Any Nurses Out There?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I work in maternity/women's health, I am in Canada!
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    I am looking for some buddies to share accountability and motivation! I am Tiffany, 31y, and a night shift ICU nurse. My biggest challenge is eating right at work, and making time for regular exercise. Its so hard at work to be able to eat healthy. There are always temptations, and when you are on your feet rushing around all night, its so easy to just grab what is around because you dont have time to sit down to eat a proper meal! Im trying to be better, I started logging all of my intake and exercise... but I long for the days I used to work 9-5 and would just go to the gym on my way home every day!

The gym opens at 5 AM..... You can STILL go after work. I worked nights in ICU for many years. Pack all your food. Every snack and meal. Come up with a plan and pack it all and then do your best to time your meals at night like you would during the day. That worked for me....
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm a Canadian Public Health Nurse, I rarely get time to pee let alone eat in between clients, trying to get more healthy real food that are grab and go friendly :)
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    just finished my pre requisites and applying for the nursing program in the fall. add me if you want : )
  • thenfacetoface
    thenfacetoface Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a new grad ICU RN, soon to start working on nights :)
  • chellern3
    chellern3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been a RN for 13 years and about 10 of them on nights. Eating right has always been a challenge. Along with getting enough sleep and exercising. Single mother of three hard to fit everything in. I too pack my lunch and snacks. Protein bars, protein drinks and pre bagged portion sizes of my favorite low cal crackers, chips and snacks. Helps to have good stuff avail when you are busy. I try to walk almost every day and if I get a down min at work I take a few trips up and down the stairs. Lol. 20 pounds down so far, I think I am on the right track. Good luck!
  • suecan2
    suecan2 Posts: 45
    Options
    night shifter here also - 10 years next month!! PCCU & cardiac. love my night shifter peeps I work with, but dang, when I wake at 300pm, I can end up eating 800 cal in that 2 hour span before heading back in! if I could just get motivated to workout in that hour.... then, on those crazy busy nights (we know are more often than not)... I eat whatever---empty, fattening calories. and then thinking of a workout after those nights. ugh!! its beginning to turn around, but still have many tough days.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Night shifter and Emergency Nurse here. Spent today ignoring all the chox in the Minors unit. Feel free to add me (any of you)
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    another nurse - have worked all shifts over the years. I am also a certified diabetes educator and not working in nurse case management for an insurance company.

I loved the suggestions of another - about packing foods/snacks:smile:

One of our Canadian friends mentioned rarely even being able to pee, let alone eat b/t clients. Be careful of that bladder

Welcome lunglady doc:heart:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Emergency and crit care nurse here now working as nurse educator. Happy International Nurses Day for next Sunday everybody
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Emergency RN from Canada, here.

I'm really concerned about maintaining my healthy eating habits and fitness routine when I return from my maternity leave in June.

I think I will feel like super woman if I can maintain/lose while working shift work :smile:. Especially if I can do so while eating healthy meals, giving needed love and attention to my family, and maintaining a clean home!
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm a labor and delivery nurse. I work days this job, so I think that helps a little bit with eating on a more normal schedule. I feel that my job is pretty active, moving epiduralized patients, moving beds, a lot of time on my feet. However, I wear a fitbit and it is eye opening that I'm not hitting the 5 mile goal regularly on my shifts. I have been taking the stairs up and down, offering to be the runner to go get blood, etc. I also pack breakfast, lunch and snacks and prelog them into MFP if possible. Then it is easier to turn down the sweets and snacks that linger in the break room. This week is nurses week so I'm sure there will be some extra temptations!