Hashimoto's Thyroiditis & weight loss

Options
124»

Replies

• flipleis
    flipleis Posts: 11
    Options
    I have hashimoto's (I keep wanting to add wasabi to this diagnosis!) and am not yet at the right balance with meds (pure T3 from a compounding pharmacy). I am struggling with losing weight (which came on steadily, then quickly) and now I am 50 pounds overweight and depressed (depression linked to disease as well no doubt). I have gone GF, did a recent metagenics 10-day detox to perhaps jumpstart my system, but still feel like crap. (I feel claustrophobic in my body; have difficulty falling/staying asleep, weight loss was minimal.) It is all just disheartening and I don't know what I should do. I exercise - not back to regime of 3x weekly yoga as I have a torn meniscus - but am doing my PT and bike at home and other home exercise. Part of the AI element of the disease is the swelling in feet/ankles (edema or more likely lymphedema) and most likely retaining fluid in other parts of my body. Should I do a food sensitivity test, and if so, what kind is the best? What will something like that tell me in re: to the thyroid? Is it worth doing before meds are regulated and my antibodies are back in a normal range? What else can I do to start feeling better? I just don't know what to do for myself at this point, and am at my wit's end feeling so uncomfortable and lost.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. No detox required.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and the only time i see an issue is when i dont take my pill...... I have a really hard time with it because I wake up, eat my before gym snack then go to the gym, then have a small breakfast (toast really) your supposed to take the meds on an empty stomach... it sucks but it is what it is. Like another poster said it's only going to stop you if you let it :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and the only time i see an issue is when i dont take my pill...... I have a really hard time with it because I wake up, eat my before gym snack then go to the gym, then have a small breakfast (toast really) your supposed to take the meds on an empty stomach... it sucks but it is what it is. Like another poster said it's only going to stop you if you let it :)
    Synthroid should be taken on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after eating) with a full glass of water. Wait at least 30 minutes (an hour is better) before eating or drinking anything but water.

I keep mine on my bedside table with a glass of water. Then if I wake during the night I take my Synthroid. It's a special treat to wake up the next morning and be able to immediately eat or drink anything I want.
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    I have hashimoto's as well - my thyroid levels usually seem to be in the normal range except for the antibodies, which are ridiculously high, so it was a struggle to get medicated. I had put on 60 lbs in a year before I found a doctor who would give me thyroid medication. After being put on it, most of the 60 lbs seemed to just fall off (with diet and exercise continuing). I'm currently struggling to lose weight again and my hair keeps falling out, so I think it's time to find a doctor (my former doctor left)
  • flipleis
    Options
    well I can see this thread will be a big help...not!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    well I can see this thread will be a big help...not!
    If you want to discuss your swollen feet & ankles and food sensitivity tests, then please start your own thread, rather than hijacking this one—which is about Hashimoto's.
    I was just wondering if there was anyone with Hashimoto's out there that can share their experience with losing weight. I have it and I'm not sure if it affects weight loss at all,
    Synthroid & Cytomel reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining & gaining on the meds until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Edited to add that MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • flipleis
    Options
    editorgrrl - I have hashimoto's disease - and I hardly call asking questions about food sensitivity or edema NOT related to the disease! The fact is that hashimoto's is related to edema/lymphedema because there is a strong correlation between the 2 conditions. There are many facets to this problem and I am trying to get answers from others who may have similar problems (obviously not you) to mine. What people are doing to find the right answers via diet and medication. And just to address your additional insensitive comment, food sensitivity for people with hashimoto's is something else I am interested in. Maybe other people (not you, yet again) have explored that path. I am sincerely at my wit's end trying to get a handle on this, it is debilitating and depressing and the fact that you think it's okay to just dismiss my concerns out of hand speak to a huge lack of compassion. Maybe no one else on this thread can relate to my problems either, which is why I just commented with a rather "I give up" comment. I need help, not snarky suggestions. And I am grateful to anyone out there who might have some constructive advise.
  • gingersnapps81
    gingersnapps81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for a couple of years now and I have never had any of the symptoms that you describe. They might be caused by other things. Basically, I noticed that once I got on the right dose I felt better all around and could concentrate on keeping myself eating the right foods and working out and holding myself accountable. I started my weight loss journey in 2011 at 170 lbs and I am now down to 125 with 21% body fat and I ran my first 15K a few months ago. Not very fast, mind you, but at least I finished it. It took me a while but I realized eating gluten and surgery things was what was holding me back. I feel 100% better not having gluten so maybe that is something you might want to try. Otherwise, talk to your primary physician and see what they recommend. If they do not want to help you, find another one. But make sure you are really looking inside yourself and not trying to find excuses for things that might be your own fault. I did this and that is why I am saying it now. Good luck and take care!
  • flipleis
    Options
    Otherwise, talk to your primary physician and see what they recommend. If they do not want to help you, find another one. But make sure you are really looking inside yourself and not trying to find excuses for things that might be your own fault. I did this and that is why I am saying it now. Good luck and take care!

