Is 1200 too low?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    man these threads bashing 1200 calorie diets are annoying.

You need to check your interpretation of 'bashing'. You seem to take it PERSONALLY when people respond to the question asked by the OP with answers that call in to question your choices. That does not mean anyone is bashing YOUR diet- do whatever you want. You are an adult (if I remember correctly) in your 30's, and you do not have to apply anything anyone says to yourself. You are choosing to interpret it that way.

ummmm, when the o.p.'s choice was my choice, yes it is.
    And there ya go. She has just stated that disagreeing with her is 'bashing.'

And now she has just bashed you by disagreeing with you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You need to check your interpretation of 'bashing'. You seem to take it PERSONALLY when people respond to the question asked by the OP with answers that call in to question your choices. That does not mean anyone is bashing YOUR diet- do whatever you want. You are an adult (if I remember correctly) in your 30's, and you do not have to apply anything anyone says to yourself. You are choosing to interpret it that way.

I guess I missed the part where you are 5'6", 155 lbs, 29y/o f, exercising 25 minutes a day and asking for opinions on your diet.

Would you say, by that definition, that you are a vegetarian diet basher, based on the last post on the previous page? I just need to know how to get appropriately butthurt about that comment, being as how I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I am rethinking the whole thing now since now I know someone on the internet doesn't agree with that choice!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    based on the info you provided your TDEE is 2320 so a 30% deficit would be about 1630 calories a day. So you might want to bump up to that number and see how that works. If you are just doing cardio then you really want to add in strength training. I would recommend three days a week of total body workouts with cardio/HIIT on off days and then take two days off a week..after about three to four months..back off t he cardio and go more strength training....

you should be doing a program that has you squatting, deadlifting, over head presses, chinups/pullups, etc...

Also, starvation mode is a myth. You would have to not eat for 72 hours for your body to even begin to start eating away at muscle and even then it is slight....

And please do not fall prey to the six small meals a day trap ..I fell into that one for about a year or two and realized that is totally wrong...

I do lean gain 18/8 ...skip breakfast fast for 18 hours with a 8 hour feeding window and have lost three percent body fat 16 to 13....

Find something that works for you and stick to it for four to six weeks as this is how long it takes your body to adapt...

good luck to you ...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I do great on 1200. But I'm older, with a history of crash dieting, and I'm very sedentary except for exercise. I used to eat my exercise calories back (and had serious issues with HRMs overestimating my burn), but as I've gotten closer to goal weight the loss was intolerably slow so I now I only eat them back if I feel like I need to. I will even eat more on days when I didn't exercise if I feel like I need to.

My signs to eat more are: Fatigue, foggy or light headed, and especially my mood. When I get cranky I head for the fridge. Not for snack food, not for junk food, for actual food. Things like ground beef and steak. Works every time.

I record my exercise calories as '1' in my diary and if I go over I deal with having red numbers that day. I estimate that I burn around 200 calories per work out.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Some people will tell you that the more you eat, the more you will lose, but seriously, has that been working for you? Many people here eat 1200 and lose weight. You have to take your own special circumstances into account. Like, a big muscular guy tells you to eat more-- consider the source.

I am not a expert but I play one on TV.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

In case you didn't know, everything on the internet is about her.

it's not, but i'm way more interesting than these repeat threads so maybe it should be.

No one was bashing a 1200 calorie diet. This is about education. If you're bored - quit haunting these threads. See? Easy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Some people will tell you that the more you eat, the more you will lose, but seriously, has that been working for you? Many people here eat 1200 and lose weight. You have to take your own special circumstances into account. Like, a big muscular guy tells you to eat more-- consider the source.

What an ignorant thing to say....the "big muscular guy" who you seem to be responding about took in to consideration the OP's height, weight, age, and activity level when he gave a calorie recommendation, you on the other hand seem to have only used the flawed logic of "lots of people are doing it so it must work".

How's this? I already said in this thread that my height weight, age, and activity are similar to the OP and I agree with the muscular dude. Is that ok coming from me since I look different?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

And there ya go. She has just stated that disagreeing with her is 'bashing.'

And now she has just bashed you by disagreeing with you.

uh okay. i think i need to make an awesome thread myself one of these days. you can disagree all you want, but you're WRONG.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

the big muscular dude (I guess that is me) also said that starvation mode is a myth...

I also never said that the OP was eating too low..i simply suggested that based on activity level and stats that 1630 cal intake might be a better way to go..

I have no problem with a 1200 cal diet if it is working...as the OP posted this thread, I assume it is not and said person wants advice...

Just trying to share some knowledge that I have learned along a seven year journey from 200 pounds @ 25% body fat to 170# and 13% body fat..but hey, what the hell do i know...?
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    based on the info you provided your TDEE is 2320 so a 30% deficit would be about 1630 calories a day. So you might want to bump up to that number and see how that works. If you are just doing cardio then you really want to add in strength training. I would recommend three days a week of total body workouts with cardio/HIIT on off days and then take two days off a week..after about three to four months..back off t he cardio and go more strength training....

you should be doing a program that has you squatting, deadlifting, over head presses, chinups/pullups, etc...

Also, starvation mode is a myth. You would have to not eat for 72 hours for your body to even begin to start eating away at muscle and even then it is slight....

And please do not fall prey to the six small meals a day trap ..I fell into that one for about a year or two and realized that is totally wrong...

