Should I keep running?

Options
I decided 2 weeks ago to train for a 5 K run and am using the Couch to 5 K program. I'm concerned about my aching knees. They're not swollen but have been aching for 2 weeks. I did figure out that the sidewalks in my neighborhood are terrible (buckled and slanted in many places) so I was going to run around the track at our neighborhood school instead. I'm 43 years old and I do have a Vitamin D deficiency which I'm being treated for. I'm wondering if running is really the best thing for me. Any thoughts?

Replies

• coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've had issue training for the 5k as well. I'll first let you know I've NEVER been a runner... never ran. I'm 41 and just look at my ticker and you'll see I'm severely obese. My first attempt I did everything wrong, bad shoes, no warm up and just pushed myself to hard to fast. I ended up with issues with my feet that took months to heel. I just back on the C25K training again once heeled doing it ALMOST right.. good shoes and warming up.. then I jumped the weeks training to fast and burned myself out. I'm starting again. if I have to repeat a week of training I'm letting myself. You have to work at your own pace.. if you are on week 2 go back to week one. if week one is hurting just walk and do as many sets of running as you can.. even one or two. Eventually you'll build up the muscles. You'll be losing weight along the way too so that will take some of the pressure off the knees. Remember ONE pound adds FOUR pounds of pressure on the knees..

Good luck!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Thanks. You're right. If I can't do this 5 K, then I'll do another one later. I have lost most of the weight I needed to so I don't think that's the issue. I just haven't run since I played soccer in high school. Those muscles aren't used to being worked so hard. I'm just going to have to listen to my body and do what feels right. I do stretch well and I have good running shoes but I was running on a really terrible slanted surface which put most of the weight on one knee.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have never run because I have left knee problems. Then my husband decided he wanted us to do a 5K together, so I started the C25K. But had the knee pain. But after working through it, I no longer have the pain AT ALL (it would flare up other times too). For me, I think building up the muscles around the knee to help support made a difference. Definitely take are of yourself tho. And I totally agree with the perfect shoes. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yeah, take your time with it. I've never been a runner, never been obese or severely overweight and I started up running this year only time find that after about a month into my shins were killing me and my left knew was giving me problems. I give them a break for a couple weeks and then try again and they flair up again, but I have notice that my muscles there are getting larger and I think it is just that I need to give them time to build up to support running.

If you can find yourself an elliptical to "practice" on in the meantime that can keep your stamina going while you wait this one out.
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A slanted sidewalk does not sound ideal. Running really slowly is a great way to break the body in, and because it is not so hard you'll be more motivated to go out and do it. I am a real running (slow jog actually) fan. You can do it anywhere for free and the races are fun.

I also agree that building up the muscles around the knee is really important. If you do go to a gym the Leg Extension machine is the one you want. You will certainly find loads of other exercises on the net which you can do at home. Sitting on a chair and raising your leg with a resistance band would do it.

Good luck ... hope it works out for you. For some people knees, backs or hips do prevent them from running, but hopefully that is not you.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker and as I walk the track at my local park, I have noticed a few runners alternating between the the blacktop and the grass along the track. I assumed this was to lower the impact on the ankles, knees, ect.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Running on concrete is hard on your body. Run on the street instead of the sidewalk. Asphalt is not as hard as concrete or if you can a track at a local school. I even notice when I go for long walks my feet get more sore walking on concrete than asphalt. Take care of your knees, back off when they hurt! THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER RACE, YOUR KNEES YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH!
  • biokim17
    biokim17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As a couple of other people mentioned, I think you need to build up the muscles. Also, shoes were mentioned...this is another very key point. I would encourage you to go to a local running store and have them watch you run/walk to look for pronation. If you are pronating, but aren't in a shoe to help support your foot, that will also cause knee pain. The shoes will be more expensive, but nothing is better than when you find the right shoe. For me, its a Brooks Adreniline. The shoe costs about $100 depending on sales, but every time I put on a new pair, I tell my husband that its just the most amazing shoe ever. Good luck in your training!
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For sure as others have mentioned find another surface to run on other than concrete especially if you already get knee soreness. Up until a few years ago, I ran competively and a good rule of thumb that always worked for me was if I was having pain but it subsided while running it was okay to continue. But if it got worse while running it was a sign to stop.

Knee pain is quite common in beginning runners, kind of a dull ache. I'm not a doc but my take is that if there is no swelling it is just normal beginner pain. Try icing your knees after your workouts. I put water in a small syrofoam cup and freeze it. Then I just peel it from the top down while rubbing it on the area that is sore. Also, you may be having a shoe problem. The wrong shoe causes lots of people to have problems. Even though shoes cost a bit more at running stores, I think it is worth every penny getting the advice of a knowlegeable person when choosing the right shoe.

Since you are getting treatment for the Vitamin D defeciency I don't think that is an issue. Actually, the New England Journal of Medicine reported recently that 75% of Americans are Vitamin D deficent and I'm sure a lot of them are running without any problems. :) Good luck with it.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A fitness columnist in the Calgary Herald wrote a few years ago that a brisk (or eve power) walk is much more efficient at burning calories than a slow run. So if you're running to lose weight, a brisk walk may be better for you, especially if it means you will exercise longer....you may end up burning the same or less calories in the end, but at least your knees won't be aching!

I believe that running is not for everyone, that some of us are just not built for it. I have never been able to run, even when I was a lot younger and a lot thinner, but I can walk for hours.

Good luck in your journey!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    My thought is that you are running in the wrong kind of shoes.... Get fitted by a professional for good running shoes and possibly insoles. It's amazing how much difference it can make.

If I were you, I'd not stop running unless a doctor tells you that you shouldn't.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Ran a mile and a half on the school track today. My knees don't hurt at all. I think the softer, flatter surface helped tremendously.
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That's great news! Yes, concrete can really be a beat down. Glad to hear the knees are better.