I think hashimoto's symptoms depend on the length of time you've had it and your age, etc. And of course, not everyone has the same degree or severity of any particular symptom. I've read all the posts on this thread and am relieved to read that I am not alone re: edema, fatigue, depression, insomnia etc. I think there is more comprehensive info on the 'butterfly chasers' thread - however there is some good information here as well. But the bottom line is, no one asks to develop any disease - you can't blame it on anything other than...a chemical screw up in the body. Causes are mysterious...but what we do when we uncover the mystery is what empowers us to heal. (With a little help and support from our friends and others who are going through similar circumstances!)

I agree it's important to be introspective and figure out what you need to do for yourself...ultimately it's up to ourselves to be our own educators and advocates no matter what a doctor says! (I am lucky my gyno is at the top of the field in hormone related conditions.) So yes, I've been GF for a while now and am trying not to beat myself up too much regarding losing weight. I'll be content with feeling better in general and hope that part will fall into place once my meds are regulated and I know the thyroid is working as best as it can. (It's definitely not there yet...) And of course, losing weight requires attention and persistence - but there's not much you can do about it if your metabolism is shut down...

Thanks for your input gingersnapps and congrats on your first 15K!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have it. I also only have half of a thyroid because there was a cancerous tumor on the right side. Prior to getting my meds balanced I couldn't lose any weight even in supposed calorie deficit. I would have to drop down to 900 cals/ day to even see the needle move at all. But I've gotten the meds balanced now and have dropped 11 pounds with sufficient diet and exercise. Make sure your doctor runs a FULL thyroid panel for you, not just the TSH.
  • flipleis
    Options
    Make sure your doctor runs a FULL thyroid panel for you, not just the TSH.

Yes! On top of the T3 T4, the autoantibodies are the key to uncovering hashimotos (thyroglobulin and Peroxidase). I also have her check my iodine levels - to make sure that iodine supplementation is in range. It's these sub-clinical numbers that tell the tale when your TSH is seems to be in a normal range...

