HI I'm fairly new

Options
Hi my name is Cheryl. I am fairly new to this site. My friend at work told me anout it and i decided why bot give it a try. It opened my eyes to exactly how much crap I ate on a daily basis. So needless to say I've made a few changes. I decided it was time to get off my butt grab my dog and start walking, and it really has started to make me feel better. It is really hard at 45 to lose weight and there are a lot of exercises I can't do because of degenerative disease in my back and my neck, so I know it will take me a while to lose the weight I want. Well thats about it for now. Thank you for letting me introduce myself and keep it up all I'm rooting for all of you.

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm 43 and was having real difficulty losing weight. My doctor diagnosed a Vitamin D deficiency (pretty common in our age group). She put me on a calcium supplement with Vitamin D added and 1000 IU supplement of D. I was having bone pain and extreme exhaustion before the diagnosis. Now my bone pain is gone and I have more energy than I had in my 20s. You might try adding this to your daily vitamin and see if it helps you. I lost 11 pounds in 6 weeks once I got my levels up a little bit.
  • tammyhayes
    Options
    I'm brand new
    and I'm 50!
    I have pre-diabetic issues
    so, this MUST happen
    I have my dog's leash
    and I'm out the door
    I have to start somewhere
    and she loves to walk!
    I'm hoping I will too someday soon!:
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheryl, I'm kinda new here too. I understand the pains.. I have an advanced degenerate spine.. plus a foot issue that has a fancy name for spur.. and now my shoulder.. my doctor said what that was but I can't remember the name. Everyone said once you turn 40, things start to change.. they aren't kidding. I was trying to read a bottle in the grocery store the other day.. and I'm thinking my eyes MAY need reading glasses. OMG I hate it! My age I can't help.. my weight I can. As I get older the weight will have more and more of an affect on my health.. can feel it more and more. SO IM DONE! I'm done being over weight. This site is great for keeping a track on what you eat.. last night I was thinking that chocolate chip muffin was calling my name in the kitchen until I entered in all my food for the day.. grab some water and called it a night instead.

I wish you well on your journey. I'm going to try the Vitamin D trick.. been having a lot of issues with my nails, I'm hypothyroid too.. and another post recommended it for that as well. I take a multi Vitamin.. just one more pill in the daily regiment.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    Hi Cheryl, I'm kinda new here too. I understand the pains.. I have an advanced degenerate spine.. plus a foot issue that has a fancy name for spur.. and now my shoulder.. my doctor said what that was but I can't remember the name. Everyone said once you turn 40, things start to change.. they aren't kidding. I was trying to read a bottle in the grocery store the other day.. and I'm thinking my eyes MAY need reading glasses. OMG I hate it! My age I can't help.. my weight I can. As I get older the weight will have more and more of an affect on my health.. can feel it more and more. SO IM DONE! I'm done being over weight. This site is great for keeping a track on what you eat.. last night I was thinking that chocolate chip muffin was calling my name in the kitchen until I entered in all my food for the day.. grab some water and called it a night instead.

I wish you well on your journey. I'm going to try the Vitamin D trick.. been having a lot of issues with my nails, I'm hypothyroid too.. and another post recommended it for that as well. I take a multi Vitamin.. just one more pill in the daily regiment.

You have to take the extra calcium with the Vitamin D. Vitamin D can demineralize your bones by itself. Sorry I know I'm not a medical professional but this is what my doc told me.
  • goingtolose
    Options
    Hi I am also fairly new to this site. I turned 40 this year and I am having a very hard time losing this weight. I am a stay at home mother of two boys and I watch a 2 year old. It is very difficult to be around kids all day and not eat what they eat. I find that I am picking at their leftover lunch or snacks. All of this adds up to a lot of extra calories throughout the day. I have already lost 50 pounds but now have gained back 20. Hopefully I will be able to get inspired by some of your post and finally kick this weight problem once and for all.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    Eating kids leftovers is what got most of us moms in the mess we're in today. I'd say, throw them out. Keep your own healthy snacks available. I love carrot sticks and apple slices because they are filling without being too full of calories.
  • Krickette_16
    Options
    Eating kids leftovers is what got most of us moms in the mess we're in today. I'd say, throw them out. Keep your own healthy snacks available. I love carrot sticks and apple slices because they are filling without being too full of calories.

Isn't that the truth. Lately I've found myself "finishing" the tiny bit of "leftovers" before doing the dishes. I've realized that I'm doing it now because money is tight and I don't want to be wasteful. So instead of making too much & the leftovers being thrown out, I'm finding recipes that only serve 2 to 4 people. Usually my DH will have 2 servings to himself, which rresults in not having left overs and thus not feeling as if I have to finish what's left.
  • CHERYL1UT
    Options
    Awesome job on yuor weight loss. Yes getting older does but it beats the alternative.. Keep up the good work and good luck
  • CHERYL1UT
    Options
    The dog loves walking.. Just enjoy the time. I like to just clear my mind of all the days issues and just focus on the alone time that I get, and it doesn't hurt that my dog Mitzi makes me laugh. She runs and kinda hops at the same time!!
  • CHERYL1UT
    Options
    I have no little ones, but I do have a teenager. Thankfully I never have leftovers, but he likes to have cookies, candy and other junk in the house or he feels deprived. He can eat those things because he is as skinny as a rail. That Sucks!