Breakfast ideas - Low carb, no eggs

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
I went to the Nutritionist yesterday. Basically, she told me to keep my meals under 45g of carbs and I can only have 15 addiitonal fat grams a day (you only count items of food that have five grams of fat or more), which means if I have one egg (5 g of fat), that is a third of my fat grams! (Which is a bummer, since my go-to breakfast is usually a hard boiled egg and berries).

Any ideas of a low carb breakfast that doesn't include eggs? Oh, and it has to be something I can eat in my car...

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bacon
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a challenge!

whey shake
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Egg whites with sliced turkey
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yikes that is a challenge.
    I do smoothies almost EVERY morning. I use water instead of milk to cut down on the sugars.
    I also LOVE Julie Eason's protein bar recipes, (Google her) most are low carb but you can tweek them to be lower.
    Best of luck!
  • bluebirdlx
    Options
    If you're allowing yourself to use things like low carb tortillas maybe you can make a breakfast burrito with either sausage or bacon, veggies and cheese. Also, you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods. I've had pieces of cold leftover chicken and made chicken salad for breakfast.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Did your quack.. er.. nutritionist not bother to provide any examples?
  • lmkaks
    Options
    Bacon

I WISH!
    Actually, she listed eight foods you should never eat, bacon was one of them (in fact, all eight were foods I would consider a favorite...)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have been loving your breakfasts! Every time I see strawberries-blueberries-eggs, I think..."next time I am hungry I am going to have some." Are you sure it is 15g fat daily or current fat + 15 additional g of fat? Low fat does not work for me, but restraining carbs to the range you are doing does work for me. i am older and not super active, so I do not want to eat too much protein--hence that leaves me with fat. Fat from nuts. Fat from oils Fat from egg yolks. I never got into egg-whtes-only, But if your nutritionist did say 15g/daily then egg whites could be an option for you.

I am feeling for you! The onetime I had super low fat targets like that was 2y ago, when my Doctor said that I should try a super low kcal diet for 6 months--which meant cutting my fats to 20g then to 15g daily. I was hungry much of the day and ofter a couple of months my stamina was dropping and I had only lost ~5lbs!!!!

You do a lot of challenging workouts, so you might be prime for more protein, and hence kcal, then I can handle. In which case fish and skinless chicken could be eaten more. I even think that there are some legumes that are lower in carbs (edame?), so that you could invent Tex-Mex dishes that are high in flavor via spices, while being low in fat.

:flowerforyou:
  • lmkaks
    Options

Not really, she said cottage cheese (which I can't stomach) and talked a lot about turkey and chicken breasts...I am just not feeling those for breakfast.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    Egg whites with sliced turkey

Yes, DUH! Egg whites!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Also, did the quack-nutritionist explain why the super low fat? This seems extreme to me. I did low fat twenty years ago when it was the craze. It made me very hungry and cranky. I lost fast, but it could never have been a permanent change.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, nuts or PB2 powder ...or greek yogurt with nuts and PB2 in it :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    Bacon

I WISH!
    Actually, she listed eight foods you should never eat, bacon was one of them (in fact, all eight were foods I would consider a favorite...)

Did she say WHY you can't eat it? Like, any sound medical reason?
  • lmkaks
    Options
    I have been loving your breakfasts! Every time I see strawberries-blueberries-eggs, I think..."next time I am hungry I am going to have some." Are you sure it is 15g fat daily or current fat + 15 additional g of fat? Low fat does not work for me, but restraining carbs to the range you are doing does work for me. i am older and not super active, so I do not want to eat too much protein--hence that leaves me with fat. Fat from nuts. Fat from oils Fat from egg yolks. I never got into egg-whtes-only, But if your nutritionist did say 15g/daily then egg whites could be an option for you.

I am feeling for you! The onetime I had super low fat targets like that was 2y ago, when my Doctor said that I should try a super low kcal diet for 6 months--which meant cutting my fats to 20g then to 15g daily. I was hungry much of the day and ofter a couple of months my stamina was dropping and I had only lost ~5lbs!!!!

You do a lot of challenging workouts, so you might be prime for more protein, and hence kcal, then I can handle. In which case fish and skinless chicken could be eaten more. I even think that there are some legumes that are lower in carbs (edame?), so that you could invent Tex-Mex dishes that are high in flavor via spices, while being low in fat.

:flowerforyou:

I have been loving my breakfasts too, but one cup of berries is a carb serving and one egg is 1/3 of my fat.

She calculated fat by "additional" fats. So, if a food has 4g of fat or less, I am fine, but if it has 5g of fat or more, I have to count it towards my 15 fat grams for the day.

Basically, I need to be on a diet of lean protein and veggies. I liked counting calories better - didn't seem as restrictive.

I think I will continue to count calories, but aim to keep my carbs and fat at her recommended levels. Carbs I may be able to do, fat...I just don't know.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Bacon

I WISH!

I was going to say that until I saw the low fat thing.

If you are going to follow it, lean meats and veg would be the thing. 45g of carbs per meal is workable I guess. Especially if you snack all of the time...
  • sglover14
    sglover14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and veggies - I dont understand the eat in your car part. I could eat a steak in my car if I really wanted to... so do you mean it can't be something that needs to be cooked?
    Personally, I eat 4-6 scrambled egg whites and sautéed veggies when I'm on my low day of carb cycling - throw it in a mug and you're good to eat it on your way.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    Bacon

I WISH!

Did she say WHY you can't eat it? Like, any sound medical reason?

No, just to do this if I want to lose weight.

I have been monitoring/cutting calories since Jan 2nd and wasn't losing weight. She said it was because my carbs and fat were too high (even though I was under my calorie level of 1820/day and exercising 4x a week).
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I actually just learned I am allergic to eggs, and I am also Gluten Free. I usually have chex cereal with almond milk, but you can also do yogurt and fruit, bacon, sausage, and ham. Maybe try apples with a nut butter like sun butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
  • sglover14
    sglover14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also just read below 45g per meal, not per day.... that's super easy.
    Quick 1 minute quaker oats 1/2 cup (which is PLENTY and filling)
    splenda
    1/2 cup to 1 cup sliced strawberries (prep them and leave them sliced in your fridge)

Add cinnamon if you like

I eat this 5 days a week and it's under 45g carbs
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Bacon

I WISH!

I would find a new nutritionist.

I also want to say that I looked at your diary (every single day). Your carbs aren't really high anyway. Most days you are around 150g. That's not high. And, if you laid off the sodium a little, you would probably see some weight loss (without having to be crazy restrictive).