HRM calories burned versus arc trainer estimates

Options
I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a HRM when I can. I currently mostly exercise at my YMCA and the machines all have the ability to enter your weight and age to estimate your calories burned. I'm curious to know from someone who uses a HRM and has been able to compare how accurate the calorie count is. I usually use the Arc Trainer and generally set the machine to be resistance of 85 and the incline at 8 and the calories burned are higher than estimated on MFP. I also have over 100 pounds to lose so I know my work out should burn more than average, and the machine generally tells me I'm around 20 calories a minute. Just trying to figure out if this is close to accurate. I'm generally somewhat out of breath and a little sweaty and moving as quickly as I can, if I go for 40 minutes, it shows a little over 1 mile. THANKS for your help! I just hate to waste my time on this machine if I'm not burning as much calories as I think. Hoping to get a HRM for Mother's Day.

Replies

• perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had been using the estimates from the machine and just got a heart rate monitor....big difference

arc 30 minutes machine was saying around 300 calories , the monitor says 230
    Running...35 min machine 420, monitor 348
    Elliptical 30 min machine 350, monitor 229
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of that...my calories burned seemed high...but I was hopeful!! I'm going to have to try to borrow one and see how it compares for me. I only eat some of my calories back and have been losing about 2 pounds a week so I haven't been too affected but I'd rather have accuracy. THANKS for the info! Very helpful!
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Rats! I don't have a HRM and have been counting the calories burned from the machine readout. I generally try to burn about 825-850 a day. I eat some of my calories back but not even close to what I burn. I'd like to know if others have had the same experience.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which method you use. The end result is the same. Track your food and track your scale. After a few weeks, if the scale isn't moving how you hoped, adjust your food.

You never need to adjust your exercise or the way you track exercise to lose weight consistently. Just adjust your food until the scale moves the right way.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise through MFP and track my calories burned with my HRM and I have found that MFP is pretty close to double what my HRM says. I use the arc at my gym and it says after 45 mins 700 burned HRM says 400.