I'm beginning to realize that one of the keys for losing weight is not to be discouraged when the scale needle doesn't move - or moves in the 'wrong' direction. We have to be patient with ourselves and offer ourselves the kind of support you'd give a friend or a child - this is a disease that plays havoc with your metabolism. Only you know what foods help and what foods don't - how much exercise is right - or if you're slacking off. Be kind to yourself.
  • sammixbear
    Options
    Sorry too many posts I couldn't read through all! I was diagnosed with hashimotos in 2012 but the incompetent doctor said I was "fine." My new doctor almost had a breakdown last week. For two years my hashi has been SO high it's ridiculous. And I've never been medicated hence my 45 lbs weight gain. My mother has hashimotos and hypo yet she has reverse effects so she's 108 lbs -_- id die to trade with her. It's a common thing in my family so I have "hyper" yet I get fat. Weird I know I'm the only person that gets hyped up on Benedryl. It's a rare thing my moms side has: we have reverse effects to everything. So yep here I am not medicated nothin so I just gain weight. Never seen my mom cry before except wishing it was her and I was the skinny one because she knows I t affects my social life. My doctor may put me on thyroid which he said could take awhile and I'm like um I gained 40 lbs in 6 months so did anyone have faster results? I can't really wait I'm 26 and would not like to lose all the good years of my life. I also have chronic migraines and they put me on nortriptyline which works but I'm going to ask for topamax cause I hear it's for weighttloss. I'm desperate and need help now. As with my other posts, if no help from doctors l, gym and exercise like I have been doing for over a year then I will be seeking surgical procedures. :/
    Ps my mom has taken Synthroid for over five years and she's a mess and can't move, tired, can't work or do anything Around the house. 25% is laziness and 75% is she just can't.. The poor women is in her 40s and has the memory of a 90 year old. This disease is awful :( and I'm starting at 26. I have a job but ican barely make it with my symptoms. It's like someone dragging your body to work and you have no choice.
  • sammixbear
    Options
    Ps I highly agree with tlmarchand. I have optimal thyroid levels however severe hashimotos. Can be a big difference on how you're treated. Hashimotos is the disorder that attacks your own thyroid and body and leads to hypo. So it's possible to have both. Anyone who knows how to lose weights with this terror pleas advise. Mainly high estrogen is an issue (mine particularly) so I have been on depo again after & years cause natural progesterone does not work and I need something strong to keep my estrogen down and progesterone up! Only Advice I know is keep estrogen down- it's horrible to your body!!!
  • j_lindsley
    j_lindsley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gluten free helps some of my digestive issues but not my Hashi's.
  • froggiejen
    froggiejen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's today. Apparently I am asymptomatic and had no idea until my physical appt last week (it had been over 15 years since my last one). My initial blood work showed my TSH level was really low at .006. Upon further testing my T4 and T3 levels were normal but my antibodies was high at 1.7. I have to wait for my insurance to approve seeing an Endocrinologist. I have been overweight all my life and finally starting taking care of me by making lifestyle changes including being a lot more active and watching what I eat. I have lost almost 45 lbs in the last year which I am proud of but still have about 60 more to go. I am also borderline Type 2 Diabetic. Other than my Vitamin D levels being extremely low all the other results came back good. I am feeling kind of overwhelmed with my diagnosis and what the next steps will be...and feedback/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day everyone :-)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I've had it for over 10 years but take my medicine every day. Hasn't messed with my weight loss at all.
  • irissblue
    Options
    Hi all, Iv been back and forth to a few Dr's over the years and told Iv had Lupus (3 years later told no I didnt have Lupus) Fibro (still on the table as a possible) and just plain obese.
    Iv been wondering about Hashi, as my diet has been good, and Im fairly active with my job (vet nurse) and owning/riding 2 horses and all the outdoor work that gos with it.

I mentioned it to my new GP, but she straight away said no, as it would have been picked up in all the other blood tests Iv had done and it always leads to pretty serious issue that would have been picked up with in a short period of time - thyroid always looks fine.
    She also ruled out my question on Addisons, saying I would have had it as a child and been in hospital with it.

Iv been "slightly ill" for years! Any comments??
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Iv been back and forth to a few Dr's over the years and told Iv had Lupus (3 years later told no I didnt have Lupus) Fibro (still on the table as a possible) and just plain obese.
    Iv been wondering about Hashi, as my diet has been good, and Im fairly active with my job (vet nurse) and owning/riding 2 horses and all the outdoor work that gos with it.

I mentioned it to my new GP, but she straight away said no, as it would have been picked up in all the other blood tests Iv had done and it always leads to pretty serious issue that would have been picked up with in a short period of time - thyroid always looks fine.
    She also ruled out my question on Addisons, saying I would have had it as a child and been in hospital with it.

Iv been "slightly ill" for years! Any comments??
    You might want to get a second opinion, preferably from an endocrinologist.

I think you misunderstood the doctor on the Addison's. Some people aren't diagnosed until they're old. Very often, people don't find out they have it until they have a crisis that lands theme in the hospital. The thing can exist for quite a while before people realize something is wrong. It can show up without the bronzing, too. For what it's worth. Not that I think you have Asdison's. :)