Bullying has gone way too far!!!

Options
Danny_Boy13
Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
This is so sad... this poor kid is now fighting for his life because of some punk kids. Schools / parents really need to get this crap under control:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/bullying-attack-leaves-11-old-coma-213221930--abc-news-topstories.html

A Pennsylvania boy is currently in a medically induced coma after a schoolyard fight with classmates who he and his family claims were bullying him.
Sixth-grader Baily O'Neil, an honors student, of Darby Township, Pa., was involved in a fight four weeks ago at the Darby Township School. He was struck several times in the face by another student; the blow fractured his nose and he fell to the ground.
His parents brought their son, who had a concussion, to the A.I. DuPont hospital in Wilmington, Del., where he was treated and released. But his father saw that something wasn't quite right with their son when they returned home.
"He was sleeping. He was moody. He wasn't himself. He was angry a little bit. He wasn't really eating," Bailey's father Rob told ABC Affiliate WPVI-TV.
Just a few days later, Bailey started having violent seizures and needed to be hospitalized again. The seizures were so bad that doctors at A.I. DuPont were forced to put Bailey in a medically induced coma nearly two weeks ago.
When contacted, A.I. DuPont Hospital was unable to provide an update to ABC News on Bailey's current condition because of privacy laws. His father is trying his best to cope.
"Every day I'm trying to stay strong for him," he told WPVI-TV. "When you get into that hospital room and you're looking at him, I would trade places in a heartbeat. It's my buddy, you know."
Southeast Delco School District Superintendent Stephen Butz told ABCNews.com the school has turned the investigation over to local police and is cooperating fully with their efforts.
"We take bullying seriously," he said. "We are very concerned about the medical condition of the student and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and students."
According to Bailey's father, the boy who struck his son was suspended for two days following the incident, but police have not filed any criminal charges in the case.

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read that this morning. Very sad. :(
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Agree 2 things:

1. How could the school not have seen that anything was wrong with the kid?!?
    2. I hope that bully gets what's comin'!
  • TexanAngel79
    Options
    I agree!! Things have gone too far!!!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    After reading this it makes me want to start up some kind of awareness group but I wouldn't know where to begin. Something for me to look into.
  • FGVC1188
    FGVC1188 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    He might have had an underlying medical condition. I dont think 11 year olds are strong enough to give eachother brain damage from a fight.
    Dont act like school age boys fight more now than in the past.
    Still very sad.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    After reading this it makes me want to start up some kind of awareness group but I wouldn't know where to begin. Something for me to look into.

There's something that's already being done in middle schools called "Rachel's challenge" that's a bullying awareness message.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    I dont think 11 year olds are strong enough to give eachother brain damage from a fight.

It could have been from him falling and hitting his head on the ground that caused it. IT does not take much of a hit for one to get a head injury and obviously 11 year olds are strong enough to cause brain damage. He had a concussion....how did he get that on his own?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I really wish bullying was prevented and not treated after the fact, I also hold this ideal for kids with depression.

Kids need to learn consequences and not just a slap on the wrist of a two-day suspension. That bully should have been formally charged and put through the system and had previous behavior proven to show he is a risk so that they can take steps to correct the bully type behaviour.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    He might have had an underlying medical condition. I dont think 11 year olds are strong enough to give eachother brain damage from a fight.
    Dont act like school age boys fight more now than in the past.
    Still very sad.

Yes, he might have had an underlying medical condition, but you underestimate how little effort it can take to cause brain damage.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options

There's something that's already being done in middle schools called "Rachel's challenge" that's a bullying awareness message.

Rachel's challenge is for all ages. They came to my high school when I was a senior. She was a victim of Columbine. RIP.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This is more than bullying. This is assault. A crime.

