P90x for the big guy

Options
So I ordered P90x and it arrived today. I plan on starting the program on Monday!

If you don't feel like reading everything scroll down to the questions!!

I had initially not planned on buying a yoga/exercise mat because I am going to be working out on the carpet in my bedroom. Is this a good or bad idea? The more I think about it, the more I feel that I should purchase a mat. If you think I should, what would you recommend for a bigger guy? (6 ft - 235 lbs) I can order one on Amazon now and have it delivered by Tuesday when I will likely be doing the Plyometrics stuff.

I had also not planned on initially following the diet that comes with the program, at least for my first time doing P90x . I have lost nearly 20 pounds on the diet I have been doing since November of last year combined with exercising about 5 days a week at the gym for 45ish min a day. It should be a higher weight loss, but I took a little more than a month off for Christmas while visiting the family and a trip to Vegas early January. So the question is, how do y'all fell about the diet supplied with the program?

I am going to be using P90x initially for weight loss. In the future I plan to do it all over and focus on building muscle mass while following the diet.

Questions Summarized
1. Do I need a yoga type mat, and if so which would you recommend. I will be exercising on carpet. I also sweat a lot and don't want to slip. (Preferably able to be purchased on Amazon as I am a Prime member and get free 2 day shipping)
2. Should I follow the diet if my primary goal is weight loss?

I chose P90x over Power 90 mostly because of the reviews that Power 90 is monotonous, and the fact that I was able to *mostly* pass the fit test (No Pull ups). I also feel that I would get more out of my money with P90x, especially in the long run.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I finished round 1 of P90X last week and will be restarting on Monday.

Yoga mat- You don't NEED one if the area you are working out on is pretty well padded. I do plyo on an area rug over ceramic tile. As long as you have good shoes you should be fine. I wouldn't want to try plyo on a yoga mat. It would be too much of a trip hazard. Beachbody sells a plyo mat, but I doubt you really need it if you have good shoes.

For the actual yoga workouts you may want one to protect your carpet from sweat and prevent slipping. I have a cheapo $15 mat from D!ck's Sporting Goods that works fine.

I did not follow the nutrition guide. The 1,800 calories it allowed me was too low and the foods were way too restricted. I average 2,000 calories of whatever I want. My macros are set to 40/30/30. Just be sure to get plenty of protein on strength training days.

Be sure to take measurements and record body fat. Your weight may actually go up, but you will get leaner.