NEWB from GA.

Options
Hello! Just finished signing up. My mom told me about the site. I just bought p90x...two of them actually. One for me and one for my sister. We have always been overweight, but I've gained about 40 (-/+ a few) since having my second daughter two years ago this May. There were a few contributing factors to the weight gain. A break up, going from a bartending job to a desk job, being a mother of two (I think we all get a little lost in that sometimes, and forget about us), and ENERGY DRINKS!! I became addicted to the grape NOS energy drinks. A few people I know have had the same problem with those drinks and gaining weight. One friend actually gained 70 lbs. in a year! Anyway, I would really like to put on a pair of shorts this summer and play outside with my girls. I literally have not worn shorts in YEARS! Not even at home. Anyway, I have tried lots of things to lose weight before. It always works, but I only last 3 or 4 days before I go back to my old ways. So I'm going to give p90x 100%. If I can't do something for 90 days, I have no business breathing.

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Welcome, from a fellow Georgian. I am new here, too, but I've used other websites like this and think this one is the best so far in terms of usability _and_ usefulness. I think you're being too hard on yourself. P90X is really cool but it may not be the workout for you. Give it a try, but don't beat yourself up if you can't do the exercises, yet. If P90X isn't enjoyable, then maybe you need to find other activities that you do enjoy - biking, running, skating, etc.
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    the key to this website is lifestyle change not even just for 90 days or a week....your allowed bad days but in the end if you want to maintain the weight you lost you need to keep a tab of ur eating habits....I hope this website helps you....there is a large support network with everyone trying to get to the same place with similar stories x
  • RhondaCrombie
    Options
    Hi! I am from GA, too! Good luck with changing your lifestyle to become healthier and happier!
  • TeriB19
    TeriB19 Posts: 33
    Options
    the key to this website is lifestyle change not even just for 90 days or a week....your allowed bad days but in the end if you want to maintain the weight you lost you need to keep a tab of ur eating habits....I hope this website helps you....there is a large support network with everyone trying to get to the same place with similar stories x

These are the truest words ever. FINALLY at age 42, I've learned that it's not just going on a diet, losing weight, then going off the diet and starting the cycle all over again. I've FINALLY gotten it through my head that it is a LIFESTYLE change. I have to continue to be careful even after I've hit my goal. I have to continue to exercise, run, be active and watch my calories. Not sure why it took me so long to realize this, but now that I know, I'm going to make this lifestyle change permanent.
  • Ashleigh_75
    Options
    Thanks for all the "welcomes" and advice! My kit came today and I'm super excited to get started. I totally agree that it has to be a lifestyle change! A friend of mine keeps doing weight watchers (nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into). The problem is that she "keeps doing" it. She loses weight, stops ww, and then gains the weight back. She's doing it again now that spring is here and I think the problem with that is that ww doesn't teach you how to change your lifestyle...just the quantity of food you eat. And it's the SAME food at that! Just lower fat versions. I'm doing p90x (and blogging about it on MFP everyday for the 90 days...check it out!) as a way to jump-start the life-change! They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, so after 90 days, it should be more than just a habit. It should be a part of my daily life (working out and eating healthy). Thanks for all the support! :) I'm excited!!! :):)