Replies

• Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A Dallas woman has sued a national fitness company, alleging two employees sexually harassed her during personal training sessions.
    Jamie Johnson filed a lawsuit against Fitness International LLC, which does business under the name LA Fitness, after the company denied her requests for a full refund after she told them she had been subjected to sexually explicit comments by two personal trainers.
    Johnson joined the gym at the end of 2011, and paid for additional personal training sessions. Her attorney, Chase Laws, said her first trainer was great, but things quickly went wrong with her second trainer.
    "He started by making inappropriate comments to her," Laws told ABC News. "Not exactly offensive language directed at her, but inappropriate things about his lifestyle, sexual activities, things like that."
    At one point, the trainer had Johnson perform certain exercises so he "could 'watch her boobs,'" according to the lawsuit filed in Dallas County Court last month. He told Johnson that he could tell when she'd had a "good workout" because "her nipples would get hard," according to the court filing.
    Johnson didn't return to the gym, located in Plano, for a while after that, but when she eventually went back, after receiving psychological counseling, she requested a different trainer. She didn't report the trainer's comments to his supervisor, because she knew the two men were friends, and she didn't feel comfortable speaking about it with him, said Laws. The session with the new trainer, who was randomly assigned to her, subjected her to additional harassing behavior, according to the lawsuit, with this trainer telling her stories of his sexual escapades with his girlfriend.
    "Then he asked her to do the same exercise the last guy asked her to do, but she refused, telling him she was uncomfortable doing it," Laws said. "She eventually told him why, and he laughed hysterically about it, so she left again."
    The next morning, the lawsuit alleges, Johnson received a text message from the last trainer, asking if she "suffers from hard nipple syndrome."
    Shortly after receiving the text, Johnson told the gym administrators about what had happened with the two trainers, and requested a refund of her membership, personal training sessions and extra expenses such as child care, for a total of nearly $2,800. She said her gym gave her a number to call for corporate membership.
    "She called the 800-number they gave her, and they told her no, and offered her $400, and that was it," Laws said.
    Johnson began taking steps to leave the gym in June 2012, and her membership was eventually canceled on July 15, although she was not given the full refund she requested, so she contacted Laws.
    LA Fitness has not responded to requests for comment from ABC News.
    The complaint she filed against Fitness International and the two trainers claims the company engaged in deceptive trade practices, and was negligent in hiring and supervising staff, which, Laws said, constituted breach of contract.
    Johnson's lawsuit claims she and her husband suffered damages, including loss of out-of-pocket expenses and expenses for psychiatric and psychological care, as well as mental anguish.
    "She wants to show employers, specifically LA Fitness, that employees can't treat customers like this, and that if you run a business, you better supervise your employees properly," Laws told ABC. "We haven't gotten any response yet, but she wants to make sure nobody, man, woman, anybody, has to go through what she went through."
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    this isnt something to laugh about. this type of stuff happens ALL THE TIME! i even had a MFP friend complaine of her personal trainer doing this.... its not a joke. Im just happy that this woman had the courage to go through with the harrassment. GOOD FOR HER!

Us ladies need to watch out because this can happen anywhere.. Im proud of this woman for stepping up! I hope she gets the money she deserves..

EDITED! why is this even a topic?? its not funny or to "joke" about... what is this world coming to....
  • LookMaNoHands
    LookMaNoHands Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Some ppl.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this has less to do about "inappropriate exercises" and more to do with "inappropriate comments."
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Us ladies need to watch out because this can happen anywhere.. Im proud of this woman for stepping up! I hope she gets the money she deserves..

Umm, because men can not be sexually harassed?
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's unbelievably awful.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Countdown to "Well, if she didn't want to get those comments, maybe she shouldn't have been wearing tight clothes!"
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    If the manager and the trainer were friends, why didn't she just go over their heads call the corporate office in the first place instead of returning multiple times? They were out of line, no doubt about that, I'm just confused as to why she kept going... ?

I hope she kept that text message. If, so, this will not end well for LA Fitness.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    If the manager and the trainer were friends, why didn't she just go over their heads call the corporate office in the first place instead of returning multiple times? They were out of line, no doubt about that, I'm just confused as to why she kept going... ?

I hope she kept that text message. If, so, this will not end well for LA Fitness.
    she probably kept going because she paid alot for a membership.. these gyms can be soo expensive... maybe she felt like he wouldnt be there or something... this situation sucks i hope she wins..
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options

EDITED! why is this even a topic?? its not funny or to "joke" about... what is this world coming to....men can get harrassed as well but usually men like it.... to boost their egos lol... woman take it as a threat because obviously men can over power us easier...

Who is joking about it?

You come off very childish.
    then ignore me.. that simple...
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options

EDITED! why is this even a topic?? its not funny or to "joke" about... what is this world coming to....men can get harrassed as well but usually men like it.... to boost their egos lol... woman take it as a threat because obviously men can over power us easier...

Who is joking about it?

You come off very childish.

Yup confused...not sure if your referring to it being a joke to the trainers or that this is in the chit chat 'fun' section.

If the lady kept the text that trainer atleast is going to be toast. Idiots
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    ka-pow! man I need to control my anger.......
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wow some ppl are *kitten*! I am shocked!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    That is very wrong, but there is seriously no need for "counseling", as soon as that comment came out of the trainer's mouth, first I'd confront him, then if it kept happening I'd report his *kitten*!!! Sorry, but for me going to a counselor because of a personal trainer trying to hit on you, is a bunch of garbage. Walk it off girl, you will obviously be alright....smh
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If the trainers actually behaved inappropriately - the company should have refunded her money at the very least. If the company didn't respond or even look into the matter, the woman had no other option. I was a member of LA Fitness years ago. I worked with a trainer who was quite professional but that doesn't mean they all are. After the hassle of trying to cancel my membership I would never rejoin their club.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    this isnt something to laugh about. this type of stuff happens ALL THE TIME! i even had a MFP friend complaine of her personal trainer doing this.... its not a joke. Im just happy that this woman had the courage to go through with the harrassment. GOOD FOR HER!

I agree. Though, I don't think its just a matter of the girls watching out for this type of innapropriate behaviour. The guys need to realize that women being sexually harrassed are someone's wife, girlfriend, daughter or mother and be prepared to step in and do somthing about it (if required).
    Its 2013, not the dark ages.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

"usually men like it.... to boost their egos..." What??

It's sexist and highly inappropriate to suggest in a topic that is obviously against sexual harassment that some people like it.
  • nosillanosilla
    Options
    What exactly are inappropriate exercises?
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If what these people did is true, it's shocking and incredibly inappropriate. What I don't get is why she just didn't tell them off or report them right when it happened? It's not like this happened in the workplace where there could be a "quid pro quo" environment or punitive action that could be taken against her. They act like *kitten*, she tells them off, she leaves. End of story.