I do lean gain 18/8 ...skip breakfast fast for 18 hours with a 8 hour feeding window and have lost three percent body fat 16 to 13....

Find something that works for you and stick to it for four to six weeks as this is how long it takes your body to adapt...

good luck to you ...
    ^This, x 1,000!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Because what happens when you want to maintain? Are you going to eat 1200 forever? Don't let it get used to running on so little. Net your bmr if you exercise or eat your bmr if you skip exercise.

If I eat 1200 calories forever, I'm pretty sure I'll continue to lose. I have to up my calories now to stop the freefall. I don't think this is true at all.

I wouldn't really go as far as to say "forever". At some point 1200 will become your maintenance. How long have you been eating 1200?

If you do up your calories after some point, say to 1400, you might gain a bit at first. If you were a skinny kid it might work for longer than usual. But still, to maintain your 'end/goal' weight you're going to have to keep eating 1200. Any little bump will signal a bit of a gain.

For people who have had weight issues for a while, they honestly shouldn't baseline at 1200 every single day. It's unnecessary. I tried that. It doesn't work and it doesn't for some people. If folks are coming to this board and asking "hey, am I doing this right?" most likely they're not having the success they've been hoping for.

And that's the key thing here.

Glad it's working for you though.

I was doing 1200 calories for around 9.5 months. not sure about the first 2 months or so because it was before i started tracking. yes, i was an underweight kid. I have been continuing to lose. I'm at 113 this morning. Now I'm upping my calories because I don't want to lose more. I don't see how upping my calories from a number where I was still losing, would result in gaining. There is a number called maintanance and 1200 isn't it.
  • prisan512
    prisan512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is too low, whether you are trying to lose, maintain, or gain. You need to go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and do the calculations. I did them based on your sex, height, weight, and age.

YOUR NUMBERS
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): (to just live, without counting any physical activity) 1497
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE): 2320
    Daily Calories to lose 15% deficit : 1972

All these numbers already calculate your moderate exercise. So if you are looking to maintain, you eat at TDEE. If you are looking to lose then at the deficit. If you are trying to gain then you can figure out those numbers on the page as well. The BMR is what your body needs in order to function, to breathe, eat, sleep, shower, etc.

Eating healthy matters as well. Eating as clean as possible helps as well. Also, I recommend reading Primal Blueprint, or check out the authors webpage Marksdailyapple.com, goes through what the book is about. You don't have to be paleo/primal to enjoy the information you learn. But, it helps you figure out what you should or not should not be eating. Of course everyone is in charge of themselves and what they eat and do to their own bodies. But I suggest you educate yourself in many things before taking anyone's advice.
    I have gone primal, and it's changed my life.
    Hope this helps!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: the best intake for *you* will depend on your personal circumstances, which include things like your age, weight, activity level, plus your goals as well as how good you are getting enough nutrients into your diet, adherence, energy and gym performance.

The best way to approach it is to:

- set yourself at a realistic activity level (anyone that does more than sit around all day is not sedentary)
    - set yourself a realistic weight loss target/deficit each week. A 1lb a week target is *usually* appropriate
    - eat most of your exercise calories back otherwise you will end up to be at a higher than reasonable deficit
    - try to eat a good portion of your intake from nutrient dense foods but throw in treats here and there
    - hit your macros

The issue with creating a too large of a deficit is that you can have negative hormonal and metabolic issues, run a greater risk of loss of LBM, run a greater risk of 'falling off the wagon' and have a greater chance reduced energy.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to tell you how many calories to eat and it adjusts for exercise. If you work out, it will add the negative calories to your daily allotment. As long as you're tracking your food and exercise, I recommend you try to stay very close to the recommended calories for maximum effectiveness and health. Good luck!
  • Aviva92
    Options

I guess I missed the part where you are 5'6", 155 lbs, 29y/o f, exercising 25 minutes a day and asking for opinions on your diet.

Would you say, by that definition, that you are a vegetarian diet basher, based on the last post on the previous page? I just need to know how to get appropriately butthurt about that comment, being as how I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I am rethinking the whole thing now since now I know someone on the internet doesn't agree with that choice!

and your opinions would be so much different if we were talking about a 5'4", 140 pound woman who exercises 25 pounds a day? that was my starting weight. I doubt the answers would be any different because I've seen people even shorter than me given the same speech about 1200 being too low.

i didn't bash vegetarian diets at all if you actually read my post.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't too low if you have a LOT to lose, eat your exercise calories back and see how it goes. I lost 38 of my 65 goal and now am increasing since I don't have a LOT to lose anymore.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your height and weight and daily lifestyle, it's hard to say. Still, I will say yes, it's too low.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i lost 81 lbs eating 1200 calories a day. i burned about that much per day (1200 calories) in exercise five days a week. i've never felt better. no starvation mode for me. over 7 months now. there were days when i was over, but i always just climbed back on the wagon. it worked for me.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Oops. forgot the info- I'm 5'6, 155 lbs...29 yrs old.

Thanks for the feedback so far...I'm not starving myself and rarely feel hungry also.

I am 5'3, 29 years old and eat 1800 every day and am losing. I hate the 1200 only thing...just isn't for me. It works for some though. I do TDEE/BMR (the method listed above) and have went from 168 (Jan 1st) to 159 (Feb 7) doing -20%.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    u could eat 2000 calories, exercise and still lose weight

Knowing nothing about the original poster's age, height, weight or activity level--I can't possibly imagine how you would know this.

Pretty much EVERY female on the planet could!