really confused?

Options
2»

Replies

• anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    go to cooks.com's conversion calculator.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i have trouble sometimes finding the product i want in a kg/g size not cups (we don't do cups here) except for lingerie ;-)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Wow some really unhelpful comments here!

As a Brit, I also have no idea what this mystical measurement of "1 cup" is, so I just try to find an entry of the kind of rice I'm using that is in grams, so many entries just say "1 cup", which could/does mean anything you want it to!

There will be entries for rice in grams, but make sure you use the "uncooked" entries if you're weighing per-cooking (I figured out I'd been massively underestimating the calories in my portions of rice by entering the uncooked weight in to an entry that was calories for cooked rice...oops!)

You don't have measuring cups in the UK. How do you measure things for baking like flour and sugar???:huh:
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I google everything.. if you type in "how many ___ are in a ___" it pulls up this really nice conversion that you can put whatever you want in and it will convert it.
  • elka67
    Options

As a Brit, I also have no idea what this mystical measurement of "1 cup" is, so I just try to find an entry of the kind of rice I'm using that is in grams, so many entries just say "1 cup", which could/does mean anything you want it to!

There will be entries for rice in grams, but make sure you use the "uncooked" entries if you're weighing per-cooking (I figured out I'd been massively underestimating the calories in my portions of rice by entering the uncooked weight in to an entry that was calories for cooked rice...oops!)

You don't have measuring cups in the UK. How do you measure things for baking like flour and sugar???:huh:

Erm..we use a scale of course
  • kellyf_83
    Options
    Remember that a cup is a measure of volume and a gram is a measure of mass. So it will depend on what is in the cup for how many grams it will be. For example: a cup of lead will be more grams than a cup of flour. You can google what a standard cup of rice would be in grams, but it would depend on the rice.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Actually, it doesn't mean anything you want it to. A cup is a valid unit of measure in the US, not just any old cup to drink out of.

Having said that, I think you should just check the database for entries in grams, and use that instead of the cup measurements. Probably the easiest way, like a couple of other people said. I get equally frustrated when I can only find gram measurements, since I don't have a scale at this point.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    grams is a measure of mass and cup is a volume measure. A cup of cooked rice is approxaimtely 175 grams
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Grams = weight
    Cups = volume
    They never will work together. Water, rice, dry or cooked, milk, cream and everything in between will all weigh differently when the volume of one cup of them is weighed.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It will be more accurate to weigh it dry before cooking.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love rice, but I have come to the conclusion that there are so many variables (type of rice, how long it was cooked, how fluffed up or not the rice is) that the best I can do is a very good estimation. Besides, that's all this really is, estimations.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I don't think everyone owns a scale, very few Americans do. I just bought my first one this year at 46.
    But to have to weigh flour and sugar and not just scoop it out with a measuing cup, I feel sorry for you.
    When I travel I will have to remember to pack a set of measuring cups and spoons.
  • elka67
    Options

I don't think everyone owns a scale, very few Americans do. I just bought my first one this year at 46.
    But to have to weigh flour and sugar and not just scoop it out with a measuing cup, I feel sorry for you.
    When I travel I will have to remember to pack a set of measuring cups and spoons.

Well just as everyone in the US who cooks will have the cups set, so everyone everywhere else (who cooks) will own a scale.

Actually it can be easier than messing around with and washing out fiddly cups but guess it's whatever you are used to. I chuck it into the bowl one by one zeroing the scale in between and then mix, so only 1 item to clean out.

I now own both so I can cook from US foodsites but find lbs/oz easier to multiply/divide if I want to cook say a quarter of the recipe and not a meal for 8 say. Plus I don't get how you measure out a cup of broccoli for example? Weighing is more accurate.