Calorie Burning

TracieJ65
TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I am going to put a question out there to see what the general opinion is on this! I have spent the day washing several dogs, vacuming a house two different times, cleaning a yard, and a couple of other general things household/yard things. I have just spent the last hour going to every websight out there to see if any of those activities can be considered as burning calories. (I know I was huffing and puffing when I was done with each one!) Anyway, here are my questions and thoughts! If I am actually feeling like I put some cardiovascular into it, and I am huffing, like I would after say a run/fast walk, and the "calories burned" calculators are showing that this caused me to burn calories, should I log it? I feel like I should because bent over a tub scrubbing, rinsing, and drying seven different dogs for over an hour had me feeling pretty exhausted. But, I don't want to "give" myself extra calories to consume if it really isn't a "workout!" (I am having an internal battle with myself because I am really trying hard to make changes within myself) So, I figured I would throw the question out and see what the general feeling is. Every site I have looked at, that has a calories burned calculator, shows a pretty significant amount of calories burned for each of the activities I have done today. Anyway, curious to see what every one else thinks! At this time I have not logged any of it as exercise. I am still battling with myself over it.

Replies

• jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    I clean house twice a week and count that as my workout. I am vacuuming, mopping, etc for 6+ hours a day. I entered it in the website and it gave me 800 calories, but I know that probably isn't right, so I just give myself 500 even.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    I don't put those things in, because I don't want to over estimate my caloric burn. Unless you're really hungry after you've eaten all your calories, then I would leave them out. It'll just get you that much closer to your goal!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Hello,
    When I enter my calories I tend to go on the lesser side so I don't give myself more then I should. If by chance I burn more then get thats OK, because for me I won't consume more then I should. When in doubt take the calories out. That way you don't give yourself to much and you continue going in the right direction. But then that is only my opinion and it works for me. I lost 12 lbs so far and I'll keep adding my calories the same way. Good luck and stay strong. Them doggies are a work out alone.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    there is an option to enter cleaning as an activity and time spent ding it. It'd give you an estimate.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Thanks stylistchick! I had actually never seen that option before. The replies, so far, are the exact internal battles that I am having. I do heavy cleaning, every single Sunday, for a good 5 hours or more, and I have never entered that. I cook every single day and sometimes it is all three meals and I have never entered that, but I see that both of those are options. I don't think that I could ever enter the cooking, though, it just doesn't feel like it is "true" exercise. But, sometimes after I am done cleaning on Sunday I am pretty wore out. Today, I am pretty wore out and feel like I may have put in more than some of my walks! But, like prettylyzard I don't want to feel like I am giving myself a "gimie!" I have never needed more calories to consume, food wise, and I am good to go today, I just want to log actual exercise I have done, too!
  • ashley_alm
    ashley_alm Posts: 32 Member
    i use this website...

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

it has come in handy for me. it has a lot of daily things...
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    cleaning is on here.. It's in the exercise section.. They have heavy and light cleaning. I put it down!! Cleaning kicks my butt!
This discussion has been closed.