Eating Out - Top Tips please

Options
13»

Replies

• mattvandyk
    mattvandyk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    screw that, eat what you want and enjoy your evening!
    Definitely the right answer. My god, being a foodie myself, I'd enjoy the specialties, exactly as prepared and designed. High end chefs don't often make special substitutions as it defeats the whole purpose of their art. Eat, enjoy, be merry, and get yo *kitten* to the gym tomorrow :-) Life is about living. You didn't get fat from one meal. As long as you jump back on the wagon tomorrow, it's all good!

I don't think people realize what a Michelin starred restaurant is. There are only like, 10, in the US... Places with year-long waiting lists. This isn't like going out to Applebee's, people!

That's a little bit of an overstatement...there are well over 10 in Chicago alone, but the point is well-taken.

Haha yeah, I exaggerate. Ok, 3- star rated are very scarce though. I once tried getting into French Laundry. I didn't realize how exclusive those places were ha.

True. Took us well over a year to finally get into Alinea (they open the book 2 months in advance and I swear it's full in 20 minutes). Had an account at Next since they opened and STILL haven't gotten tickets. That's all part of the fun, though!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Ask for a to go box and put ½ of everything in it.

I would normally agree with this - although in my experience at fine-dining restaurants, they give you rather small portions of really high quality proteins with decadent cream-based sauces. With that being said, perhaps you pick a seafood instead of the beef (the higher quality beef tends to have more marbling/fat) and stay away from the complimentary breads.

Maybe you split the appetizer and/or dessert? Make sure you don't drink your calories!

But whatever you do, enjoy it!! :happy: I'm guessing it's not an everyday thing, so maybe you add 15 minutes to each workout next week?
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think people realize what a Michelin starred restaurant is. There are only like, 10, in the US... Places with year-long waiting lists. This isn't like going out to Applebee's, people!

This must be the case.
    Lol I can't believe the people who are saying to ask for a doggy bag. They are not usually the type of meals you can halve and save for later!

OP have a fantastic time!! One day I will get to a Michelin starred restaurant - and I will eat whatever the hell I want!!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Haha yeah, I exaggerate. Ok, 3- star rated are very scarce though. I once tried getting into French Laundry. I didn't realize how exclusive those places were ha.

The executive chef where I used to work was a saucier and then a sous chef at French Laundry. I blame 15 of the pounds I have to lose on him - but man oh man, those were the yummiest!
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    All good ideas. I love bread and the appetizers. I will eat a salad. One roll or piece of bread. Or skip the bread and eat 1/8 of the appetizer. I then eat 1/4 of my food. That way I can enjoy but don't over do it. I over to eat out with my husband. I will also eat a big salad and then sometimes just eat 1/8 of what my husbands eating. I also bring my own dressing and bun if I eat a cheeseburger. I explain I'm diabetic and they never seem to mind. Believe it or not. I do get full. My kids laugh but I am use to it. And I eat fries too but only 6. Enough to taste but not too many to over indulge. And yes I actually count out 6. I have lost weight doing this while still eating what I want. Only thing I really avoid is sugar. Good luck.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you eat at Michelin starred restaurants regularly then do the usual 'avoid fried foods/creamy sauces etc.', but if it was me that might be the only time in my entire life I get to eat food that good. So I'd just go, eat what I wanted, hopefully enjoy it, and maybe rein it in for a day or two afterwards. :drinker:

^this.

I pretty much want you to fully enjoy the experience and the dishes as they were intended. i want you to enjoy your wine too. and then later, just consider it was a "free" day or cheat meal only. and then take the rest of the week back on plan.

maybe workout a little more or reduce cals a touch throughout the week. but a place like that I say, indulge a little. don't gorge, just enjoy the courses as they should be enjoyed with moderation, consideration, and gusto.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat out. I make meals for the day, and when I do, I keep it simple, and lay off the sauces.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Light Breakfast, salad for lunch and save all of your calories for dinner. Enjoy!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

The executive chef where I used to work was a saucier and then a sous chef at French Laundry. I blame 15 of the pounds I have to lose on him - but man oh man, those were the yummiest!

Jealous!! I do have The French Laundry cookbook, but I haven't even attempted any of the dishes in it yet. That must have been so amazing to work with that chef. (sorry for getting off topic OP...)