Anyone uses other programs (WW or MWL) in addition to MFP?

Options
Has anyone tried, recommend, or have opinions on doing another program (in addition to MyFitnessPal)? I was a past member of Weight Watchers and my mother is a client for Medical Weight Loss. I did like the format of WW, training and teaching. I like the easy tracking on my fitness pal and the community set up and that it is free.

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight on Weight Watchers, and can attest that it's a WONDERFUL program. I can't say enough good things about it. I did it all Online and didn't need the meetings.

It's $19 a month for the subscription. MFP is of course, free. Both programs are good and gear you towards eating healthier, more nutrient dense food, that also contain fewer calories.

What I like about WW over MFP is that they give you a weekly allotment, in addition to your daily, which I use on splurges, parties etc. They keep me feeling like I've stayed on program, even if I go over my daily. We all know there's situations that can't be avoided if you are going to sustain this lifestyle.

I also like counting points over calories - that's just me though. There's tons of people on here that have been equally as successful using MFP.
  • shellykzoo
    shellykzoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am using WW, wearing a Fitbit and have a Fitbit scale. I like the WW tracker as it is very easy to use but MFP lets me see the nutritional breakdown and I can tell if I need less salt or more fiber. I also love how my Fitbit works with MFP. Anything that makes this journey easier.....
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of double tracking. I did however use MFP for about two weeks as I wanted to see how many calories I was consuming per day on maintenance, in addition to my macros. It was pretty educational.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm also in T.O.P.S (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) it's just like a weight watchers with the accountability and group setting only WAY cheaper..They use the exchange diet, but really you can follow any plan you want. You can google and talk to your area captain and she can steer you in a group direction.
    Good Luck
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was active in OA (Overeaters Anonymous) for two separate periods over several years. First time, I went from 375 to 285, and kept most of it off. Got overconfident and left. Second time, went from 325 to 265, and then, while still going to meetings, went right back up to 320. Left again. They don't recommend now any particular "plan of eating" (diet is a bad word), but used to use the "no whites" plan, which I followed. No whites = nothing made with white sugar, white flour, white potatoes, or white rice.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I belong to WW and MFP. WW costs $44.95 a month, was going to quit WW, but didn't happen. I don't like paying $45 a month. I had stopped losing, had stopped logging, still not logging. I have started doing the Wii Fit Plus, 310 calories a day, 30 minutes free step and the rest between running and balance activities. I figure I can lose 1 pound a day doing the 310 calories on the Wii. My current weight is 263.6 and need to lose another 49.6 lbs to reach my goal. My goal is 214 lbs or 29.96 BMI, just under the obese category. Will I go beyond the goal weight, I don't know, will have to wait and see what happens when I reach my goal.
  • kymcyndie55
    Options
    Thanks for the input. My mom has offered to pay for the medical weight loss, so I am going to give it a go. But once I am done and if I need to (hopefully not) will go back to weight watchers. I did lose 30 pounds with them the difference is that I will be doing it alone instead of having a friend with me. I love that it gives you the weekly points it did help not get frustrated on special occasions.
  • nitepagan
    Options
    I am on weight watchers, stopped the automatic withdrawal for the month of April. I take my adult daughter to WW, so don't know if I will have to join again, but it's more money than I wish or can afford to pay. The good weather is here so am hoping to get my diet working again.
  • nitepagan
    Options
    While on WW, I lost quite a bit of weight. I did this by eating power foods and by only using 10 points less than the points, I was given and never using weekly points. If I used all my points, I was given, I would never lose weight, in fact I would most likely gain weight. WW's points system is design so your weight loss is very slow, hence your in the program forever, except for those who are not conned by their gimmicks and quit the program.
  • kahyee
    kahyee Posts: 63
    Options
    I strictly use MFP now after having made lifetime with WW but couldn't stay there. I always felt hungry and defeated if I didn't lose the weight that week. I also found out really quickly how to manipulate my points for the day/week, which really didn't help me to learn what foods are good for me and my body. I love MFP. It's free and has taught me a lot about what I'm eating, why i have the cravings I do, and how to make alternative choices. Plus the community is fabulous. All I every got out of WW is the same 2-3 people talking about how they eat chemically laden food or how they were mad enough and blew the whole week. Just really wasn't for me.