(rant) "Help, I can't eat enough calories!"

Options
I don't understand how so many of us are here to lose weight, and all of a sudden cannot get "enough" calories and have to ask the forums how to eat calories. Seriously? You didn't have that problem before! Every day, I see multiple posts from people saying they just CANT eat enough calories, no matter how hard they try. Where was this problem when we were overweight but not tracking?

if you were overweight, your body was storing energy you were eating but weren't using. obviously, you had no problem getting "enough" calories then! What has changed?

It is just surreal to watch a bunch of people with weight to lose coaxing each other to eat. I'm not saying everyone should eat 800 calories a day and not complain, or that people are lying when they say they can't "fit" their calories in. But, frankly, it doesn't seem realistic that we're all sitting around, overweight and not eating enough and full anyway, every day, and not losing weight. and if you're eating only fruits and veggies and are trying to fit 1,500 calories into a vegan, low-fat diet, then you're just as unrealistic as someone trying to hit their macros comfortably at Carl's Jr. every day. It's hard to eat 1,500 cals of produce. it's also (likely) unsustainable in your real life, so you're missing the chance to practice eating in a realistic way.

I'm not trying to hate on people or discourage anyone from being healthy and happy. It seems like people aren't really trying to find a permanent, sustainable way to eat, and that's why they're having "trouble" eating a normal number of calories. and that's the same problem they had when they were overweight and gaining, just in the other direction.

At this point, if i am not hungry, and I've had "too few" calories (e.g. 1,000 instead of 1,500), then good. trust me, it will be a fluke! and my follow-up advice to people is that if you're full, don't eat (even if you have calories to use).

I fully accept whatever backlash i get for this post. Also, i'm not trying to take a stance on any "science" aspect of this discussion, except to say i'm pretty sure we didn't all get here because of a chronic calorie shortfall.

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Gotta say....I LOVE it! It made me laugh but at the same time, it is so true! I rarely have trouble getting enough calories, and the odd time I am under, no big deal.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!

The ones that get me are the ones that are on 1200 cals a day or less and can't get enough cals in. Really?! If I'm not careful I can eat 1200 in one meal!

But that's just me....
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can rant all you want....But I am having a hell of a time consuming 2100 calories a day and I have 16 lbs. to lose.....If you don't get it...I do.....ITS CALLED QUALITY FOOD....So instead of have a bowl of Fruit Loops (or whatever) for breakfast I now eat 6 egg whites with a piece of swiss cheese, a slice of dry toast, 1 tbls of salsa and a fruit smoothie totalling 429 calories in all. I burn damn near 3000 calories a day according to my fitbit. So...yes...its the quality of food that makes it difficult to adjust. We are here to help one another....not rant and complain that you see to many posts with people trying to help one another.

Amen Brother. :glasses:
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Could probably utilize the forum search option and plug it into there then read what comes up. I'm probably seeing one of these threads at least once a week so it shouldn't be too hard to find something.

Y'know...

Just a thought.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!

I have to say one thing in the complainers' defense, though. Before I did this, I'd just eat whatever the heck I wanted and how much I wanted. When I started here, it was almost like I had to relearn how to eat... sort of. Pre-MFP, if I was counting calories and a bunch left to use up, I'd just have a bowl of ice cream or some chips and call it good. I don't want to do that now though. So when I have a lot of calories to use now, it's a little more difficult because I'm trying to be smart about my choices. It's getting easier the longer I'm working at it, but it is still challenging at times, for now at least.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Look - every struggle is highly individual. I see no point in ranting about somebody else's struggle.

I've always eaten rather small meals. I don't like a lot of food at one time, period. My problem was snacking all afternoon every afternoon, little bits of food about half an hour apart - a pinch of this, a swallow of that, a bit of this other thing, etc. I had to get rid of that snacking habit, and when I did, I found that my meals added up to about 1100 calories. So yes - I've had a problem getting up to an appropriate calorie count. What does that have to do with you? Nothing!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have no problem getting enough calories....I struggle to stay under! I can't imagine not being able to eat enough...I love food :heart:
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You can rant all you want....But I am having a hell of a time consuming 2100 calories a day and I have 16 lbs. to lose.....If you don't get it...I do.....ITS CALLED QUALITY FOOD....So instead of have a bowl of Fruit Loops (or whatever) for breakfast I now eat 6 egg whites with a piece of swiss cheese, a slice of dry toast, 1 tbls of salsa and a fruit smoothie totalling 429 calories in all. I burn damn near 3000 calories a day according to my fitbit. So...yes...its the quality of food that makes it difficult to adjust. We are here to help one another....not rant and complain that you see to many posts with people trying to help one another.

