Help!eat clean & healthy but hates veggies/fruit/seafood!?

Options
Alright, this message goes out to everyone.. I pretty much hate a lot of veggies... the only ones i eat are usually no no's like corn and potatoes... i do like broccoli but its gotta be cooked.. and it cant be plain. i like iceburg lettuce but i hate other lettuces.. the darker they are the worse it is for me to chew. I like onions, green, white, yellow and red i could eat them cooked or even raw- love raw. I love tomatoes. Love sweet potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, olives...

Fruits i like- apples with no peel, strawberries, sometimes i like grapes, lemons, the occasional orange/tangerine, avocados, peaches, pineapples..

and absolutely NO seafood.. ive tried so much and i hate it all.

so thats it ladies and gentlemen... How the hell do i eat better when i hate so much stuff and like so little??

I pretty much cant think out of the box lately and plan a menu... suggestions are sooooo welcome!!!

Replies

• apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    I feel your pain as I am sadly a fussy git too when it comes to veg.
    I have been surviving on a diet of brown rice and wholemeal pasta, and a high protein diet for the remaining bulk of things, but eat smaller portions.
    When I do eat well at weekends, I hide veg in my recipes (home made meatballs and ragu with tonnes of spinach in for example)
  • Trav2013
    Options
    I am the same way!! Thanks for the post. I hope you get some answers!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    It's going to be very hard for you to eat clean and healthy if you dislike most clean and healthy foods. You can try to stick with what you like, but that will be boring. I prefer veggies over most fruit, but maybe you could incorporate more fruits in your diet. Chicken and lean other meats sound like your only choices left. If you're really wanting to be healthier and lose weight, then you're probably going to have to give the fruits n veggies another try. Maybe you could look up some recipes for adding flavor to them. Maybe try some seasonings to them, and try different ones. You could try some low cal dressing on the raw veggies. You don't necessarily have to love seafood, but it does help add some variety. I like catfish with some lemon juice, salt pepper, and some tartar sauce or lemon on the side. It doesn't have a strong taste to it. Also tilapia is also another good one. Good luck to you!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to get a balanced "clean" diet without fruit or vegetables. I would get friendly with a good blender and start hiding your fruits and vegetables in shakes. I would also recommend getting one of those cookbooks for how to hide vegetables in meals for little kids- sounds silly, but, you need them. IN a variety of different colors, on a daily basis. Soups and stir frys might be good if you can deal with them.

Seafood you don't have to eat if you don't want to- but you might want to incorporate flax seed in your diet and consider taking an Omega-3 supplement.

You're going to have to get past the veggie thing though.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, OP. You've listed a huge range of fruit and veg you DO like. I'm willing to bet plenty of people have a narrower range of fruit and veg they eat on a regular basis, but don't consider themselves not to like fruit and veg. Most people's grocery budget doesn't allow for 20 types of fruit and veg, so why not just eat what you like in decent quantities, in different ways, and be happy? If you think something would fill a particular gap in your nutrition, give it a few goes and you might start to like it :flowerforyou:
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused, OP. You've listed a huge range of fruit and veg you DO like. I'm willing to bet plenty of people have a narrower range of fruit and veg they eat on a regular basis, but don't consider themselves not to like fruit and veg. Most people's grocery budget doesn't allow for 20 types of fruit and veg, so why not just eat what you like in decent quantities, in different ways, and be happy? If you think something would fill a particular gap in your nutrition, give it a few goes and you might start to like it :flowerforyou:

^Exactly. You've listed so many different things you like, just stick to those. Prepare them in different ways and your meals won't seem so dull.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1. People eat broccoli raw?

2. I don't like brushing my teeth. I just do it. (NIKE)

3. Eventually it just becomes habit.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Just eat it I hate Greek yoghurt but I make sure I have it everyday you have to come over it or your weightloss is going to be hell I was addicted to sugar literally but I stopped that an my weights coming of nicely you have to do what you don't like to get the results you want I hated exercise but now I love it I hated fish and I forced myself to eat tuna over an over an now I love it if you was in this for the long run then you need to get over it put some pepper on your veggies or put them in a casserole or somthing
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options

2. I don't like brushing my teeth. I just do it. (NIKE)

3. Eventually it just becomes habit.

THIS!!! lol
  • mic1mam
    Options
    Try some of your fav fruits with one you can tolerate and put fat free cool whip on top for a fruit salad. You can also add some nuts for crunch or granola. I only eat a few veggies also, so I change up when I eat them. Do you like yogurt? Add small amount of a fruit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You have a fine list of fruits and veggies that you like. Just base your eating habits around those. There's no reason to add in foods you dislike.

The number 1 rule of the game is to stay in the game. Eating things you enjoy will give you a better chance of sticking with your goals than trying to constantly eat things you hate.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options

love raw broccoli and cauliflower....weaning myself into being able to eat them cooked now
  • Hlami
    Hlami Posts: 12
    Options
    Absolutely agree with the replies here...you are going to learn to like them.. It's also a mental game we need to play sometimes, have you tried challenging yourself to find new recipes to try with the foods you like, also try seasonings and spices that you enjoy. Hiding them in smoothies also helps get them down . I make my morning smoothie with a head of raw romaine or two handfuls of raw spinach or kale. I find that blending them with a fruit, half a cup of skim milk , half a cup of raw oats and half a cup of milk( fat free)... It's good and tastes of fruity vanilla, not veggies....

Ultimately, though your taste buds will change and become accustomed to vegetables. Eventually you may even prefer them plain ( as I do) because you can taste the natural sweetness in them. Trust me, it's there..

