How did you know you reached you goal? (and my story)

Options
I've been a long time voyeur on this site and have been really inspired by all the transformations (both big and small) so thank you all. I figured I would jump in the pool head first with my 1st real post.

My weight loss journey started roughly 4 years ago. I'm still not exactly why I cared all of a sudden, but for some reason I did. So here I am 4 years later wondering if I've lost all I can or should I try for a little more.

I've always been heavy but really gained weight when my wife was pregnant with our first. I ate along with her and after our daughter was born, I kept eating. Same thing with the second. My wife managed to lose most of her weight and I kept it all on. At my heaviest I was well over 280.

So as I said, one day just before my 43rd birthday, I cared that I was overweight. I had high blood pressure and cholesterol problem. I also have a kidney disease (PKD) that I wasn't doing a very good job of managing.

So I stopped going our for lunch every day, joined a gym and started brown bagging. I lost around 50 lbs in 9 months and for the most part kept it off for a year. After that my weight fluctuated between 225 and 235 for a couple of years. This year, I figured it was time to lose whatever was left.

I'm down to 215 and still dropping. My question for all of you "Losers" is how did you know that you reached your goal?

When I was 280+ I figured 30lbs would do it. When I got there, I knew I wasn't close. So another 20 lbs, then another 10.

Thanks for reading my rambling and here are a couple of before and current pics.

bOLhVld.jpg
qnJuVrd.jpg

BTW. My wife has been working out for the past couple of years and looks fantastic. Much better than the before pic.

Replies

• davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    great job man... I am no where near where I want to be but I think the real answer to your question is when you are happy with where you are at
  • bminusrob
    Options
    First, well done so far. The difference is very clear in your pictures. I can't see how tall you are, but you look pretty good, so I assume you are quite tall.

I an 6'2". I started at 218 pounds, and looked to get down to 180, but kept on going because it felt right. I have been 163 pounds plus or minus two pounds for more than six months, so I think that is my ideal weight.

You need to go for your own goals, and see where your weight ends up.

Stick with it. \you are doing really well.
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I looked up weight for my height and age. and figure I will lose to that amount, I won't be obese. If and when, no, when I get there I will decide to lose more if I think I need to.
    Hope this help..
    Viki
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My end was quite sudden and unexpected. My original goal was 135, but when I got there I knew I needed to lose more, so I reset it to 125. When I got to 130, I went out shopping for a size smaller pants. When I couldn't find much of anything except teeny-bopper styles I decided that was it. I had lost enough. Now I have fitness goals.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Oh, and congrats on your loss! That's fantastic!:drinker:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My adult weight has varied from 158lb (felt too skinny, too weak) to 210lb when I felt like a tub of lard.
    For last 20 years I've fluctuated around 196lb. Been very fit at that weight at times but always carring too much fat.

I aimed for 175lb as it was the weight I thought suited me best in my 20's. Now I'm there I'm wondering if I should lose a little more as I can't carry the muscle bulk I used to (too many injuries over the years).

Really I'm happy at this weight for now and will maintain for a while and reassess based more on body fat percentage and fitness targets.

Congrats on your achievement.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Great job there. You are doing awesome.

My story. Started losing at 250. Would have been happy at 210. Got to 210 and figured why not go another ten. Hit 200 and did the same thing. Everytime I lost 10, I figured, go for another 10.

I went down to 162 and figured it was time to stop. I have been maintaining between 162 and 165 since October.

I guess my words of wisdom here are: You will know when you are happy.

Good Luck
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss you look amazing - bet your wife is very proud. Thanks for asking that question too - I am always wondering what my "goal" weight should be - suppose I will stop when I feel happy with the way I look.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, trying to figure out what weight I should get down to.

My first goal was to get down to 173, and when I did I knew I still needed to lose more so I reset my goal weight to 163.
    Again, when I reached that weight I knew I wanted to lose a bit more.

For now my goal is 160, and I'm 1.2 pounds away from that.
    Over the past two months I've intentionally slowed the weight loss, aiming to lose just 0.4 pounds a week. It's concerning in a way that I can see myself wanting to lose more, going lower than 160 pounds. I'm thinking maybe I should stop there and try maintaining at that weight for 3-6 months and see how it feels.

But then I think 155 pounds would be a good weight.
    I'm not much help, am I?
    At next week's weigh-in I'm going to have to make a decision..oh well, I've got 5 days to figure my next step out.
  • ssgolds
    Options
    Thanks all, I think my issue isn't so much what weight to get to but learning to be happy with the way I look. Unfortunately I think I was heavy for so long that even at a good weight, I'll never look the way that I hoped that I would. Just getting too old :-)

I am 6'4" by the way
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!