Healthy high calorie foods besides nuts & nut butters...

I need suggestions for healthy high calorie foods that are low in carbs/sugar unhealthy fat & sodium. Im trying to eliminate any & all processed foods including whole grain rice oatmeal etc...as I have PCOS with insulin resistance however I need to increase my caloric intake as I'm not taking in enough food to fuel my body & I want to sustain my way of eating as a lifestyle. I know raw nuts & nut butter. But im trying to stay away from unhealthy "diet" foods to say the least. Please help! Thanks!!!

I know nuts & nut butters are healthy. Im basically looking for alternatives & variety.

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Unless you're allergic to nuts, they're not unhealthy.

Chocolate is a great alternative - particularly dark chocolate. Eat fattier cuts of meat, fry your eggs in butter, etc. and add bacon to things. Bacon is good.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Avocado
  • Why do you see nuts & nut butters as unhealthy?
  • I meant besides nuts & nut butters because I know about them. I know they are healthy lol. Im just going to store & would like more of a variety of healthy high calorie foods.
  • egg yolks, meat
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I second avocados and 90% chocolate. Nuts are not unhealthy unless they are coated with unnecessary flavorings and oils.
  • Unless you're allergic to nuts, they're not unhealthy.

Chocolate is a great alternative - particularly dark chocolate. Eat fattier cuts of meat, fry your eggs in butter, etc. and add bacon to things. Bacon is good.

This scares me thinking of the cholesterol sodium & nitrates...but thanks for your suggestions. I like your idea on another thread with the pumpkin & cinnamon mash. That's on my list!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    oats, quinoa, whole eggs, meat, avocado, chia seeds (not particularly high calorie but a good easy way to add 60 calories of super healthy foods to your diet!) and generally not getting stuck in the whole "low fat" rut, many fats are good for you and eating the right amount can help you lose weight too :)

and chocolate. i :heart: chocolate
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    avocado fatty fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, mackeral, whole eggs, ground beef 70/20, whole milk swiss cheese (low in sodium); coconut, dark chocolate (the higher the chocolate percentage - the greater the fat like 90%, cream cheese, coconut and olive oil, sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds are all healthy high calorie foods. Fatty pork products can be lower in sodium as well. Read the labels on the ground meat to check sodium levels. Low sodium sausages and bacon.
  • Chocolate seriously. I need to check on this! Any particular brand I see 90% dark chocolate...I will check whole foods. Avocado are on my list now.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    I lost 125 lbs., 32% body fat, and dramatically improved every health marker, in one year, regularly eating roughly 2,100 calories per day of the following foods, many of which are calorie dense:

Breakfast:

Bacon
    Eggs
    Any Cheese
    Grass Fed Butter
    Red Bell Peppers
    Roma Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Whole Milk
    Whey Protein

Dinner & Dessert:

8 to 12 ounces of any meat or fish
    Grass Fed Butter
    Red Bell Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Roma Tomatoes
    Apples
    Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Sugar-Free Pudding
    Sugar-Free Jello
    Cod Liver Oil

My caloric intake, of course, is specific to me.
  • avocado fatty fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, mackeral, whole eggs, ground beef 70/20, whole milk swiss cheese (low in sodium); coconut, dark chocolate (the higher the chocolate percentage - the greater the fat like 90%, cream cheese, coconut and olive oil, sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds are all healthy high calorie foods. Fatty pork products can be lower in sodium as well. Read the labels on the ground meat to check sodium levels. Low sodium sausages and bacon.

Now that's a list! Thanks soooo much.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    What's quinoa?
  • Thanks Spartan_maker! That's awesome. Congrats on the loss.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    As I've cranked up my average daily target to 1000 cals more than I was aiming for this time last year, I've started eat oats and couscous again. I put honey in my oats but you could put fruit slices in if you want something sweet but healthier.

PS Well done, Spartan!
  • I lost 125 lbs., 32% body fat, and dramatically improved every health marker, in one year, regularly eating roughly 2,100 calories per day of the following foods, many of which are calorie dense:

My caloric intake, of course, is specific to me.

What was specific about your diet and why 2100 calories/day? curious about this.
  • lisadlocks
    Happy shopping!
  • lisadlocks
    Chocolate seriously. I need to check on this! Any particular brand I see 90% dark chocolate...I will check whole foods. Avocado are on my list now.

Trader Joes, Lindt, Godiva all have at least 72% chocolate bars. I was looking for chocolate with less sugar and it was dark chocolate. I was stunned by the increase in fat. Great item for your list. I would go to the chocolate section in any grocery story, World Market, Whole Foods, specialty food stores etc. I have read many labels!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    What's quinoa?

Considered a "super food" because it has basically complete amino acids and protein, though it is a seed (often said to be a grain as it cooks up like one) with low calories/no fat compared to animal proteins. Try it sweet or savory (like in rice dishes or as in oatmeal/porridge). Rinse it with water before you cook it, I'll bet you enjoy it and it is a good, healthy protein and carb substitute.
  • quinoa is on the list too! Thanks for answering her question.