New to weights - Trainers, I have some questions

Options
I have been reading through message board posts regarding weights because I just met with a trainer yesterday and I am starting to add weights into my workour regimen.
I came across some information that made me think, what is best for me for the results I am hoping for?

I want to tone my body, but not look like a body builder. I want no flab!
So with that being said - Which amount of reps is best for the outcome I am looking for?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My trainer has me starting with the following:
Day 1
5 mins warmup (make sure you are nice an warm before you touch the weights)

Chest Press + Seated Row
2 mins cardio

Lunges (20 reps)
2 mins cardio

Ab Work (choice/50 reps)
2 mins cardio

***Do three rounds and make your rep counts 20+ (or till it burns bad!)

Day 2
Seated Shoulder Press + Lat Pull down
2 mins cardio

Leg Extension + Leg Curl
2 mins cardio

Bicep Curl + Triceps Extension
2 mins cardio

Plank (1 min)
2 minns cardio

***Do three rounds, make rep counts 20+

***Keep good tempo through the workout. Let me know if you have any questions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the information I am lifting from another post that got me thinking about how many reps I should be doing.

Different rep ranges cause a different type of stress on the body and it reacts differently to each.

The lower rep range (1 – 5) causes neurological adaptations, which is your body developing its ability to activate muscle fibers by increasing the frequency of neural impulses sent to the brain as well as improving intra- and inter-muscle coordination. Basically it makes you stronger but does has a lesser impact to your muscle mass.

The mid rep range (6 – 12) the impact is more on the metabolic and cellular level where you gain muscle mass but strength gains are not as significant as you would get in the lower rep ranges. This is the general rep range for hypertrophy, or mass gains.

The higher rep ranges (13+) stimulate muscle endurance primarily with only a small amount of hypertrophy and very little strength and as such is not considered strength training in the strict sense of the word.

Note, that there is no hard and fast line between the effects of the above, but rather a continuum. Also, the number of sets plays into how much is strength v hypertrophy v endurance. For example, you can do 5 sets of 6 reps for a total of 30 lifts, or you can do 10 sets of 3 lifts for a total of 30 lifts. If you do them to an equivalent level of failure, the time under tension will be the same. The number of sets does not automatically turn it from strength to hypertrophy due to the rest periods between sets, but it does have a bearing on where in the continuum the routine lies.

So, in summary:
1 – 5 reps = strength
6 – 12 reps = hypertrophy
12+ = endurance

So, the appropriate rep ranges really depend on your goals as well as your overall lifting program. Most ‘standard’ programs focus on the upper end of the strength range so benefits of both strength and some hypertrophy are gained.

I got this form my friend sara's post..so not my original words...but good advice :)

So, again, if my goars are I want to tone my body, but not look like a body builder. I want no flab!
Which amount of reps is best for the outcome I am looking for? And for those of you that are experienced with weight training, does the above workout look like a good start for me?

My plan is to actually do 3 days, alternating only cardio on the other 2 days. Taking weekends off until the weather is nicer and I can get outdoors to run. :)

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Replies

• momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good information.... I have been wondering the same thing.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    You have the basis there but what you have not recognised is the percentage of 1RM (One rep max) that you work at within the rep ranges.

Strength - %age of one rep MAX * 5 reps * 5 sets (failure may be achieved but not desirable)
    Hypertrophy - %age of one rep max * 12-15 reps * 2/3 sets or use weight to achieve failure
    Rather than your term I prefer - BURN %age of one rep MAX * 30+ reps * 2 sets

The response from the body is entirley different for each activity - alactic, anaerobic and aerobic and each response recruits different muscle fibres - you could not lift 100% of 1RM for more than one rep - that weight may be 200 kilos but doing a percentage of 200 kilos say 85% and then doinig it 5 times is a greater amount than 1 * 200.

Could go on and on, but yes you are very nearly right and now you know about percentages then you could deduce that to work in all the ranges is the way to go. Power, muscle and burn - but you need a starting point and Starting Strength is a really good place to start.