Eat the whole egg. 342 more calories, there ya go.
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe I was not eating enough calories before I started MFP AND that too many of the calories I WAS eating were coming from sugar. It's blowing my mind that I am eating more food and losing weight, three pounds already :) Now I have to figure out how to balance, sodium, fat, sugar, etc... working on it! It is hard! Especially if you eat junky food. Which I do sometimes. Not gonna lie...
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating my calories :drinker:

Me luvz da foods. :heart:
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I understand both sides, but it does getting annoying when people appear to struggle to get over 800+ calories. Be it quality foods or otherwise. But i get it if they're just starting out finding it difficult to eat a more clean approach compared to their prior consumption of high fat/high calorie foods. Also the misconception of having to starve when first starting out lol tends to baffle people as well hence their fear of having to eat more than what was initially expected.

Whether i find it an annoyance or not, at the end of the day I can choose to open the thread and read it ( and help out) or just ignore it and keep it moving
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of peanut butter = 190 calories. it really is just that easy to add calories to your day.

in my opinion, outside of those with an eating disorder, the only other people who truly have trouble eating enough calories are the ones who have orthorexia nervosa, or have been swayed by somebody else with orthorexia nervosa to prohibit lots of calorie dense foods from their diets.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    For quite a lot of people using MFP is a means of learning healthier choices to use up your calories with. Some people take it to the extreme and eat LOADS of veggies and come in way low. Some people have cut out certain junk foods that made them fat from their diet. I used to eat oreos by the columns. No joke. That and soda and chocolate bars by the lbs (no joke.) Thats how *I* got fat. Cut that crap out of my diet and then eating portions correctly and BAM look at where my calories are now. I actually eat *more* food through the day now than I did before, and worry about the eventuality of hitting maintenance calories, but even there I know I will be fine.

Im a HUGE fan of eating. I loved learning that I could eat so much and lose weight. Love knowing a vigorous walk means more food :P Wish I had all this insight years ago..

Hope that clears up your rant peeve some ;-)
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It is just surreal to watch a bunch of people with weight to lose coaxing each other to eat.

Why is it surreal? This board is filled with a lot of people who have recognized that overeating has led them to their current predicament and are naturally quite worried about continuing to do so. No need to rant. Its an understandable worry.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I definately agree with the whole quality of food thing. When I was eating whatever, the calories would add up quick... but now trying to keep my carbs to about 30%of my breakfast and dinner and then trying to veggie and protien it up- doesn't always add up to the calories that I need. I can eat a big veggie salad with 3oz of meat for 250 calories... and if I'm eating like that all the time.. it may be hard to get to 1600 calories.
    Either way, I'm not complaining on the message board about it... I'm to busy raiding the kitchen with excitement as to what else I get to eat today. LOL
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!!

So true! Except for the eating disorder people most folks are just being dramatic....and I suspect they are eating something and not logging cause they aren't at maintenance or losing!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Eat the whole egg. 342 more calories, there ya go.

The yolk is the best part... Why waste such delicious food :sad:
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to eat. I think most people do. I embrace it and eat my goal and my exercise calories. If I deprive myself, this would never work.

I NEVER have a problem eating my calories.

I think people need to be realistic.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I can help you to understand.....maybe :smile:

When I wasn't tracking I was eating Bullisht! I could down a McDonalds breakfast of 700+ calories easily.....Then I could eat some Doritios on the fly and get a large latte at Starbucks- easy. Not tracking. Not trying to be healthy. Didn't care.

Now I'm having egg white scramble, with spinach and a slice of whole wheat bread and carrots on the fly- with more water than ever. Tracking. Caring and Trying to be healthy.

I think it's a very realistic concern for people who have truly changed the way they eat for good and are trying to lose and I understand.
    There are a lot of things that I have "eliminated" or cut down drastically from my diet until I'm in maintain mode, I have 15 more pounds to lose so it's been very difficult for me to make my 1500 when I'm being very cautious of what I'm putting in my body.

I think you should always 'release' and 'rant" when needed, as to not hold it in and be stressed but I don't think you should judge and assume that everything should be easy for all people. I don't think the majority of people are lying just to hear someone tell them to eat more. It's very complex to some people and overall I think thoughfulness and empathy can help people become healthier opposed to ranting.

One other thing that may help is just not to read the posts that say "Help, I can't eat enough calories"
    Just a thought :flowerforyou:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

My helpfuls:

Add butter to the toast, add ham or bacon on the side, cook your eggs in the bacon/ham fat (yum), switch to cheddar, add a slice of avocado or make some pico de gallo w/ avocado/tomatoes/onions/cilantro/lime juice and eat it with your breakfast. More calories still? Add a small glass of OJ or add some to your smoothie.

.... done made myself hungry again.