Effort to burn 500 calories 60 min

Options
What would you rate your effort level 1-10? 10 being soaked in sweat tired, when you verify you have burned 500 calories in one hour? I use a HRM and am sweaty and tired after burning 450 calories, yet I see others talk of burning 600 calories walking in one hour.

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Id say Im at a 7,5 or so
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    not sure how it works but maybe if you are severely obese you might get your heart rate up that high because you aren't used to the exercise. it's the eternal problem - the more in shape you are - the harder it is to burn...
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    and yes. i have to be soaked in sweat and had my heart rate around 155 the whole time to get near 500 an hour. not possible at walking (115ish)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Every weekday I do Treadmill "hill option" and put the level at 20 and burn 535 calories in one hour 5x a week-
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did the dreaded elliptical for 30 minutes and was dripping sweat don't know specific cal count cause I did a core class, then did a mile but the elliptical made me drip
  • rhubarboo
    Options
    I use a HRM, and have just done 133 minutes of cross country interval training, in a very hilly area, and burned 1085 calories. I am tired and sweaty, but also feel great!! Now I do need shower.....ewww!
  • hixona
    hixona Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would be sweaty. I work with a PT and burn about 800+ calories in 60 to 90 minutes. My hair is wet when I leave.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Sure, I can burn that much "walking" on a treadmill but only on a steep incline. I'd say the effort is about a 7 on a scale of 1-10 for me, but I also have quite a lot of weight to lose, so I burn calories easier than some. I definitely sweat (hair will be wet, sweat dripping on face), but it's less effort that some other exercises that I enjoy.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I can burn about 800 an hour running, but then I weigh almost 160lbs.

I get more like 450 for an hour of Insanity or Les Mills Combat... even less for cycling. Walking is maybe 200 for an hour for me. It is quite dependent on your weight and your heart rate.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It depends how I burn them. I like to run on the treadmill. If I put a really high incline and go about 3mph, I am not sweaty at all and get about 510 calories. But if I stay at a zero incline, I have to bust my *kitten* and run really hard and get sweaty and I am lucky if I get to 500. Usually 460.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I burn about 90 calories per mile when I run at 5-6mph (which would be about a 7 for me as far as all sweaty but still able to speak). I could never burn over 500 in an hour since I only run about a 11.5-12 minute miles.

My friend who is considerably bigger than me (280ish - I am 125) burns 500+ just walking 2 miles.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Must be nice. I can have my elliptical on the highest tension level averaging 13mph and only burn 400 calories, per my hrm.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't workout in an effort to hit a calories burned number. It's an extremely inefficient way to plan exercise. And when you combine it with the mfp plan of eating your calories back to net zero, you're putting yourself on a hamster wheel for no reason at all
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't workout in an effort to hit a calories burned number. It's an extremely inefficient way to plan exercise. And when you combine it with the mfp plan of eating your calories back to net zero, you're putting yourself on a hamster wheel for no reason at all

Truth.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Truth.
    Please explain the better way.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Second this.

I work out at a personal 10 unless I'm sick or injured and even then, go big, or go home. And don't worry about what other people burn.

P.S. I was already dying on the elliptical today (I'm working through a knee prob, otherwise I'd be running) and my trainer walked by and cranked my resistance up and kept me on for an hour. This is why I love/pay her.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    not what I asked, and not even why I was wondering, dont like hamsters THX!
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    I have HRM also, and yes I'm completely sweaty after about 400 calories burned. Sure, if I'm doing a HIIT workout I can still burn lots even though it's a shorter period of time. However, I agree burning lots of calories requires lots of work from me.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thank you for allthe good perspective. Nice to get the input!:smile:
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    It takes me about 1 hour and a half to burn 500 and that include the elliptical, treadmill,and weights. I am usually dripping sweat from my eyebrows by then. It's probably an 8 or 9 for me. Sometimes I feel like I want to puke afterwards.