How will you know your done losing weight?

Options
Is it your weight? The way your body looks? How you feel? I think all of those 3 go into it for me, but the best physical goal I have and this will sound weird coming from a guy, but my goal is to fit into a pair of shorts I have from about 9 years ago when I was still fit. Once I fit in those comfortably I'll know its time to start maintaining.

Replies

• twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Me too - I have a pair of jeans I could squeeze into and get on about 6 years ago and I thought "If I lose 5 or 10 pounds these'll fit really good" and then promptly went the opposite direction so I think when I can fit those jeans comfortably, I'll be ready to maintain.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    When my rump doesn't look like the back end of a mule with a canteen strapped on each side. I don't know why my body decided it wanted to store fat over my hips, giving me a goofy rightside up heartshaped butt, but I will be victorious. Body, we are not crossing a desert, carrying a baby during famine, or hunting down our own food. We don't need those backass saddlebags!

I had forgotten all about them because I used to obsess over the loose skin on my belly instead, but now I remember they were truly the last battleground in the war.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It'll mostly be from looks. Currently my goal is 128 lbs but there are a lot of girls my height that weigh less than that and have the body I want. I never want to be super skinny, just with a flat tummy that I can feel pretty good about being in a bikini. So once I am around 128 I will be seeing if I need to lose more to look the way I want.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The weight loss number I plugged into MFP is pretty arbitrary. The defining moment for me will be when my stomach is flat. It's been a loooonnnngg time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are never done...once you get to goal weight then you want to pack on muscle..then you want to lose body fat...etc, etc

Its a life style change not a diet or just getting to a certain weight...if you remember this then you will get to all of your goals..if you just view it as a "diet" or "goal weight" then what happens when you reach the end of your "diet" or your "goal weight" you relax, get lazy, and pack it all back on again ....
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    you are never done...once you get to goal weight then you want to pack on muscle..then you want to lose body fat...etc, etc

Its a life style change not a diet or just getting to a certain weight...if you remember this then you will get to all of your goals..if you just view it as a "diet" or "goal weight" then what happens when you reach the end of your "diet" or your "goal weight" you relax, get lazy, and pack it all back on again ....

I must remember this, I got to my goal once, relaxed and before I knew it I had put on a stone so here I am again. xx
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

This will fit in very nicely with my obsessive personality.
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOL if you are going to obsess about something it might as well be working out/eating healthy right???/
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think I will be satisfied when I am back down to the size I was in high school, before I had babies. :smile:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For me, I will know I am done when I reach my goal of looking good naked - firm tight everything. :happy:

I am almost there!!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I haven't got the faintest idea! I have always been fat, ever since I was a child. Now I am in control I aim to be healthy and fit, and at a 'sensible' weight; but I don't know what that is; I hope it will become obvious the nearer I get.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

LOL if you are going to obsess about something it might as well be working out/eating healthy right???/

Yep. That way I can live a long, obsessive, active life.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a target weight based on BMI and body fat percentage :) But I'll evaluate along the way, especially with monitoring body fat percentage. I think the main thing will be how I look in the mirror. I'd love to be about a UK size 8 or 10, but I've never been that size (that I can remember), so I don't know for sure yet :D
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For me, I will know I am done when I reach my goal of looking good naked - firm tight everything. :happy:

I am almost there!!

^ THIS!!!!!!

but once you get there you want to KEEP looking good naked right?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When I am DDD! and everyone can see it, and I feel it, and .. my knees dont hurt!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I too have clothes that will tell me when I am back to the right size. I can't go by a weight because I am naturally very muscular. At 5'4' and a medium frame, 140 is about right. Much less than than I look sick.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I am almost there!!

^ THIS!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY! - But once I am there it will not be quite so hard to stay as it was to get there. So, once I am there I will keep lifting, but resume my HM training. I have learned to love my new lifestyle.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am almost there!!

^ THIS!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY! - But once I am there it will not be quite so hard to stay as it was to get there. So, once I am there I will keep lifting, but resume my HM training. I have learned to love my new lifestyle.

agree 1000% :)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Is it your weight? The way your body looks? How you feel? I think all of those 3 go into it for me, but the best physical goal I have and this will sound weird coming from a guy, but my goal is to fit into a pair of shorts I have from about 9 years ago when I was still fit. Once I fit in those comfortably I'll know its time to start maintaining.

I'm unfortunately starting to realize that for me personally, it will be how my body looks. Seeing that I now have a "healthy" BMI is really cool but I still do not like what I'm seeing in the mirror. I have starting lifting weights to get a less puny look for myself. Also the ring around my midsection has shrunk but not disappeared which is driving me insane.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options

I am almost there!!
    my goal too