Bruised legs after workout

Options
Quick question for you all. I've been exercising 6 days a week for the past 2 weeks and noticed I've got bruising on the backs of my legs. Is that something that can come from a lot of exercise? If so what would be the best way to help prevent this from recurring.

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I have also just begun to run and have noticed more bruises on my legs, though mine are also on my inner thighs. In college, I lived in a mountainous region where everyone constantly walks uphill and that tended to make my legs bruise as well. I went to the doctor to ask about it and he told me that it could just be that your muscles and blood vessels are not as strong as you think. He also took some blood samples from me and informed me that I have some vitamin deficiencies which can cause bruising.

If you are not doing strenous exercise and you are not hitting your legs on anything, I would advise seeing a doctor if you can. This is important if they are painful. It could indicate an underlying medical condition. Most likely, it is just from exercising too hard and you have to work your muscles up to taking the strain though.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    See a doctor, that's not normal.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I first started circuit training I had bruises all over my lower legs, I also got wacked by the arc trainer and ended up with a hell of a bruise . I tend to bruise easy though, I did buy some iron pills though hoping this would help.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bruising and Exercise

"Intense exercise that puts a lot of stress on the legs can lead to bruising, particularly if you are performing the exercise for a long period of time. The exercise weakens your muscles and blood vessels, which can eventually lead to bruising. Marathon running is a good example of this. However, if you are bruising while performing less stressful exercises, and your legs aren't inadvertently being struck or bumping into something, you may have an underlying problem with your blood or blood vessels. In that case, exercising is just making the problem worse, leading to bruising."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/505433-bruised-legs-after-exercising/#ixzz2KKiBpm4I
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal, bruising is not. Definitely see a doctor.
  • JenPock
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. I'm defiantly not bumping into anything, but will talk to my Doctor about it. Thanks again.