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I hear about coffee creamer a lot and I don't think we have it in the UK. Some I've read about makes the cup of coffee 200 - 300 cals!

What one poster said is right; buy a good quality coffee for a start. A good coffee is worth the money and tastes much better with nothing in it than a rubbish one.

You could try cutting down on the amount you use gradually and then stopping completely. I used to have 2 sugars in my tea, and one day I just stopped. I thought it tasted vile at first, but after about a week I could never go back.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options

You CAN do it!!!!

If only I had the courage!! 6 months is a long time to get used to something!!! It didn't even take that long to get used to an exercise program...lol!

It took my husband a week LOL! I fought it hahahahaha! Seriously though, best decision I ever made. I could use the sugar free stuff and the artificial stuff but those tend to taste even sweeter and for me they cause me cravings for other sweet stuff and that is my downfall so cold turkey worked best!
  • DMUND
    Options
    Buy better quality coffee. Good quality coffee doesn't need anything.

Cream and sugar is what you add to bad coffee to disguise the taste.

Any suggestions?? Right now I just use Folgers.