8.8 lbs lost 1st week?!?!?!

Options
I just weighed-in after my 1st week. It shows i've lost 8.8 pounds. This just scared me a little. Ok, so I've ate 1000-1200 calories every day this past week. I know some days it's a little low, but I'm trying to work on raising that without raising carbs. I've been doing research on foods with those characteristics. I was eating really bad before starting this and no exercise at all. I have worked out all by one day last week. Usually 30 min each time and some days a little strength training. My scale was either really off the first week, or I lost alot...idk how to react to this...i dont want to go back up, but I know it's not safe to lose this much. I realize that next week I could go up a couple or stay the same or lose. Is it possible that my body was carrying alot of water weight? Is it possible that my body is just "surprised"? Please tell me your opinions.

Replies

• TRThurston
    Options
    I would say some of that is water weight, but thats okay.... it will all balance out, just keep doing what your doing girl! I went and bought myself a scale (it was only $30 at Walmart) and it tells how much water is in your body when you weigh yourself... You should do that too, it willhelp you understand when you gain/lose where it is coming from and if it really is or isn't water weight! Best of luck to you! :D
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to lose that much the first week. It's such a dramatic change. I lost 6 my first week. It'll even out in a week or so and you'll only loose 1-4 a week. I average 2.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article that explains the glycogen storage and release mechanism and how it relates to water weight:
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/energy-stores-lose-weight.htm

For many people, up to 5 pounds lost in the first week could be water because of the release of stored glycogen. That's how these "lose 10 pounds in 3 days" diets work that you see in magazines at the supermarket check-out. But if you think you really lost 8+ pounds of fat in the first week you may want to take another look at your goals. :drinker:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 the first week also. It has slowed down to a normal 1 pound a week or maybe more. Lots of it is water.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I just lost 8.4 this wk. Most of it is water. When I get back to eating healthy and clean, the first week is always more. My calories were between 1600--1800 and exercised 4 days. Things will slow down now.
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    i lost 6 my first week...definitely OMG what are you doing to me? weight. it evens out.

i had challenges with keeping my calories up above 1200 when i first started as well. add good nuts and seeds--like almonds--make sure they are not smoked or salted. raw almonds are really best for you.

also i added dried fruit. i have developed a love for apricots prunes and raisins! they are crazy high in fiber...just be careful you dont overindulge on them..they have the calories.

way to go on the weight loss...even more so on being healthy! :drinker:
  • AJKrunner
    AJKrunner Posts: 10
    Options
    This post explains what to expect while using this site.

<http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations&gt;
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I am happy that i've changed things around, and I shouldn't have been so scared by that number. I was just surprised!!! But hey it's my body being surprised and there's nothing wrong with that. I am perfeclty fine to leveling out to 1-2 pounds per week, because i'll still make my goal. Thanks everyone so much!!
  • LHNichols
    LHNichols Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd just smile and be happy :-)
  • LHNichols
    LHNichols Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try dried cherries too -- they are wonderful! My yummy breakfast is oatmeal with dried cherries and toasted almonds or walnuts and Splenda to sweeten.
  • freeflower3
    freeflower3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1 gallon of water weighs 8 pounds! So, if you've eaten healthier, you have reduced your sodium intake. When you do that, you pee (yipee!) out a lot of water. Some of the lost weight is fat of course, but a lot is water. I wouldn't worry about it. Your weightloss will slow down. Great job! :happy:
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What you are seeing is completely normal! The larger you are, generally the more you will lose in the first week or two. I've lost 7.5 lbs. in only 2 days (this being my first week also). Just maintain your required calories, keep drinking that water and avoid too much sodium and you'll continue to see weight come off....probably to the tune of 2 lbs. a week! You go girl!
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    Just make sure you have a decent amount of carbs...good ones (complex) so you can get all that energy to exercise! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    When I first changed my "diet", I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks so it's completely normal! Your body reacts well when you treat it well! :happy:
  • I lost 8.8 pounds in 2 days!!! I find this a little worrying... But keep at it you're doing great! ????