Thinking of doing a half marathon..any advice?

abursey1
abursey1 Posts: 36
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey Everyone!
There will be a half marathon in my city on September 27th, and I was thinking about trying it. I was just wondering if any of you MFPers have ever ran one of these and what advice could you give me to help train my body for it. I was also wondering if I had enough time from now until then to train for the marathon...if not, I believe there is also a 5km that I would be willing to do as well. Any advice you guys could give me would be great! You are all so amazing and helpful when it comes to helping out!!

Replies

• tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Go for it! you totally have more then enough time. runnersworld.com has a thing where you can plug in all your info and it'll give you a detailed training schedule. good luck!!!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    I am a newbie runner as well, as of this week I have run 3 days! I just read an amazing book that I would recommend to everyone just starting out, it's very informative and I cant' tell you how often I laughed out loud...seriously you have to atleast see if it's at the library. IT's called The non-runners marathon guide for woman. It has plans for a half marathon and a full marathon in there I found mine at Borders for $10, you can also find them on amazon.com.
    Hope that helps, I don't have much advice yet being a novice myself but there are a lot of running forums on here that i've sifted through that are very helpful!
    Good luck!
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Run Less, Run Faster. It is the F.I.R.S.T. running program developed by Furman University Running Institute. I started FIRST 3 months ago and my first run was 1 mile in 11mins. Yesterday I ran my first 10k and my average pace was 9'35"/mile. I have also went from 225 to 195 in that period of time. By my 1/2 marathon in mid November I should be 165lbs and my goal is under 2'00' for the half. Not so bad for 3 months running and the FIRST program emphasizes cross training. So I still get in my weights, yoga, and cycling. Now that is having your cake and eating it too! http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm is a good taste of the free programs they have published online. Edit- Probably should also mention that "Run Less, Run Faster" is the name of the book and it is produced by RunnersWorld in concert with Furman University.
  • RIG30
    RIG30 Posts: 6
    I have ran two marathons and a couple of half-marathons. Go to runnersworld.com and you will find recommended training schedules for beginners. It is a great resource.
This discussion has been closed.