HELP!eat clean & healthy but hates veggies/fruit/seafood!?

Options
Alright, this message goes out to everyone.. I pretty much hate a lot of veggies... the only ones i eat are usually no no's like corn and potatoes... i do like broccoli but its gotta be cooked.. and it cant be plain. i like iceburg lettuce but i hate other lettuces.. the darker they are the worse it is for me to chew. I like onions, green, white, yellow and red i could eat them cooked or even raw- love raw. I love tomatoes. Love sweet potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, olives...

Fruits i like- apples with no peel, strawberries, sometimes i like grapes, lemons, the occasional orange/tangerine, avocados, peaches, pineapples..

and absolutely NO seafood.. ive tried so much and i hate it all.

so thats it ladies and gentlemen... How the hell do i eat better when i hate so much stuff and like so little??

I pretty much cant think out of the box lately and plan a menu... suggestions are sooooo welcome!!!

Replies

• angelatheart920
    Options
    I love vegi's , however I take a multivitamin called....... Alive Women's Energy...it has everything from A-Z and 26 fruits & vegetables plus more good things for you. I buy this Alive.....at Wal-Mart it's only like $9-. Hope that helps you. Oh yeah as far as the fish....I also take krill oil it is the best oils you can take that will cost about $23-30- depending where you buy it. I bought one from Walgreen and it's their brand.
    So there you have all the stuff in 2 pills you don't like to eat...isn't that a great option ?
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Alright, this message goes out to everyone.. I pretty much hate a lot of veggies... the only ones i eat are usually no no's like corn and potatoes... i do like broccoli but its gotta be cooked.. and it cant be plain. i like iceburg lettuce but i hate other lettuces.. the darker they are the worse it is for me to chew. I like onions, green, white, yellow and red i could eat them cooked or even raw- love raw. I love tomatoes. Love sweet potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, olives...

Fruits i like- apples with no peel, strawberries, sometimes i like grapes, lemons, the occasional orange/tangerine, avocados, peaches, pineapples..

so thats it ladies and gentlemen... How the hell do i eat better when i hate so much stuff and like so little??

I pretty much cant think out of the box lately and plan a menu... suggestions are sooooo welcome!!!

Just start to learn to like vegetables and stop being picky.
  • angelatheart920
    Options
    I love vegi's , however I take a multivitamin called....... Alive Women's Energy...it has everything from A-Z and 26 fruits & vegetables plus more good things for you. I buy this Alive.....at Wal-Mart it's only like $9-. Hope that helps you. Oh yeah as far as the fish....I also take krill oil it is the best oils you can take that will cost about $23-30- depending where you buy it. I bought one from Walgreen and it's their brand.
    So there you have all the stuff in 2 pills you don't like to eat...isn't that a great option ?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Solution? Keep eating those things. I don't see the problem here.

Nothing wrong with potatoes, cooked broccoli or iceberg lettuce. Mushrooms, olives and sweet potatoes are good. I'd be surprised if you didn't like bell peppers since you like tomatoes - srsly, they're delicious.

and absolutely NO seafood.. ive tried so much and i hate

Then don't eat seafood.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    NO Problem...STAY as You are! You want someone to offer you a "magic bullet", sorry "magic pill" for Good Health and Weight reduction, well, No matter what quack Oz says or any one else YOUR only options for Good Health (Staying Disease Free, ease of Mobility as you age...) and Normalized weight is eating well (which means at least 60-70% of your food being comprised of Veggies and Fruit) and at least moderate exercise. Have you seen the recent data on Life longevity and joint health and staying disease free... Vegetarians are the winners (and Vegetarians who eat Fish maybe 2-3 times per week). THIS IS what WELLNESS is all about, NOT just losing a bit of weight for the short term.

You CAN change...AND you will, Now (voluntarily) or Later (out of Necessity).
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you don't like seafood, eat other meat. If those are the fruits and vegies you like, eat those. Do you have a gluten allergy or anything that prevents you from eating grains, nuts, seeds and legumes? Do you have an allergy to lactose? It seems to me like if you add some dairy, legumes, nuts, and lean meat to the things you've already listed, then you have the makings of a fine, healthy, nutritious diet.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    A good way to add/sneak in extra veggies is by using frozen spinach or greens in a smoothie with berries. Blending them in also works with sauces, like tomato, bechamel for veggie white lasagna. Mixed in an omelet, frittata, or quiche. Roasting them can be amazing, especially squash, asparagus, broccoli, and green beans.
  • AngelaBianco82
    AngelaBianco82 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have problems with veggies and fruit. (I'm kinda picky) too, but I eat the ones I like.. I hate salad...tried tons of different types so I replaced it with a veggie i like so I have cucumbers with grape tomatoes.

