FAVORITE place in America!

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
I'm thinking a road trip might be in order in the next couple of months!

I need suggestions of your Favorite place to go in America, and Your Favorite things to do once you are there.

I have already been to these places at least once, and would like to try something new:
Orlando, FL
St. Louis, MO
Chicago, IL
NYC
Boston, MA
L.A
San Diego
Houston, TX
Estes Park Colorado,
Nashville, TN
Louisville, KY
St. Paul, MN....

I do like the outdoors, I love nature walks, canoeing, etc. I don't even mind camping on a fixed campground site what has a shower house... But I'm not exactly a 'let's completely rough it out in the wilderness with only a pack a matches, a compass, and a contraption to filter our own urine into drinking water" type of girl either...

I'm also not really into 'modern art',or poetry readings type attractions to visit.

And being toooo close to any animal bigger than a large dog also freaks me out a little.

Keeping those things in mind... I'm open to any of your suggestions!

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I want to answer you something in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Jamaica... because my biggest pet peeve is calling the United States " America".
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Come out to Colorado!!! Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is beautiful, and Hanging Lake is amazing!!! There is so much to see and do here, you will never be bored.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Hatteras Island, NC
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm particularly fond of your West Coast. Love San Francisco, anywhere in Coastal Oregon or Washington is pretty awesome too. You are always welcome to come check out the southern BC coast too. It's beautiful here :)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I want to answer you something in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Jamaica... because my biggest pet peeve is calling the United States " America".

I <3 You.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I didn't see Washington DC or Las Vegas on your list. Arizona has some nice stuff. Madison, WI is a great city. I'm sure theres more but thats all I have now.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Bar Harbor, Maine. Acadia National Park. Thank me later.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Albuquerque, New Mexico!! There is plenty to see all year round but October is especially amazing because of the Balloon Fiesta. It is definately a must see!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Wyoming so I'll be biased and say Northwest Wyoming. Wait until late May-Sept or go now (for the skiing).

You have Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, the Tetons, etc.

It's all awesome. And if you're getting too close to an animal bigger than a dog at any of them - you're doing it wrong.

Depending on which direction you are going to them from - there's also cool side-trips from any direction.
  • jr1985
    Options
    Come out to Colorado!!! Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is beautiful, and Hanging Lake is amazing!!! There is so much to see and do here, you will never be bored.

My old roomate visited that a few years ago and LOVED it. Definitely something to look into! Unfortunately though I think I will either need to have a better car before I go, or fly or rent a car... my old beater can probably not handle the altitude :( But it's going on my bucket list!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

THE ANSWER IS AUBURN, CRAZY WOMAN!!! lol
  • jr1985
    Options
    I'm particularly fond of your West Coast. Love San Francisco, anywhere in Coastal Oregon or Washington is pretty awesome too. You are always welcome to come check out the southern BC coast too. It's beautiful here :)

Also on my bucket list... just had a friend move back from Northern Cali... Her pics were amazing of the scenery! Would love somewhere to stay driving distance for a long day trip in between both the mountains and the ocean... any suggestions on a good area/time of year?
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    estes park colorado
  • jr1985
    Options
    I didn't see Washington DC or Las Vegas on your list. Arizona has some nice stuff. Madison, WI is a great city. I'm sure theres more but thats all I have now.

Long weekend trip to Vegas definitely on the agenda sometime this year! Washington D.C... Don't me wrong I watched the election and some of the pre-election political debates, but I'm not a hugely politically inclined type of person... still enough to keep me interested or is it more for the politically/historically minded?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yellowstone National Park, a lot of good hiking/walking and tons of things to see!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • jr1985
    Options
    Bar Harbor, Maine. Acadia National Park. Thank me later.

Duely Noted :) Thanks for the suggestion
  • jr1985
    Options
    Albuquerque, New Mexico!! There is plenty to see all year round but October is especially amazing because of the Balloon Fiesta. It is definately a must see!

Oh Thanks for the tip, that sounds awesome! One of my friends was talking about a vegas trip sometime this year anyways... that might be a good time to go so we can hit both, the Balloon Festival sounds like a lot of fun!.
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would say Nashville, TN but since you already been there how about Charleston, SC
  • jr1985
    Options
    I grew up in Wyoming so I'll be biased and say Northwest Wyoming. Wait until late May-Sept or go now (for the skiing).

You have Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, the Tetons, etc.

It's all awesome. And if you're getting too close to an animal bigger than a dog at any of them - you're doing it wrong.

Depending on which direction you are going to them from - there's also cool side-trips from any direction.

I've heard awesome things about Yellowstone! But is it also pretty friendly for people like more day trips out in the wilderness instead of being completely submersed in it?