Yawning while weight lifting. . . weird, I know.

Options
2»

Replies

• Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry i know this may come off a bit cold, but, there really is zero evidence as to yawning to get more O2 into our systems. Research is still scratching there heads as to why. here is an interesting read though. By the way, I too yawn ALOT during my lift days

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/11/111115-yawning-mystery-brains-sinuses-health-science/
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I yawn when I do cardio too...

Looks like this is a theory why..."Another notion states that yawning is the body's way of controlling brain temperature.[15][16] In 2007, researchers including a professor of psychology from the University of Albany proposed that yawning may be a means to keep the brain cool."
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I sneeze when I take the first sip of water during cardio. LOL...for real! :tongue:
  • EdwardBarrera
    Options
    You may be initiating a pandiculation and the result can be a yawning and felt sense of relaxation.

A pandiculation is what all healthy animals do. They never stretch. They are in fact, contracting certain muscles along a series or chain of muscles. Go ahead and yawn like a big cat or Fido and feel what jaw muscles you're using.

Could you feel your ears pulling back? Could you feel your shoulders blades retracting? Could you feel your ribs moving? Could you feel any sensation in your hips or femur (abducting)? No worries if you didn't - just a little sensory-motor amnesia.

That's act 1 of a pandiculation. Obviously letting go is part 2. When you're coming to an end of revving up the motor units through the chain or series of muscles, as you de rev them, the brain's cortex sends a signal to create chemicals of relaxation. The entire act of a pandiculation has 3 distinct parts. So if you're slowly lowering down your weights, you're in effect pandiculating and providing not only a return in muscle function, you get a nice shot of relaxation chemicals.

Remember how Apolo Ohno opened his jaw before he raced and won his medals. http://gravitywerks.com/1476/apolo-ohno-pandiculates-to-8-medals/

The pandicular process is at the heart of of the system of somatics exercises where we use the brain's cortex to reset the tension levels in the skeletal muscles. So happens I've been teaching this stuff for 12 years and people are yawning their way back to health.