how much did you lose before people noticed?

Options
I have lost 20 lbs. From 226 to 206 on my 5'3" fame. My clothes are fitting alot looser and I know my face is alot slimmer. No body has said a word. I havent really said anything about trying to loose weight, so no one is inspecting me every day to judge my progress. But I thought some one might have noticed....... sooo..... just wondering... How much did you lose before anyone noticed?

Replies

• ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 pounds (165 pounds to 135 pounds) since October. Not one person at work has mentioned it, but considering I wear loose scrubs anyway, I'm not surprised no one has noticed it.

The gal who cuts my hair is the only one who's said a thing.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't remember but I think people often notice but think they shouldn't bring it up. My boss asked a co worker if I was losing weight. He said he was afraid to say anything because you aren't supposed to talk about a woman's weight. Doesn't bother me though. It's nice when people notice.
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 20 lb weight loss! They may have noticed and just not said anything...who knows. It is important that you know and are proud of all the hard work that went into reaching your goal. All the best going forward in your journey.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 pounds (165 pounds to 135 pounds) since October. Not one person at work has mentioned it, but considering I wear loose scrubs anyway, I'm not surprised no one has noticed it.

The gal who cuts my hair is the only one who's said a thing.
    Have you lost weight? I thought you had! You look great! Well done! :-D
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70lbs, no one has noticed. If they have, they haven't said anything about it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Around 20 pounds my coworkers started noticing. My mom hasn't said a darn thing though :ohwell: Isn't it funny that no matter what our age we still want our mom's approval? Anyway, it wasn't until I started wearing smaller clothes that people really noticed. Great job on the weight loss!
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My close friends notice my face looked thinner when I lost 25.
    It wasn't until I lost 30 that I started to get "Wow, you're looking good", "You've lost weight"...it really encouraged me to hear people mention it. It was a goal for me as it has been so long since I had had a compliment.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it takes a month for you to notice a change. 2 months for your family and friends, and 3 months for the rest of the world.....

I keep that in the back of my head...
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not a ****y-bird from my work colleagues, however my weight loss has been slow and steady.
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the censorship on the 18th century phrase
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I was close to my highest weight the beginning of last year. I went from 218 down to 190, and it was around 195 that people started commenting. I think much of that was I had been carrying that weight for a while and had a more rounded face, so loosing thinned out my look overall. The weight on my frame doesn't show as much.

Over the years, even if I am not loosing weight my look does change if I am lifting, and people comment then.
  • Pegasusonfire
    Pegasusonfire Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    15lbs and my FIL said that he can see that I have lost some weight, in my face. DH said he could see it in my sides. As for women noticing, nada, none of the women I know have said anything about my weight loss.
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has hit on the right points. I wear baggy scrubs too, so I guess it is harder to tell. I also think that people are afraid to say anything. I do sometimes catch people looking at me when they think Im not looking so they are probably thinking Whats different? And , Yes, I am waiting for my Mother to notice. She sees me in my jeans, not always baggy scrubs. I have even been wearing some of the jeans I had outgrown and packed away. Not a word! But she was sure to point out that she has lost 10 lbs and had me inspect her from every angle! I guess we do always need parents approval!
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Around 20 pounds my coworkers started noticing. My mom hasn't said a darn thing though :ohwell: Isn't it funny that no matter what our age we still want our mom's approval? Anyway, it wasn't until I started wearing smaller clothes that people really noticed. Great job on the weight loss!
    I've lost 30 pounds and a few random people will say something. My mom knows I work out every day and has said nothing. My 5'10 perfect looking sis in law started working out 2 days ago and my mom is all about it!
  • EyeOnThePrize82
    Options
    Over 20lbs and no one but my mom said anything. (I've gained a few back now)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 233. At 50 lbs down, a couple people noticed but not many. Some people said something at 60-65lbs down. Once I passed 70lbs down, people started asking if I was sick because I lost "so much so fast" (same people who didn't notice at 60-65). I was down a whole lot of lbs and many clothing sizes before people noticed. As for me, I'm still waiting to "see" it in the mirror.

When I lost the first 20lbs, my mother asked me if I was pregnant (and I see her all the time). I think I might have preferred that she not say anything. Nothing like feeling good about dropping 20lbs, a clothing size, and having mom ask if I'm pregnant lol.
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My mother has noticed almost from the start, but my Mother always notices everything (you couldn't evn get Botox and her not notice!). My husband will comment if I do (in a positive way). I honestly think other people are often trying to be polite or sensitive. I feel that people often don't want to insult someone by suggesting they have lost weight (so as not to assume they should have lost weight or somehow look better now and looked like crap before). So, most keep quiet even when they notice.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    coworkers that I am closer with noticed around 15 pounds (215-200 5'7''), i wear scrubs to work so hard to see body. when a close friend i hadn't seen since I started losing saw me she was floored! but she also notices when i lose as little as 5 pounds. my 11 year son says i look the same, but he is also a man. I asked my mom if she noticed and she didn't even reply but then again she is a b!tch. she just wanted to know if my big boobs had shrunk.
  • ktdidit78
    ktdidit78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far! :)

I work closely with a gal who struggles with her weight, so she is more aware and has noticed that my clothes are a bit looser and my face is thinning out - and that's with only 10 pounds lost. I lost 30 pounds a few years ago and most people didn't say anything until about 25 pounds lost.

I work with mostly very fit people, so I have great motivation to lose weight, and I'm pretty sure they'll say something when it becomes more outwardly obvious.

As for family - my aunts ALWAYS say, "Have you lost weight??" Whenever they see me, even if I've gained a lot since they last saw me... bless their hearts. ;)
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it was at around 35 pounds. I also think it may depend on how much you have to lose, too.