prepackaged meals (i.e.lean cuisine, smart ones)

Options
2»

Replies

• nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat Smart Ones for breakfast and lunch when I'm home and have yogurt or fruit with it to make it more filling.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them because they are too expensive. But I used to eat them. I hated the Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine. They are too small and taste bland. I used to like the Weight Watchers ones, but they still need to supplemented. They are just too small.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like the lean cuisine meals and I can buy two weeks worth of them for $20 dollars. I understand everyone else's concerns and comments about them and the sodium levels are pretty high...

If Lean Cuisine has too much sodium, then I don't know where they put it. In the plastic container maybe? They taste like salt hasn't touched them.
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice in my freezer for emergencies or a change of pace once in a while. I cook homemade dinners most nights and cook extra. I have a Ronco Rotisserie and cook rotisserie chicken all of the time. I cook roast beef or roast pork in there as well. I also cook meals on my George Foreman grill. So whatever I am cooking, I cook extra. That way I have extra meals that are just reheat and eat. There are SO many easy to make things with the leftover rotisserie chicken, including soups and casseroles and stir fry. All of things are quick and easy.

So I guess that is my "trick" is that when I cook, I cook extra or more than one thing at a time so that I have lots of leftovers in the refrigerator.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I like the lean cuisine meals and I can buy two weeks worth of them for $20 dollars. I understand everyone else's concerns and comments about them and the sodium levels are pretty high...

If Lean Cuisine has too much sodium, then I don't know where they put it. In the plastic container maybe? They taste like salt hasn't touched them.

Sodium is more than NaCl. Sodium is part of many preservative compounds packaged foods used to keep from spoiling. Also, if you're used to a high salt diet, you won't notice how salty some things are.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    They're not junk food, but they're also very processed and not too good for you. Twice a day--that's a lot.

But I understand your situation. Just dealing with three kids had me completely frazzled. It's nice to say that you should make your own and freeze it, but reality is reality.

I would suggest exploring some other options, though. If you by any chance have a Trader Joe's near you, their frozen foods are made of better ingredients and taste much better, too. you might find making a quick taco or burrito in the microwave just as easy...some pre-cooked chicken, a little lowfar cheese, corn tortilla, a dab of refried beans from a can and some salsa. There are things you can do, if you think creatively, that take very little more time and effort than one of those meals.
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered the world of Lean Cuisine, they were on special so I bought some. Contrary to many, I like the taste, possibly a psychological affect of not having to prepare it makes me feel special :) I've had 2 in the last week and I find the portion size perfect. The variety is great and I plan to eat them regularly (1-2 times a week), if you're losing weight, do what works.
  • lizm2805
    lizm2805 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to buy them all the time but Ive really tired to stay away from pre-packaged meals now. Its a pain in the *kitten* to have to cook everything or prep it but I feel like this makes me alot more conscious about what im eating. Also in the long run they do nothing for you. You dont learn how to eat properly, becuase youre just relying on the package. Once you go back to eating normal foods again youll gain weight back very quickly. Ive seen this happen to alot of friends who have tried nutri system which is basically all prepackaged meals. Learning to eat healthy is a lifestyle change. But you have to do what works for you! Good Luck with your weight loss journey. I will admit tho, I do still enjoy the Special K Flatbread breakfast sandwiches tho, quick easy and delish.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Personally I would never have them, I'd rather have beans/scrambled egg on toast or a jacket potato with tuna and salad or something. It take s minutes to make and healthy and fool of good nutrients.

I have 3 children and work 60+ hours a week and I cook homemade food. We all eat the same food, if they don't like it tough. If it's something completely different then I will portion it out separate, for example, curry, rice and vegetables; I'll put them on their plate side by side rather than the curry on top of the rice, if they don't like the curry they can eat the rice and vegetables.

You would be better cooking one pot wonders to save you a lot of time and bulk up with tons of vegetables. for breakfast you could always pre-pare a fruit salad and have with some low-fat yogurt. Or quick scrambled egg, you can make that in the microwave too and will be better for you.

Hope you find something that works for you. x

x
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember the last time I had a pre-packaged meal.
    I don't eat them for a couple of reasons;
    1 - it is cheaper by a long way to go to a grocer, and buy fresh vegetables and fruit. That way you're sure of what you're children are eating, and the money you save by making the meals can go towards getting better food.
    2 - you can never be sure of the quality of the food you are getting. How would you know? All you're seeing is the end result, not the primping and god knows what that happens to it before you lay it down on your table.
    3 - salt. Salt is fine in a diet, its recommended in fact and is a mineral. But salt is said to be one of the worst offenders for aiding in weight gain. Too much salt makes the body retain water, causing bloating and swelling.

I would agree with the other people who said that cooking batch meals is really helpful and easy. You can do so many things, chillis, soups, pies, and all you need to do is heat them up again.

I understand that having 5 children must be hard sometimes, but I think it would be a lot harder if they started gaining lots of weight or developed health issues.
    My mum was a single parent, and had a full time job, and still found the time to make home made meals. You know when people say "nothing beats my mothers cooking"? That.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Simply because its an easy go to food that can be ready in minutes. I'm a mom of 5 and getting them fed is extremely hectic...

I don't know much about those processed meals because I never eat them, but I'm slightly confused. Are you feeding this to the kids for convenience or is it just for you? Because if you are cooking for them anyway, but eating these frozen meals, why don't you just eat what you're cooking instead? So much easier. You're cooking healthy for them, right? Just make sure you eat within your calories and you should be ok. I'm not inclined to ever cook separate meals for different family members. :flowerforyou: