why do you use a scale to weigh food?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I use a scale, measuring cups and spoons depending on the food.

Yes, I agree.
    Weighing food by scales doesnt seem at all difficult to me. I serve up my dinner with plate on the scales and then put meat on, reset scales, put potato on, reset, put carrot on, reset etc - very easy to get weight of everything that way.

But I also use cups for liquids and spoons for things like sauces or gravy.

and I dont weigh everything - if I eat a piece of toast I just log it in as one slice or a banana I just log it in as small banana 58 cal's - all my bananas obviously arent exactly same size but I think it evens out.

If Im out somewhere I find it difficult to estimate sizes - cant take my scales to a restaruant LOL - but accuracy would suffer.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    Do an experiment for me. Tare a spoon, then measure what you think to be an accurate portion of peanut butter, then weigh it and report back. You will understand after this experiment.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a bowl full of cereal believing that was a "serving" then I got some scales and weighed the proper 30g serving and found it was 1/3 of what I was eating, I was shocked.

This made take a very close look at what I considered a "portion" and I was wildly innacurate in estimating how much I was eating and that is how I got fat.
    Cereal is the worst for this! A single serving of cereal is such a tiny amount!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I get why people use one - I use estimates and occasionally a measuring cup - I know that the estimates can be off but use this whole process for general health -- that has gone pretty well for me, but more power to anyone who does it.
  • runningwiththepups
    Options
    I use mine because it's more accurate, and it's easier than dirting a million measuring cups to figure out my portion sizes. I got a digital one that I can tare out after each item is added. It saves me a ton of time!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do an experiment for me. Tare a spoon, then measure what you think to be an accurate portion of peanut butter, then weigh it and report back. You will understand after this experiment.

She's right. I was the worst at peanut butter (before). In my opinion, if it fit on the spoon, it was a tablespoon. In reality, i was probably eating 4 tablespoons, twice the serving size...the difference of eating 190 calories or 380 calories is a lot when you're restricting. I use my scale for everything now, but I'm getting better and better at understanding portions and one day I'll be able to do it on my own. For now, I have to re-learn what a portion is. :)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    so it's correct
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Because our minds are tricky.

And knowing the weight of even healthy things can be a big difference.

The Peanut butter is a PRIME example
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    because I don't "see" a normal portion size. I need something to help me know what's really a portion.

^^ This. I was shocked when I first began logging and using my scale how much difference there was in what I thought the portion size was and how much it really was. I'm much better now that I've spent a lot of time using my scale. I am in "maintenance" mode and I no longer log/weigh food on weekends, but I still do every weekday. Maybe some day I'll reduce to maybe 3 days a week, or eventually not at all if I don't gain weight after stopping. However, I can't imagine that I won't need some constant reminder, though.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    How else will you measure how much you're eating? Especially when you eat fresh, wholesome things that don't come out of packages with serving sizes conveniently marked on them?
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I use a scale. When i began i weighed everything.

Now i've learned to predict most things as i know the portion sizes (roughly) but try to over estimate a little just to make sure.

Its the one tool thats truly helped me fight this battle, and i can see myself using it in the long term as whats a few seconds to weigh something.

Id rather use my scale than jump on some 'Shake' thats not really going to help me deal with real foods in the long run.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The scale is one of the best items in my tool kit. I measure most things. For example, a serving of an orange is aroug 180g. Most of the oranges I get weigh in at 200-300g. If I called it a small orange, I'd be severely underestimating it.

I am also terrible about portioning our meat. What I think is 3 ounces is ways 4.x.

As for a longer term plan, I tend to like the plate method: 50% of your plate with veggies, 25% with protein and 25% with grains..... this seems to be a good way to stay balanced.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    To keep calories accurate. It isn't that tough once you get used to it.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    because I don't "see" a normal portion size. I need something to help me know what's really a portion.

this.

And the loss of 52 pounds later, it's been working.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

+1
    Insightful
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I generally only use a scale when I am cutting weight, usually for summer. I, like many others can eyeball things rather well but to know that I am right on with my macros I always use a scale. When I first started getting into fitness and started my weight loss journey I used the scale to be accurate so I would not over eat. Food scales are a must and they are a great and inexpensive tool for your kitchen and overall health.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Example, today I made a chicken salad. I buy the Tyson chicken in the frozen section, In the past I guessed the 3oz, today I weighed it (just bought my scale a couple days ago) I was putting 9oz on my plate. Two pieces is 3oz. Difference of two hundred calories. That's big. So for me, I weigh everything now. I know exactly what I have consumed and what I have burned through my hrm. This is just me.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Doing so initially helps you learn what constitutes a serving size. Eventually you become able to eyeball it within grams. For example, you may think it's a half cup of Ben & Jerry's (which is one serving, about 230 calories): turns out it's almost double (meaning 345 or more). Makes a HUGE difference when logging calories, especially if you stop to do the actual math.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Example, today I made a chicken salad. I buy the Tyson chicken in the frozen section, In the past I guessed the 3oz, today I weighed it (just bought my scale a couple days ago) I was putting 9oz on my plate. Two pieces is 3oz. Difference of two hundred calories. That's big. So for me, I weigh everything now. I know exactly what I have consumed and what I have burned through my hrm. This is just me.

And look at that ticker! You go girl!
  • fusion777
    Options

^^^^^^ This.

My measured portion is always so different than the food labels is. Guess who's is bigger?!