Burning Calves

I have been running for about 2.5 months and have lost 20 pounds so far. Lately, my calves have been burning towards the end of my workouts and lasts for a few days afterwards. It is really hindering my workout routines. I have been told it's lactic acid build up. How do I prevent this from happening? Sometimes, my calves hurt so much I can't work out for days afterwards. I soak in a hot bath with epsom salts, I have gotten massages, I use a heating pad at night when I lay down....I'm not really sure what else to do?

Replies

• jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Have you tried icing it instead of using heat? Do you usually warm up by walking or by stretching?
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Stretching, ice and drinking water are good things. so is getting a foam roller. myofascial muscle release with the foam roller could also help a lot.
  • Yes, I do walk for about 10 min before I run.
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Could be a couple of things. Are your trainers done up too tight? if so blood will pool at the bottom of your calves, causing a burning sensation, and it will get worse as you run.

I cannot stress how important stretching is. Make sure you are properly stretching your muscles after running. Muscle flexibility is as important as strength, and without it you will eventually do yourself some damage in the form of pulled muscles.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Go to a running store and get fitted for the proper size shoe. You only have a pair of feet...spend the money to keep them healthy.
    Also, they will video tape your running on a tread mill and check your form. It's worth the trip.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Mine were the same until I started stretching afterwards. I used to just rub them out after a run, and that helped but it didn't keep them from getting sore. Stretch out your quadriceps, your calves and the lower muscle on your calf, that is close to your heel. If you need a link to the usmc stretches, let me know and I'll get it for you. I no longer have ANY pain at all after stretching and sometimes I run for over an hour.
    Good luck!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Are your shoes getting worn out? It's AMAZING the difference a new pair of fitted shoes makes. I didn't believe it as my shoes were only three months old but I was having knee issues. Got a new pair of shoes and the knees were pain free. Guess I wore them out faster than I thought.

Also I second the foam roller. Basically you are giving yourself an effective massage using your own body weight. For me, nothing's ever hurt that good before. You can actually feel it roll over the knots in your muscles. And as a runner it's really good to roll over your IT band. You can find videos on youtube for instruction.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Could be a couple of things. Are your trainers done up too tight? if so blood will pool at the bottom of your calves, causing a burning sensation, and it will get worse as you run.

I didn't know this - really helpful!

I find burning in my calves after running can be intermittent but there is some good advice here.

I also ice my legs if they are sore after a run to reduce an inflammation, drink plenty of water, wear the right shoes (I also have custom orthotics in mine as I have foot and knee problems).

Other things that have helped are stretching mid-way through my run - as soon as my calves feel tight I take a five minute break to stretch.

And I've also bought some compression socks. I initially just bought them as it was cold and I wanted some knee-high running socks to keep me warm under my running tights, but the compression side of it really seems to help with calf pain too.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Thirding the foam roller. Get one and learn to use it.

Compression socks are a good idea, as well. I wore them for a while running and biking, and they helped a lot with calfpain.
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member

I didn't know this - really helpful!

The only reason I found it out was because when I first started running I would tighten my my shoes up too tight. After a mile or so calves would be burning and i would have to stop, take my shoes off and let the circulation get back to normal. You couldn't just run through it. Once I learned not to over tighten my shoes I was fine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    compression sleeves and foam rolling
  • May be worth looking at the sodium in your diet too. I know that sound weird but i had exactly the same problem to the point of stopping my running as it was so bad. i tried everything listed above and it didnt help. Then i spoke to a friend of mine who is a running coach and he told me to try upping the salt in my diet for 2 weeks and see if it helped .... it did and now i am back on track again!