How many of you don't add in your excercise?

Options
It occurred to me that to get the maximum weight loss you could try to follow the cal goal and not add excercise but my breakfast and lunch alone have already eaten up all my cals. Maybe tomorrow I could try it out. Alot of people already probably do this.....right?

Also, how many cals do you reckon you burn just doing say housework and school runs. It all helps right!

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit to help me with regular daily expenditure. It seems right now without intentional exercise my TDEE is about 1700. When I exercise I eat 1/2 the calories back.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    when i was eating what MFP recommended i ate back my excercise cals about half the time. I've since found out they expect you to do that. I switched to BMR, and not eating excercise cals, and it works heaps better for me.
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    Also, how many cals do you reckon you burn just doing say housework and school runs. It all helps right!

The data base has cleaning in it so you can log it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The real question is how many people understand WHY they don't...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It occurred to me that to get the maximum weight loss you could try to follow the cal goal and not add excercise but my breakfast and lunch alone have already eaten up all my cals. Maybe tomorrow I could try it out. Alot of people already probably do this.....right?

There are a lot of people who do this...I call them underachievers. They aren't achieving their calorie goals when they don't eat back exercise calories. They're also doing it wrong because the directions for using this tool tell you to eat back exercise calories if you are following the MFP method. Too large a caloric deficit will ultimately result in the opposite of what you are trying to do and you will actually store more fat. You will also burn more lean body mass.

Have fun though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people who do this...I call them underachievers. They aren't achieving their calorie goals when they don't eat back exercise calories. They're also doing it wrong because the directions for using this tool tell you to eat back exercise calories if you are following the MFP method. Too large a caloric deficit will ultimately result in the opposite of what you are trying to do and you will actually store more fat. You will also burn more lean body mass.

Have fun though.

Except for the people who factor exercise into their daily calorie goal, in which case they don't need to (nor should they be) eating them back.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Have fun though.

Interesting. Good to know thanks. I can't imagine its fun but I couldn't believe over the weekend my cal goal was 1650 but that was because of my excercise. I stupidly thought it was because I told MFP at the start that I like to eat more at the weekends and that is why!

I get it now. You can do it a little bit.....right??
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

A lot of people don't eat back their exercise calories, which might work out for them if they consistently overestimate their calorie burn and underestimate how much they eat. Otherwise it's not a great idea. You could crash diet and not bother exercising at all and the result would be similar. Muscle is metabolically "expensive" and any you lose unnecessarily because of a too aggressive calorie deficit - however you choose to create it - will lower your metabolic rate. Think of that as a down payment on the extra fat you'll gain once you go back to eating "normally." Long before I'd ever heard of starvation mode we worried about yo-yo dieting: lose fat and muscle on the way down, then go off the diet and regain fat but less muscle on the way up. Rinse and repeat until menopause and then complain that it's impossible to lose weight at your age.

Such activities as housework, shopping, walking my dog, etc., were taken into account when I set my activity level, so I don't log them as exercise. I'm not sure what you mean by "school runs" but if it involves any actual running, then yeah, I would log that.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back exercise calories. The point of not adding your exercise in would be to eat at about your BMR-ish, and lose faster/more efficiently. You don't have to eat back exercise calories, ESPECIALLY if your counting "cleaning" as exercise.

IMHO, I don't lot any exercise that isn't a specific effort to work out. I got fat cleaning house and doing laundry before, so it doesn't really make sense that all of the sudden it magically helps me lose weight. My body was used to it. The extra effort is what burns you calories.

I dont' know what your daily calories are set to but I'm guessing it's at least 1200 and if that's the case and you already ate that by lunch, I think the first step is re working your menu so you aren't having such high calorie meals and you are spreading out your calories through the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Have fun though.

Except for the people who factor exercise into their daily calorie goal, in which case they don't need to (nor should they be) eating them back.

I assumed the OP was using the MFP method. I use the TDEE method as well and include my exercise in my daily activity and don't have to worry about eating them back. I didn't start doing that until I got pretty religious about my exercise...IMHO it's less fuss and easier to plan the day, but I have to be pretty religious about my exercise and remember to dial it back if I get injured or something else interferes with my routine like it did this week.