Good Morning America 3/27/2010 calorie counting apps for iph

snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Good Morning America is going to do a feature on calorie counter apps. The teaser for the show warned to watch for the dangers in them.

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Here's a link for the article on their website. I had to go find it since GMA Weekend isn't shown in my area. I thought I'd share.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/calorie-counting-smartphone-applications-stoke-eating-disorders/story?id=9691227
  • snookeroo
    Well, their expert said the buddy system is the way to go.
    Isn't that what My Fitness Pal is?
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Thanks for sharing! With everything there is good and bad. All we can do is encourage our friends to eat their amount of calories and be supportive. One thing I noticed the article mentioned was that she was raised to clean her plate. I don't think this made her have her eating disorder but it was another control factor that she wasn't in control of. I guess as a parent I need to make sure my children serving are reasonable. I know I tell my children they need to eat more when they ask to be done. I don't think they are full when they ask to be done. They either don't want to eat what I made for supper or they are more interested in going back to play. And a lot of times they ask for something else to eat when they are done. Sometimes I let them be done but keep their plates so if they want something to eat that is what they get. I guess the key for parents is making sure your children are eating healthy and learning healthy eating habits.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Thanks for sharing! With everything there is good and bad. All we can do is encourage our friends to eat their amount of calories and be supportive. One thing I noticed the article mentioned was that she was raised to clean her plate. I don't think this made her have her eating disorder but it was another control factor that she wasn't in control of. I guess as a parent I need to make sure my children serving are reasonable. I know I tell my children they need to eat more when they ask to be done. I don't think they are full when they ask to be done. They either don't want to eat what I made for supper or they are more interested in going back to play. And a lot of times they ask for something else to eat when they are done. Sometimes I let them be done but keep their plates so if they want something to eat that is what they get. I guess the key for parents is making sure your children are eating healthy and learning healthy eating habits.

What a smart Mom! Having your children finish their dinner later gives them good food and doesn't fall for their attempt to eat something less healthy. We do that with our grandson--it works well. He knows we love him. ;) BJB
  • snookeroo
    If you missed this mornings GMA, perhaps you can view it ON DEMAND or maybe ABC wll put the video in their web site.
  • snookeroo
    You can now watch the story Good Morning America aired Saturday, March 27.

"Dangers of Calorie-Counting Smart Phone Apps
    Applications helping dieters count calories eaten can lead to eating disorders. "

Here's a link. Once there, go to Saturdays's tab

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend

Or if you prefer, here is a link to the article

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/calorie-counting-smartphone-applications-stoke-eating-disorders/story?id=9691227
This discussion has been closed.