Try sweet potato...it's better for you, but if you dont like it don't force it.

If you eat stuff you don't like and force it down, then you will give up. Try something new or try a recipe to see if you might like it cooked over raw.

Eat the fruits and veggies you like.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Try soups. That's an easy way to get the veggies you need. Make smmothies with fruit. Don't worry about seafood
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    How about a few eggs..or whole grains...greek yogurt...a little milk
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Just start to learn to like vegetables and stop being picky.

No.

Op, just stick to what you like and do. Do venture out time to time and try new things bc our tastes do change. However while someone can come on and drown me with the benefits of eating veggies 5 times a day, I don't care plus I already know them. I don't like a great deal of them and hardly eat veggies and am perfectly happy and fit. I will not force myself to eat something I do not like, what's the point in that? No one is perfect and do what works for you. Eat healthy, there's nothing wrong with dairy or whole grain either. Eating clean and healthy doesn't mean eating salads and veggies all day.

Seafood-Can't even stomach to look at it.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options

You CAN change...AND you will, Now (voluntarily) or Later (out of Necessity).
    This true for so many of life's challenges. Well said!

To OP... No worries. Its great that youre trying different foods. You don't have to eat seafood or cauliflower to eat clean and healthy. Just keep trying new things and stick to what you like. Best wishes!
  • LizReeb
    Options
    Suggestions/thoughts:

1) (Similar to others on here) - Eat what you like, just eat more of the things you like with a low calorie density (More volume, less calories). (Or, alternatively, eat exactly what you like, just less of it.)

2) Don't consider this as punishing yourself, or feel like you're being "sentenced" to eat foods you hate to lose weight. That's a sure-fire way to not lose weight, because then the cravings often get out of control.

3) When I start out, my first goal is to find foods I enjoy that have a low calorie density and are filling. As I work down my portion sizes, my body wants more VOLUME until I get used to eating differently. Things with high fiber tend to be awesome for this. (Chicken Chili was a staple for me the first week. It can be as low as 230ish calories for a nice sized, 1lb bowl of it. With beans! Yum!)

4) Experiment, get a little adventurous. Keep eating the foods you like, but start trying some new things to add in. If I'm short a nutrient, I look up things that have a lot of that nutrient. (I found hull-less barley for the soluble fiber. AWESOME filler if you enjoy it, I use it in place of rice.) Sweet and sour chicken (go light on the sauce!) and barley. Make your own pizza! (We did a red onion/chicken/alfredo sauce/spinach/feta pizza once, that was awesome.)

5) Someone else said it, and it's a great suggestion - mix veggies into stuff you love. I'll cook spinach into our (chicken) taco meat. It cooks down nicely, doesn't impact the flavor much with the taco seasonings, and does add some good nutrition. (Not to mention it brings down the calorie density).

So sorry, little bit of rambling. But best of luck, you can do it!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options

You just have to be creative and have an open mind.... Everyone thinks clean eating is boring and limited.... But honestly it's not..... I eat white potatoes about 3 times a week after lifting.... I Recently cut out bread just because i am eating a high fat diet now...

Veggies : I steam pretty much EVERYTHING! You can get frozen veggies in a microwavable bag which makes it easier. Try green beans, brussel sprouts(even my 8 year old brother likes them....), carrots, brocolli, cauliflour, and the list just goes on.....

Fruit : Mangos and grapefruit are really good for fat loss, apples, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, theres just a toooooon!

Seafood : If you really don't like it then don't eat it! Get your protein from chicken breasts, lean meats, and protein powder!

Like i said... It is really not that hard to eat healthy... You just have to keep an open mind! Plus your taste buds will change the more you eat good foods.... You will like them more and more, as long as you stick to it!!!

How bad do you want it...?!?! THEN STOP MAKING EXCUSES! :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I find alot of people who hate veggies just never had them cooked the best ways, usually they grew up on boiled veggies...gross lol...roasting your veggies with a little olove oil and some cajun spice or dill, or salt and pepper, whatever you have, makes them sooo delicious!! I roast, sweet potato, carrots, zucchini, peppers, onion, turnip , parsnips, broccoli ...you name it!!! ....try maybe cooking them in different ways that might help.....also you don't need to eat seafood, eat chicken, beef, pork, eggs, nuts , there are lots of other things to eat whole, just think of the outside isles of the grocery store, forget the inner isles ( all the prepackaged processed crap) :) and try to buy your foods in those areas
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't like/eat seafood either so I have no tips for you there. But, when it comes to fruits and veggies sometimes combining something you don't like with something you do (over and over and over) can train your tastebuds to like that flavor too. It can also create a positive association with that food making it easier to like. But, if you don't feel like learning to like different foods then stick to foods you enjoy and find recipes to change them up. You don't HAVE to eat anything you don't want to. :-)
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Try soups. That's an easy way to get the veggies you need. Make smmothies with fruit. Don't worry about seafood
    Soups are a great idea! Easy way for you to combine new/additional veggies to your diet in a way that is not discreet and recognizable, so maybe less likely to trip your hate-o-meter. Also, I wondered from your comment about lettuces if you have an issue with TEXTURE and food. My son is very freaked out by the textures of many foods. He's an extremely picky eater. We try to get him to try items that are very similar to things he already likes, but texture differences often make him balk.

