what to do after a binge????

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    plan out what you are going to eat the day AFTER a binge. perhaps for several days. pre-log it. eat normally. don't restrict. make sure to exercise normally, too. then stick to it. make sure you have these non-trigger foods on hand when you are hungry so you are not tempted to grab something on the run. eat the foods in your plan for a MINIMUM of one day, but if you've been having binges for several weeks or days, perhaps even longer. don't restrict. i repeat: plan but do not restrict to try to make up for the binges. just work on losing normally again.

ditto with the above poster: I binge much less on a plan of 1600-2000 calories per day and it works out to be less than what i was doing on 1400 normally plus much more frequent binges.
  • jsan5933
    Options
    i just looked through your diary and can't even figure out which day was the binge. if you mean binge as in eating 1200 that ain't a binge.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    when i go on a binge i do things that make me feel better,,i go to the tanning booth , get the nails ,feet and hair done..go to the gym ... ect and i feel better and im back on track and move along
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Accept that you did :) And understand why you did, and how unhealthy it has been. I did that in December, gained 4 pounds in three weeks. I felt so stupid afterwards, but I just told myself: Ok. So I wanted to eat a lot of crap, and you know what, I loved it. Now let's get back on track. I didn't do anything dramatic after that, just the same diet as before. I feel like that works the best. Don't punish yourself by dieting even stricter then you were already. I think if you do, it's harder to keep up and chances are you'll go back on a binge soon.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Drink a crap lod of water because usually I binge on pickles lol.
  • gloryofthis
    gloryofthis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    dont beat yourself up.... i binge a lot and i find the thing slowing me down and holding me back is guilt. i feel like theres no point trying because im weak. sometimes its just a case of detoxing your mind, you did well for two weeks, and then you stumbled a little, dont look back, get right back on it.
    one of my mfp friends once said "if you drop your phone, you pick it up make sure its ok and get on with your day.... you dont think, oh well i've ruined everything now and throw it against a wall".

just move on from it. you will do great! I cant wait to read your success story =]

xx b
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    Exercise!! Work out until you've burnt off all the calories you've eaten, not all at once but still do it. This way next time you want to binge you'll remember the consequences and think twice :bigsmile:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Scream "FUUUUUKKKKKKKK" and lay in bed with fat kid basketball shorts on and play little big planet 2
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Get back to it- but at a healthier calories allowance. From what I've seen on FL people who've restricted themselves down to 1200 are the ones that end up bingeing and going off the rails. Set yourself on the 1lb a week option you'll find you can treat yourself every so often even without doing any exercise and thus keep you from bingeing again. Also, something I remind myself of alot, it's a marathon not a sprint :3

^^^^ this

some binge eating is as a result of psychological issues and nothing to do with hunger. However for a lot of people it's a natural response in the body to not eating enough, and happens because they set their calories too low, got really hungry, and then ate a lot of food to compensate. The advice I quoted above prevents this kind of bingeing and also makes your life easier.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I did this last night. Logged it. Wasn't actually that bad when I did. Not the best but Tom is on its way and I was craving salty (salt and vinegar peanuts and cashews) and sweet (3 x Lindor balls) plus baileys hot chocolate. I ended up 180 cals over, under carbs, over sugars. One day won't put me back to square one. Today is a new day, forget about yesterday and do better today.

I actually felt better after logging it, as it wasn't as bad as I expected! You don't need to do a detox, just get plenty of water in today and keep the macros tight. Any water weight will be gone in a few days!.

If this is a problem you have regularly id speak to your doctor about therapy. I used to binge eat terribly... Got counselling and now it's a rare thing and at only 180 calories over much better than the 1-2000 it would have been at one time..

Zara
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started on 1200 cals and was very unhappy and hungry. ive upped my calories to 1500 but weirdly i very rarely use them all and my average is 1200. For me it must be a psycological thing x
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Scream "FUUUUUKKKKKKKK" and lay in bed with fat kid basketball shorts on and play little big planet 2

instead of in bed, play in plank position ;-) great core workout lol
  • annieclayton12
    Options
    You probably have your goal set to lose 2lb a week, that's too much, set it to lose 1lb per week and eat back exercise calories then you wont need to binge
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just forget that it ever happened, move on and try again. Be persistent and you can do anything!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Stay focused. Don't over correct. Think long term- one bad day is insignificant. Keep on keepin' on.
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you log all your food? I noticed that the last days just before your hunger attack you weren't eating all your calories. That could explain the hunger, turning into a binge. As the others said, don't feel guilty, maybe log as much as you can of yesterdays food, and start fresh today. By the way, I realized a "silly" thing this morning. We are all eating at a deficit for calories. So, once you have logged in as much as you can of yesterday, compare it not to the MFP calories suggested, but to your real daily calorie requirement! That could help feeling less bad about the extra food. And, considering you are already eating at a loss, it would explain why eating so few calories in the last days trigged a serious hunger attack!

Hope this helps :-)

this is a great idea. If you eliminate the post binge guilt its much easier to get back on track. Its a long journey, you're not going to get it perfect everyday!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Do nothing. Get back to your program but listen to all of those who said make sure you eat your calorie allowance plus all your exercise calories every day. I binge when I don't. My body gets too hungry and I back to old programming. And remember that there is no healthy, sustainable "quick and easy" way to lose weight. Just face it. It's a slow process but it's worth it.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Pick myself up, dust myself off, start all over again!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Log everything as best as you can remember. Sit for a while and acknowledge the calories, sugar, fat, etc. leave the guilt behind but carry the knowledge of the calories with you so next time you will remember and think to yourself, " if i do this again how far will i set myself back?"
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Get rid of binge worthy food from your cabinets. Stock up on fresh produce. you can eat a lot of produce for relatively fewer calories. Agree with the advice to NOT do anything crazy and to NOT restrict your calories. Realize what you have done. Do some soul searching as to why it happened and take steps to help it not happen again. Have your healthy food options available and ready so you don't have to wait when you get hungry.Often poor planning helps open the door to binging, too. I fall prey, myself to small binges still.