I feel alot slimmer but scale isn't going down much

Options

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Screw the scale! It's just a number and does NOT say anything about you. If you are feeling slimmer and healthier, that's what counts. Keep up the great work!
  • ohwe8it2
    Options
    super interesting 155 pound woman comparison picture--i don't see the pounds dropping either but i see my belly fat dropping--encouraging!
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    I have the same issue... It causes such a battle in my head.. .Hmmm..My clothes are fitting looser, my face is thinner, people say i look thinner, but the numbers on the scale disappear very s l o w l y... So, don't let the scale define you. If you feel better, feel thinner, cloethes are looser, then move forward and forget about the lousy numbers on the scale. Eventually the numbers will come down once your body acclimates to the changes. Tell yourself you are the Winner of this battle and keep moving!!! And yes, do take measurements. If you can't feel successful on the scale but see results, feel successful with the measuring tape!

Best of luck to you.. You've got this!
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    forget the scale! everyone is telling you how good you look and how thinner you already are ! let that inspire you! i wanna lose weight as well, but once i get to a certain range, i wont care about the weight itself, but the tone and how i feel when i get dressed! thats all that matters! go you ! keep it up!
  • prettymorbidity
    Options
    I have the same issue... It causes such a battle in my head.. .Hmmm..My clothes are fitting looser, my face is thinner, people say i look thinner, but the numbers on the scale disappear very s l o w l y... So, don't let the scale define you. If you feel better, feel thinner, cloethes are looser, then move forward and forget about the lousy numbers on the scale. Eventually the numbers will come down once your body acclimates to the changes. Tell yourself you are the Winner of this battle and keep moving!!! And yes, do take measurements. If you can't feel successful on the scale but see results, feel successful with the measuring tape!

Best of luck to you.. You've got this!

^ what she said!
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't go by the scale -- although I say that but have a hard time myself. :) I've stayed off of it for a few weeks. I'm feeling slimmer and clothes are fitting looser so I know I am making progress in become more fit. I almost got on the scale this morning but I didn't want it to put me in a bad mood. Don't let it mess with your head. Go by measurements and how you're feeling!
  • prettymorbidity
    Options
    same thing happened to me this morning. I started dieting and exercising around Jan 20th (even though I started on myfitnesspal account Jan.31st) and I feel lighter and thinner and I am fitting in my clothes more easily and others have pointed out that my face looks thinner as well as my overall body. I go on the scale this morning and nada. nothing. not one pound lighter. I am starting to wonder if this is water retention.

^ perhaps it is....try taking in more water through the day. it will flush it out. "water" weight is simply gained from eating too much sodium and you go poof when you drink water, but if you drink ALOT of water, it will flush itself out. try lowering your sodium and make sure you aren't drinking any types of soda.
  • klkniffen
    Options
    :blushing: Thanks for all the positive responses, I just found my measuring tape and I am going to start that today. Also are there any workouts that really helped people lose weight or kickstart fat loss that worked for you guys? I am interested in cardio right now, I meet with a trainer next week to learn a weight training program.
  • LM_hustle
    LM_hustle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    muscle does NOT weight more than fat.

1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat

the VOLUME of 1 lb of fat is a lot bigger than the VOLUME of 1 lb of muscle. With that in mind, if you take off 5 lbs of fat and replace it with 5 lbs of muscle, you will technically weigh the same but look thinner because of this.

So.....maybe you have lost fat inches and replaced them with muscle, and that is OK!!!! IN FACT, IT'S GREAT!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am a scale aholic and I too have not lost anything since the beginning of Janaury, but I feel like my clothes are looser. I have been working out 5-6 times a week, and have had some cheat days. I am trying to avoid the scale, but it is really hard to get away from!

Best of luck in your journey!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Tip: forget the scale and use measuring tap!
    Support: You look great :-)

You are busting your butt to look good and be healthy not for a certain number.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Thanks for all the positive responses, I just found my measuring tape and I am going to start that today. Also are there any workouts that really helped people lose weight or kickstart fat loss that worked for you guys? I am interested in cardio right now, I meet with a trainer next week to learn a weight training program.

I was at a 3 month plateau until I started using weights. I've seen great results since I started heaving lifting...
  • SugaRhee
    SugaRhee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As the other comments say... taking measurements is extremely helpful and motivating. You may building muscle, which weighs more than fat, which is a good thing. Muscle burns calories and fat. I've had weight gain but still lost inches. I've noticed this site doesn't track all my favorite body measurements to keep an eye on. I think they should include chest, and thigh at minimum. Bicep and calf would be nice too, but sometimes they get bigger depending on muscle growth and some people don't like to see any gain, but I find it encouraging to know as I am developing more muscle. But how you feel is most important! :smile:
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Remember when you start increasing exercise your muscles start retaining more water for repair too, the scale is just a guide it says nothing of body composition, as other have said use the scales as a rough tool along with taking your measurements (which are a better indicator of fat loss) you may have lost many more pounds of fat than the scales indicate.

For example you may have lost 8 pounds of fat but gained half a pound of muscle (women gain extra muscle very slowly in comparrison to our testosterone fuelled counterparts) and your freshly challenged muscles may be retaining 2.5 pounds of extra water as they need to heal as they strengthen.

Ps This is just info I've gleaned from similar threads and questions, but to the best of my amateur knowledge I believe this is fairly acurate :)
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

the VOLUME of 1 lb of fat is a lot bigger than the VOLUME of 1 lb of muscle. With that in mind, if you take off 5 lbs of fat and replace it with 5 lbs of muscle, you will technically weigh the same but look thinner because of this.

So.....maybe you have lost fat inches and replaced them with muscle, and that is OK!!!! IN FACT, IT'S GREAT!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

THANK YOU! :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale - embrace the tape measure! Over a period of six months my scale didn't change at all, but I lost fat and inches and dropped a full pants size. Who cares what the scale says?? :bigsmile:
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged at all. I have had the exact thing happen to me. I have gone from barely fitting into size 22 to fitting into 18 with wiggle room but according to the scale I have only lost 12 lbs.

So pay attention to your body not the scale. Even though I know it is super hard. :tongue:
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Not in relation to size it doesn't. Man, how I hate this argument. You might as well say that gold doesn't weigh more than cotton just because a pound is a pound. That's not the point. The point is how much of each it takes to make a pound. How heavy each is. Muscle tissue is heavier than fatty tissue, flat out, that's a fact. So it takes less muscle tissue to equal a pound (as it is a heavier and denser substance) than it takes fatty tissue. Muscle IS heavier than fat. Those who don't get that fact and just want to say a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound have issues. No one is ever saying a pound isn't a pound when they say muscle is heavier than fat.
  • rmcminn89
    Options
    its very possible. I've only lost 5.5 pounds, but last night my trainer measured me and I've lost 10.7 inches all over my body combined. I recommend taking measurements along with checking the scale, especially if you are exercising.
  • Millie2045
    Options
    I agree with all the above I was disheartened at the beginning of the
    week as the scales said I have put on 2 pounds but today I can start seeing
    a difference in my shape & a couple of other people have also noticed that
    I'm starting to get my waist back.(I started doing the 30 day shred 8 days ago)
    I have been obsessed with the scales but am not going to worry about them
    again until I finish all 3 levels :-))