Lifting and Gaining

Options
I started a program this week, lifting pretty heavy weights. I'm doing 2 days on and one day off. My diet has been good but I noticed a steady 1 lb weight gain a day. I think I'm up 3lbs this week. I know it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to have gained that through a 1350-1400 calories a day. So, am I doing something wrong? Or am I missing something here? I am also doing 20-30 mins of cardio/HIIT workouts everyday.

Any advice is much appreciated?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's water retention - your muscles will hold onto water to repair themselves from the lifting. Take measurements - that will be a much better way to see your progress than the scale, especially with lifting. :)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    2 days on and 1 day off? What are you doing on those days? Your muscles need time to recover- that's when they grow and get stronger. Don't do any one body part 2 days in a row, and remember that doing stuff like bench also works your shoulders and triceps, so you don't want to have shoulder day or whatever the day after bench day. If you are doing an upper/lower split, then 2 on 1 off might work. Lifting heavy takes more recovery time, just keep that in mind.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    2 days on and 1 day off? What are you doing on those days? Your muscles need time to recover- that's when they grow and get stronger. Don't do any one body part 2 days in a row, and remember that doing stuff like bench also works your shoulders and triceps, so you don't want to have shoulder day or whatever the day after bench day. If you are doing an upper/lower split, then 2 on 1 off might work. Lifting heavy takes more recovery time, just keep that in mind.
    I'm following the Lee Labrada Lean program from Bodybuilding.com which is basically, Day1 Back/Biceps, Day 2 chest/shoulders/triceps, Day 3 active rest with 30 mins of HIIT, and onto legs, etc for Day 4.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Its pretty normal to gain 1 lb/day when lifting weights.

This is why when you see women that have been doing it for years they weigh thousands of pounds.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in after a rest day because muscles retain water from lifting weights. If I weigh in the day after lifting the scale is always higher. I agree with measurements though. The scale isn't a good source to go by when you're lifting.