Have faith in you, have faith in your bodies, it's designed to love and appreciate veggies, your taste buds will come round.

Also, make sure you are buying the best quality you can afford, as the sweetness and texture is directly related to this... There is a Huuuugggee difference between tomatoes gron in the hothouse, picked before ripeness and keeps in cold state for 6 months before going to market.. and those picked at the moment of ripeness and at market within that week...

Goodluck, let me know how it goes?
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    have you tried shredded romaine lettuce mixed with shredded iceberg? there a lot of foods that i thought i disliked and then when i tried them another time around i actually liked it! for example...brussel sprouts. i always hated them growing up...now, I LOVE THEM...samet thing with asparagus...canned or frozen is BLAHH but fresh, roasted in the oven with garlic is amazing!! believe it or not, your taste buds change throughout life. so keep trying things. dont be afraid. and stop using the word hate...i dislike raw broccoli, but i love it cooked! try some of these veggies that you hate so much prepared differently.

do u like carrots? shredded in a salad? have you tried different colored peppers? green, yellow, orange, and red...they all have different flavors and some taste better raw with dip or cooked. sugar snap peas? great in stir fries. zucchini? also great in stir fries, casseroles, and soup and doesnt have much flavor.

you seriously cant eat the peel to an apple? i used to be like that too, in kindergarten. just start eating it with the skin and you will get used to it. strawberries? kiwis? bananas? grapes? FRESH PINEAPPLE IS LIKE CRACK!! pomegranates? mango? raspberries? blueberries?
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You have a fine list of fruits and veggies that you like. Just base your eating habits around those. There's no reason to add in foods you dislike.

The number 1 rule of the game is to stay in the game. Eating things you enjoy will give you a better chance of sticking with your goals than trying to constantly eat things you hate.

what he said. nothing wrong with potatoes and corn. I wouldn't eat a raw broccoli until the zombie apocalypse and I'd be having a good look around first.

There are some recipes which make less desirable vegies nice but no-one can tell me I will like a fried eggplant. I kinda like babaganoush though
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Start with increasing the amounts of the fruits and veggies that you like. When you feel adventurous, try something new, or cook something familar in a new way. I could not enjoy cauliflower until I tried it roasted...totally different flavor. I agree with the other posters about the smoothies. Put a handful of baby spinach in with some fruit and dairy and blend it together. Add grated carrots to sauces...they disappear and make the sauce a little sweeter. Try herbs and spices to see what you like as flavorings. It is a learning process to understand what good nutrition entails and different ways to prepare old foods or new foods. Take your time and enjoy. Meals ought to be fun to get ready and delicious to eat, not something to get stressed about.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You might find as you eat healthier that your tastes change a bit. I didn't used to like sweet potatoes or mushrooms, now I eat them all the time. Your goal (for optimal health) is 5-7 servings of a variety of kinds of veggies. I'll be honest that I don't always make it, but it's a work in progress. Try roasting them (my favorite way to eat veggies), putting them in soups, and like morebean suggested, make yourself a shake. There are tons of recipes online for hiding veggies in your food.

You don't have to cut out starchy vegetables like corn, btw. You definitely want plenty of non-starchy ones, but we eat corn and potatoes on a regular basis in my house.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's one reason I love buying mixed bags of frozen vegetables. There's a lot that I don't like enough to buy in bulk - you'll never catch me eating JUST cauliflower - but if it's in a mix with snow peas, broccoli, peppers, mushroom and carrots in an Oriental blend and cooked with a little Teriyaki, Peanut or General Tso sauce, I'll gladly eat it... or at least barely notice it. Same goes for the squash in the Italian blend veggies.
  • nikki801
    Options
    have you tried shredded romaine lettuce mixed with shredded iceberg? there a lot of foods that i thought i disliked and then when i tried them another time around i actually liked it! for example...brussel sprouts. i always hated them growing up...now, I LOVE THEM...samet thing with asparagus...canned or frozen is BLAHH but fresh, roasted in the oven with garlic is amazing!! believe it or not, your taste buds change throughout life. so keep trying things. dont be afraid. and stop using the word hate...i dislike raw broccoli, but i love it cooked! try some of these veggies that you hate so much prepared differently.

do u like carrots? shredded in a salad? have you tried different colored peppers? green, yellow, orange, and red...they all have different flavors and some taste better raw with dip or cooked. sugar snap peas? great in stir fries. zucchini? also great in stir fries, casseroles, and soup and doesnt have much flavor.

you seriously cant eat the peel to an apple? i used to be like that too, in kindergarten. just start eating it with the skin and you will get used to it. strawberries? kiwis? bananas? grapes? FRESH PINEAPPLE IS LIKE CRACK!! pomegranates? mango? raspberries? blueberries?

Eating apple peels is two things for me, one its a texture waxy issue, and two it phsycially hurts my teeth and gums.. not sure why but it does every time i try. I know the peel has a lot of nutrients in it but oh well. at least i eat the damn apple :)
  • booty_wurk
    Options
    A lot of people hate seafood and that's totally understandable. Basically, if you hate it-don't eat it. You will be miserable if you're forcing yourself to eat foods you don't enjoy. With that being said, sometimes you have to tweak foods a little to make them more tasty. Spices can be your best friend when it comes to veggies. Sprinkle some curry over cauliflower or garlic powder on broccoli and then cook it in the oven. Or sneak it in your foods like w/ a cauliflower pizza crust or spaghetti squash noodles.