Which leads me to another great thing you can do with soup. Hold any meat, pasta, or grain to be added to the end. If simmered meat ingredients are yielding your broth, just move the broth to a second pot and cook your veg and seasonings in it. When the veggies are softened, use an immersion blender (stick blender) to blend up the veggies and broth into a homogenous, smooth, thick soup base. No "pieces" or unexpected crunch or chewy veggies to get hung up on. Just the flavors and nutrition all blended up for you. Then you can add any pasta or pre-cooked meat to the pot and you're good to go. My son eats my tortilla soup made this way and it has peppers, tomatoes, onions, and several spices in the base in addition to lime juice, FF evaporated milk, and chicken broth. I put tortilla strips and chicken chunks in his bowl with him watching, ladle some soup over it, and then he may add cheese and sour cream, but he EATS it. And it has vegetables and he KNOWS it. Something you could give a try. Also, may butternut squash, pumpkin, or sweet potato soups are blended. I make one that is a curried butternut and apple soup that would be yummy and nutritious along side some nice grilled or sauteed chicken.

Something you could try....
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Ooooohhhh, Nikki....I could have written your OP! I'm pretty open minded, but there is no forcing my taste buds to accept foods I don't like, and since I've been on this planet for 53 years, I've tried them all. But hey, see my ticker? You CAN lose weight and be healthy without being a clean eating, vegan, or paleo follower. While I envy their commitment, I know I will never be them, and if I try to emulate them, I will only end up discouraged and fall off the wagon....so I just do the best I can. And that's all YOU can do, too.

For those of us with extremely picky tastes, it CAN be hard to eat healthy, so you just have to try to eat healthiER! You have a decent list of vegs and fruits you DO like, so do some research and find recipes that include your likes. Make some substitutions you can live with (diet bread for regular bread, egg whites for regular eggs, sugar substitutes for raw sugar, etc.) that will cut calories yet satisfy your tastes. If you are a "texturephobe" like I am (can't stand the feel of certain foods, like oatmeal, in my mouth), try something else that you CAN tolerate (I now eat Cream of Wheat instead).

Can't stomach some veggies unless they are cooked to mush and covered with cheese? That's OK....try the lo-cal, low fat cheeses or a tablespoon of melted Cheez Whiz lite. Need butter? Try Becel Light or other substuitute. Gotta have milk? Use skim or try Silk or almond milk...not bad! Corn and potatoes aren't necessarily no-no's - they both offer great vitamin/potassium benefits - so have at 'em. I use light sour cream, chopped chives, and imitation bacon bits on my baked taters!

Remember portion control and get a scale to be spot-on when you measure.

Anyway, you get the picture. Just do what you can and ignore the naysayers. After all, this isn't about them....it;s about YOU.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not to be harsh, but you're a grown woman, so suck it up and just eat vegetables and fruit. You're not going to be healthy without eating a plethora of fresh produce, and taking a supplement isn't a substitute for real food. You listed a bunch that you DO like, so start with those and work up from there. The whole "But I'm a picky eater! Ew vegetables!" isn't really acceptable past age 10.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Not to be harsh, but you're a grown woman, so suck it up and just eat vegetables and fruit. You're not going to be healthy without eating a plethora of fresh produce, and taking a supplement isn't a substitute for real food. You listed a bunch that you DO like, so start with those and work up from there. The whole "But I'm a picky eater! Ew vegetables!" isn't really acceptable past age 10.

Funny, but "suck it up" is something I hear on the playground a lot. *eyeroll*

My mother-in-law is 86, never eats fruit, and the only veggie she eats is an occasional potato becuase she hates any others, period. She weighs 100 lbs and stands 4'11" of pure adreneline, wears glasses only for reading, and walks 1.5 miles every day. She has never, ever been in the hospital and visits her doctor for yearly physicals. Doc says Mum's BP is normal and she shows no signs of diabetes. Oh, and she drinks an ounce of her brandy every night along with her piece of chocolate. Suck THAT up.