Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Losing not loosing!

Replies

• And that "Loosing the Hounds" movie is so bad you can't even find it on google. Trolololol.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    It really shocks me how frequently this exact same topic comes up on the message boards!

Agreed, I'm guessing some people get irritated quite easily and frequently. :laugh:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    loosing present participle of loose (Verb)
    Verb
    Set free; release: "the hounds have been loosed".
    Untie; unfasten: "the ropes were loosed".

OP, your trolling skills are admirable.
  • loosing present participle of loose (Verb)
    Verb

I already had my debate about what you just said! Try again, good sir.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    I don't think he was trolling, he is just new to this site. I had never seen the extreme misuse of the word until I came on here, and it did bug me to no end. Now, I just try to overlook it and read the rest of their post.
  • If loosing is a word then I will now declare that "LOL", "ROFL", "LMAO", and all other similar variants are also words! Thank you!
  • I don't think he was trolling, he is just new to this site. I had never seen the extreme misuse of the word until I came on here, and it did bug me to no end. Now, I just try to overlook it and read the rest of their post.

You win half of a cookie. I'm half trolling, but you're right about me being new. So those of you saying that you see this topic often, it's not my fault! :'(
  • DebbieLyn63
    Technically, 'loosing' is an actual word. It just isn't used correctly. And given the opportunity to use it correctly, most people would choose to either use "releasing" or "loosening".
  • loosing present participle of loose (Verb)
    Verb

I was making sure someone hadn't already posted this....
    It is indeed a word it's just used incorrectly all the time!
  • Technically, 'loosing' is an actual word. It just isn't used correctly. And given the opportunity to use it correctly, most people would choose to either use "releasing" or "loosening".

Nobody in their right mind would ever say, "I'm loosing the chickens!"

It just doesn't sound proper AT ALL.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Can you give me the calorie content of that half cookie so I can see if it fits into my calorie allotment for the day? :flowerforyou:
  • Sorry, I can't.
  • There is a difference people! Losing is the correct way to say, for example: "I am losing weight."

Loosing is not a word!

/end venting
    There is a difference, people! Losing is the correct way to say, for example: "I am losing weight."

Loosing is not a word!

/end venting

FIXED Pesky little punctuation error in your correcting of others grammar was bothering me. :bigsmile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Technically, 'loosing' is an actual word. It just isn't used correctly. And given the opportunity to use it correctly, most people would choose to either use "releasing" or "loosening".

I agree that it doesn't 'sound' proper, and that is why very few people would actually use it. But that doesn't negate the fact that it IS an actual word in the dictionary.

Do I have to return my cookie?
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Losing/loosing drives me nuts! The other one is breath and breathe. Breathe is the verb, breath is the noun. I am glad someone mentioned the their, they're and there. Sorry can't help it when you have been a teacher for 32 years!
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    I didn't know we were being graded on a freaking
    internet forum of all places. Chill out man.
  • Technically, 'loosing' is an actual word. It just isn't used correctly. And given the opportunity to use it correctly, most people would choose to either use "releasing" or "loosening".

I agree that it doesn't 'sound' proper, and that is why very few people would actually use it. But that doesn't negate the fact that it IS an actual word in the dictionary.

Do I have to return my cookie?

It does negate the fact. ;)
  • I didn't know we were being graded on a freaking
    internet forum of all places. Chill out man.

"Chill out" says the man who says, "Freaking internet". Implying that this forum topic bothers you and you're the one who needs to chill out. =)
  • I unfortunately can't keep tabs on a forum topic all day long, so make sure you all come back tomorrow for another English lesson!
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    There is a difference people! Losing is the correct way to say, for example: "I am losing weight."

Loosing is not a word!

/end venting

If you let loose the hounds....you would be loosing them.
    Just saying it's a word...

No--You would be letting loose the hounds. You were kidding, right? Loosing is NOT a word.
This discussion has been closed.