cheat meals

Options
what are your opinions on having a cheat meal every once in a while? is it good for weight loss? or will it disturb my process?

Replies

• lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keeps me sane and focused to have a cheat meal once a week. I just had one yesterday and my weigh in this morning was still awesome.
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend it for people just beginning their weight loss journey, but after a month or so and you've seen good results, one day won't throw you off too bad. it all depends where your at in your weight loss, if you've lost 5 lbs and have 45 to go..... prolly shouldnt cheat in a while. if you've lost 45 and you only have 5lbs to go, you can afford it. it all depends
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If a cheat meal or cheat day here and there is the thing that keeps you adhering to your diet, and you can still remain in a net energy deficit over time, then it's fine.

I really believe this is an individual thing that will vary from person to person. If your idea of a cheat is an all-out binge that cancels out a weekly deficit then obviously it will do nothing but slow your progress.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile we have a cheat breakfast: Poached eggs on toasted bagels with bacon, shredded aged cheddar on top, and avocado on the side. Mmmmmmm

Not today though, we are going out for dinner and I'll be having a couple of drinks so reigning it in all day!

So yes, I do cheat meals. So far it hasn't negatively affected my weight loss but I've only been doing this for a month. But I don't think this is something I could keep up long term if I didn't have a cheat meal. I just try to keep it within my daily calories (though it's never going to fit in the macros!)
  • martintanz
    Options
    I would say, it depends. You will eventually have a cheat meal. With the best of intentions, you will find yourself out with friends or family and voila, find yourself over indulging a little. Just make sure it happens no more than once a week, and make sure your cheat meal isn't a cheat week. The question is, should you plan a cheat meal to head off the urge to splurge? My answer is, probably not. Try to maintain some semblance of control, even as you find yourself getting carried away. So if you are at a bar, have a beer or cocktail, but skip the nachos, fries or onion rings. At a restaurant, order the steak, but skip the potato. Or, indulge in half a dessert (split it with someone else), but don't eat half a layer cake or a quart of Ben and Jerry's because it is your cheat meal.
  • Kyledrums
    Kyledrums Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I hope it helps. I'm on holiday with the girlfriends family today and we went out to eat. Pancake for main pancake for desert. I felt sick from eating so much (I can't physically eat as much as I use to). It was good to get out and treat myself though as I've been really good since xmas.
    I'm also going to be straight back on the good eating from tomorrow.

Kyle
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    can't agree more. It doesn't hurt if you keep them less frequent, maybe once a week/ or every other week. Or you can even fit them in your daily calorie allotment if you want as well.
  • deprek
    deprek Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I play bunco once of month. So Friday I ate light to save enough calories. I took small amounts of everything and I looked up calories and put as much as I could into mfp. And I didn't do too bad, alcohol included. I think it's fine if you have an event that you know of ahead of time. And if you have something that comes up out of the blue, indulge and then get back on track next day. It will help make this a less of a diet and more of a lifetime change.
  • JustBetty88
    Options
    On a sunday I allow myself a small chocolate bar, but still keep within my calorie goal, it gives me something to look forward too.
  • Jenne1979
    Jenne1979 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have my treat meal every 10 days..and it is one meal not a whole day of bad eating. I still check the nutritional value beforehand and make sure it is not something insane like nachos (1700 calories and 116g of fat!!!!!). If I am having a burger my side is a bake sweet potato or a salad and I drink water with it. I look forward to my treat meal and it helps keep me on track :)