All you ever need to know about WHEY PROTEIN

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks "whothehellsben"! I just asked this board the other day which was better for me since I started working with weights ... whey or egg protien.. guess this gives me my answer!!! Prost! :drinker:
    PS: Freakin GREAT ticker!!!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The measurement they used was how many of the mRNAs found in a muscle biopsy after x time (one study I read was 40 hours and one was 72) were associated with muscle atrophy. They measured the concentrations of something like 600 mRNAs all associated with different actions (oxidation of fat, growth of muscle, atrophy of muscle, etc...). These mRNAs are always present in the muscle in some concentration and your body is in a constant state of rebuild/repair so you can say that muscle is always being broken down and repaired but the idea is that your net is zero. You want just as much repair as breakdown. Atrophy begins when the mRNAs associated with muscle breakdown are greater than the mRNAs associated with muscle repair. [This is a vast oversimplification of the process].

The 40 hour study I cited (in this thread), found no significant increases in the mRNA associated with muscle atrophy after 40 hours in humans.

I'd feel better if the studies were done on weight training atheletes. seen any like you describe that focused on this population?

I haven't specifically. I know some of the guys (and girls) in the Intermittent Fasting group are bulking and might be able to give you information if you are interested. I could also look through some of the studies and see if I see any (though I don't recall having seen them originally). You might also check out leangains.com (I think they have a section on fasting and bulking) and Eat, Stop, Eat by Brad Pilon (you can find it online as well and that guy definitely lifts and cites all the studies he uses.)

I'm a big fan of the original Eat, Stop, Eat book and am definitely going to spring for the new extended version eventually. Brad Pilon goes through the science of fasting including times when things start to happen and he explains the studies and then cites them so you can look them up yourself. If you are interested or just curious, I could e mail you the original (you could message me your e mail address) or you could buy the extended version I've heard it is well worth the money.

Here's an exerpt from the book that relates to the question:
    Research completed back in 1987 found that a three and a half day fast caused minimal impairments in physical performance measures such as isometric strength, anaerobic capacity or aerobic endurance13. In other words, they found that a three-day fast had no negative effects on how strongly your muscles can contract, your ability to do short-term high intensity exercises, or your ability to exercise at moderate intensity for a long duration.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump Very. Interesting. Thanks.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else worry about getting too much calcium when adding whey protein?

No one? It's just me?

Since you are not getting milk solids, I don't think you would be getting much calcium. My whey protein says 10% of the RDA per serving (about 100 mg.). Not a lot, and it has 10% of the RDA for magnesium (50 mg.) which is good. What is your concern about calcium?
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! And I do love my whey protein!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, tell me again about how multiple studies from over the entire world compiled into one article by a man with a phD is Broscience? Do you guys even try to research the things to try to refute?

Yeah but does he even lift?

**I joke, I joke, I keed, I keed.**

no-squats-or-deadlifts-dont-want-to-get-to-big1_zps78e90e7b.jpg
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    Lots of great information in your posts, CristinaL1983. Thank you!
  • johnathansmith1969
    Options
    what brand did you get