Eating out panic

Options
Does any one have any recommendations of what is the least damaging and calorific thing i can order at an Indian restaurant?? Its my eldest daughters Hen Party tonight and its kicking off with a meal in an Indian restaurant. Normally i dont eat that junk so i have no idea what to eat but i know its pretty much all full of ghee and loaded with calories. Is there anything i can have that wont kill my daily calories??

Replies

• LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dont eat indian much but i know that they do some dry dishes, maybe have one of those with some boiled rice? and leave the onion bajees alone i imagine they are going to be high!
    Good luck
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    stay away from the pakhora and samosas. if you want bread try a roti instead of a nann. garlic nann are the highest calorie. have a nice curry. one without coconut milk.
    have some raita if you want.
    the tandoori meats are nice and you can eat them without rice.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, just eat small portions. It may not be the best for you, but anything is fine in moderation.
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    chickentikka tandoori, its about 170cals for around 5 chunks of chicken and around 200 cals for 150 g boiled rice :)
  • poorvifat
    Options
    Hi I am an Indian and I eat Indian food everyday and it's most of the time not junk,not loaded with ghee and does not kill healthy eating:drinker: try rotis or fulkas with paneer,that is,cottage cheese side dishes...tandoori dishes are one of my favs :smile:
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i;ve found most indian restaurants have a description of ingredients on the menu, just try and make a guess at which one sounds healthiest, its your daughters hen night, its not going to happen on a regular basis so just try and enjoy yourself without feeling guilty about any extra calories you may or may not consume, and start again tomorrow
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Hi I am an Indian and I eat Indian food everyday and it's most of the time not junk,not loaded with ghee and does not kill healthy eating:drinker: try rotis or fulkas with paneer,that is,cottage cheese side dishes...tandoori dishes are one of my favs :smile:

Normal Indian food isnt, my boyfriend is Indian and his mom cooks lovely food that isnt loaded with oil and ghee but the restaurant stuff doesnt seem anything like the food she cooks. Although i will confess i love Jalebi and thats pretty high in calories but i dont care :laugh:
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Chicken Rogan Josh isn't too bad with being tomato based x
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I wrote a reply this morning to another thread for a young woman who is nervous about attending an Indian restaurant with her boyfriend with some menu recommendations.
    I cook Indian for friends and family on a regular basis. I love Indian but I am not such a great fan of Indian food in some Indian restaurants.
    Some relatively low-cal options is anything cooked in the tandoor oven.
    Tandoori chicken, seafood or lamb will be relatively low in fat.
    Most things that are cooked in a masala sauce will be loaded with varying amounts of calories in the form of yoghurt, cream, or butter. Once upon a time I made a black dhal makhani. One of our friends who attended the dinner pressed me for the recipe but I was reluctant to do so knowing just how much butter was in the recipe. There was so much butter in it that I only ate a tablespoon.

One of my favourites is saag paneer - its a spicy spinach puree with chunks of deep fried cottage cheese. Its not too bad unless they load it with butter. oil or cream.

The other thing to remember is that you're not eating this food every night. Maybe its best to relax a little, eat in moderation and enjoy the night.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • seahorse29
    Options
    1. Make a plan
    2. Tell someone

What works for me is eating a high protein snack before I go- like a high protein mini bar or a high protein shake (100 cals). If I am not hungry then it is easier to make better choices.

If appropriate, I would tell one or two people present that I don't want to eat large amounts and that I will keep my servings small. Getting the support of others helps and it keeps me to my word when the temptation is greatest. I don't want to let them down!

I would select dishes where I could 'pick out' chunks of chicken or veg or whatever and leave most of the sauce off and put that with some rice as I find protein more filling and I don't need to eat as much. Perhaps some vegetarian options would also work provided not too much oil. I would avoid nan breads altogether. I would drink only water or mineral water and no alcohol.

If I know ahead, I try to do some extra exercise leading up to it.

Alternatively, like OP have said just have a nice time and don't beat yourself up about it. Just get back on track the next meal.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken, some salad and a roti.
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions here for tandoori chicken - that with some roti and maybe a side of paneer or if you want something sauce-y a vegie aide dish like lady fingers (okra) might be nice. Just don't panic, and enjoy the evening!
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions here for tandoori chicken - that with some roti and maybe a side of paneer or if you want something sauce-y a vegie aide dish like lady fingers (okra) might be nice. Just don't panic, and enjoy the evening!

Veggie side not vegie aide! iPhail!
  • antmanb
    Options
    Indian food isn't all rubbish and loaded with ghee! Crap restaurants serve crap food, but if you go to halfway decent restaurant you have loads of options. My local indian has a whole section that is tandoori sizzlers that is all grilled and then put on one of those big hot sizzling dishes. There's a selection of fish dishes. If I were you i'd stick to things that are gilled as opposed to fried so like others have said choose dry dishes, shashlicks, tandoori dishes without the sauce. Most of the rice will be fried so ask for boiled if you want.