Absolutely heartbreaking.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just read that! It is very sad and the bottom of MY article would have read "and charges HAVE BEEN FILED". I am disgusted with some parents that think that a "little scuffle" in the schoolyard is acceptable. Umm..no. You should be held accountable for their children at all time. I hope the parent of the "bully" has taken some type of action.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    Ugh. So sad. My son has high functioning Aspergers and has had issues with bullying - he's unique and other kids just don't seem to understand. I think they are afraid of what they don't understand, and as a result - they bully. That and let's face it...some kids are just a-holes because they have a-hole parents. Hard to bring awarness to those that are ignorant and see nothing wrong with what's going on in front of them. But hey, we have to keep trying!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    While there is bullying that goes on both in school and thru our entire lives lets be careful how we treat this. There are a lot of things I dealt with growing up that would be considered bullying by todays standards. I look back and I am glad I had to learn how to cope with many different people. I taught my kids, when I was married if you have problems with someone trying to intimidate you 1. Tell the teacher 2. tell the counselor 3. Whoop their *kitten* so they can not get up and come after you and stab or shoot you at that moment and have the Principal call me. I did not send my kids to school to fight but they were expected to look after themselves and their sister.

My rule..I had better never hear of you starting a fight and I had better never hear of you getting beat up without defending yourself to the fullest extent.

BTW, I hope this child does not suffer any permanent damage.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    I am disgusted with some parents that think that a "little scuffle" in the schoolyard is acceptable. Umm..no. You should be held accountable for their children at all time.

I could nto agree any more with this statement. Look at pet owners. If a pet attacks then the owner is punished. Same should be for the parents whom can not keep their child in line.
  • ShaunShaunphenomenon
    Options
    I agree, it has gone too far. I have fought in my day but it wasn't anything that was serious, just scuffles and things of that nature. i think that this has progressed. It's nothing like it was, it was 1vs 100 kids now a days.

I know in Canada Bullying is not tolerated(it still happens) but people after a local girl hung herself because of bullying invoked a lot of the local people to take up arms. We had a day where you wore purple against bullying and such things. I think it was a very good thing. Also there are many other forms of this. mental and others.

I honestly think it should be similar to show your support for other causes, because you should have a day where it's made aware that you know about it. Bullying will never disappear, but if you can prevent a few of these things happening then it would be worth it in my opinion.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    My rule..I had better never hear of you starting a fight and I had better never hear of you getting beat up without defending yourself to the fullest extent.

BTW, I hope this child does not suffer any permanent damage.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCvYh4830QB67WIpiOJcXSXzZMxYar1u5xJnir5ZvDIDG0_kxr4A
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Once you look into it, let me know, I would be happy to join you. This is what happened where I live not too long ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Amanda_Todd

Here is a link to the video she made about bullying before she committed suicide last year, she was 16 years old.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRxfTyNa24A

Completely unacceptable. I am so shocked that so many people turn a blind eye when they see these horrible things going on and right it off as boys being boys or it is part of growing up. Makes me sick.

My own brother drank a bottle of camping fuel because he couldn't take what he was going through every day at high school, luckily he survived (both the fuel, and high school) but there are many who we never hear about that don't.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact I took three days off work and took my step-son golfing all three days he was suspended from school for beating a kid up. My step-son was given the task of helping a special needs kid in class since my ss would get bored and be a distraction. One day walking thru the hall this kid was making fun of the special needs kid and my ss said to me "it made me so mad that I went nuts on him and it never crossed my mind to tell anyone."

Note: People made fun of my grandfather because he had a speech impediment and walked with built up shoe from 2 heart attacks and 2 strokes that he survived so my family has a special place for those that are "different" because we know they are better people for surviving daily and loving other more than themselves.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is so sad! I find that although bullying has been around for years (for ever really), it has evolved to a new level of cruelty. I was bullied as a kid, but never to this point. I thought it was hard then but now I look at it and think.. "wow! I had it easy".
    Yes, it could be an underlying medical condition, but concussions happen way more than we ever thought (with new techonology and such). My co-worker's 6 year old daughter had a concussion after falling on the ice and hitting her head.
    My heart goes to all the kids and adults who are bullied out there!! xo