Goofy Americans,Silly Canadians, Great British

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'm a Brit who has lived in America for 20 years. I speak English AND American!

But time to go to the pub now. Errr... bar.

TRAITOR how could you leave such a tiny island that is so full of pubs and visit a `bar`

Dang some people make me mad :angry:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    True. I would usually be at the pub at this time on a Friday if it wasn't for a nasty cold (she said in her indignant Manc accent!!!)

Am originally from Manc so will send some tissues and a hug for you!!!

Aw - thank you :)
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Well I'm from Lancashire and I live in Devon. The range of dialects in both counties has me struggling from time to time so how a foreigner (or ex colonials- stir stir! ;-D) understand the Great British accent I don't know!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Yorkshire lass here! (I live in Taiwan at the mo)

Even a short drive of 20mins and you will definitely hear the difference in accent around the Yorkshire area.

I definitely agree with one third of the thread title, I wouldn't have been as polite though :laugh:

• Back to the Brits, we're simply fabulous!!

Just the best :wink:

hurrah hurrah and thrice hurrah :laugh:
  • Come on you guys from UK ...get on board we got to stick up for ourselves :laugh:

It's Friday night, they're at the pub

it's too scary to go in a pub on a friday night if you're over 25 :bigsmile:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Come on you guys from UK ...get on board we got to stick up for ourselves :laugh:

It's Friday night, they're at the pub

it's too scary to go in a pub on a friday night if you're over 25 :bigsmile:

:laugh: true!
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Arrrrrrrrrrgghhhhh! There's no such thing as a 'British' accent - Britain is a collection of separate countries with very different accents (and some with different languages - be careful not to upset the Welsh!).

Not to mention that each country of the British Isles has several (if not hundreds) of varying accents and dialects. For example if you take some one from Manchester and someone from Newcastle and asked a non-Brit to tell you where the two people were from they would be unlikely to even get the right nation let alone county lol

Oh dear no... don't ever accuse me of sounding like a Manc or Scouser - or even a Maccum (even though they're only 10 miles down the road! *shudders* It's safe to say if there's a 'British accent' then those of us up here are clearly not British.
    I was asked by a Canadian once if I spoke English, accused by several of being Scottish (to be fair, I'm far enough north if the border was straight across I would be) and had others assume I'm from some random country elsewhere in the world. And that's without a strong Geordie accent.

But erm yes, Great British. Totally. :) A *thumbs up* for the Aussies and Kiwis too.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Fellow Englishman posting in! Although I hail from the land of Scrumpy and Old Rosie in sunny Somerset, and can in fact do a rather good version of 'Where be that blackbird to?' apparently I have a neutral and almost received pronunciation accent. Rather happily for me, all of the fine American and Canadians I have met have gone gooey over it.

Kiwis and Aussies however just ended up ripping the piss, which was equally as awesome!
  • And everyone always forgets Australia...

sad_keanu_reeves_meme_35.jpg

I love Australians.
  • SRH7
    Not to say I don't love Americans, though. My dear Grandma was born in Boston and it was only after joining MFP that I realised that many of them do actually get sarcasm (so they realise when I'm trying to be funny and not mean!).
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Scottish here. Still a part of Britain if we can find a cage big enough to fit Alex Salmond's ego in.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    I'm Welsh! :happy:
    I live in Holland at the moment though
  • IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    Rule Britannia!!!

God Save the Queen!!

Dieu et Mon Droit!!
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    ^ I hate threads with a sarcastic title
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member

The title was following ones already posted...

1st being `goofy Americans`

2nd post was `Silly Canadians`

So I thought I would get right in there with the `Great British `

Hope all you guys are having a night in tonight after hitting the pub last night :drinker:
  • SRH7

The title was following ones already posted...

1st being `goofy Americans`

2nd post was `Silly Canadians`

So I thought I would get right in there with the `Great British `

Hope all you guys are having a night in tonight after hitting the pub last night :drinker:

True Brits will not have left yet... God Bless 24-hour licensing laws!!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    An oxymoron (plural oxymora or oxymorons) (from Greek ὀξύμωρον, "sharp dull") is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms.

Oxymoron = Great Britain :bigsmile:
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    I'm from the Home Counties. I have the accent that bally foreigners imagine when they think "British Accent."
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Alright moi lovlies?