im so upset.

Options
2»

Replies

• Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I always heard/read that whatever you do today - you won't see for 2-3 days. Unsure if that is true, I should "google" that topic.

For instance, if you totally pigged out today you wouldn't see the gain until 2-3 days.

I'm actually doing a 2-week weigh-in because I am tired of my moods being dictated by a number on the scale. :flowerforyou:

I think you are doing fine.

Good luck - keep up the good work.

~Tammy
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOT ENOUGH FOOD. (Unless you are 100% bedridden or under 4' tall)

You need to fuel your body. You will not see healthy, long-lasting results if you continue to starve your body. My minimum calorie intake is 1400 calories on days when I don't work out. I'm female, in my 20's, and 5'9". I also have an overactive thyroid and my doctor recommended 1400 calories; otherwise, about 1550 would be my daily minimum.

You're most likely seeing weight gain because you're throwing your body into starvation mode--causing it to store fat and burn muscle for fuel: all around, not good for you, your body, or your weight-loss goal. You need to up your base calories and continue eating your exercise calories. It will take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to get your metabolism functioning normally again. Your can't jerk your body around like a 16 year old with a stick shift and expect great results. There's a great post called "700 calories a day and not losing" that addresses the problems your having.

(Other reasons for weight gain include hormones & time of the month, not getting enough sleep, weighing yourself at different times of the day and under different conditions, and natural body flux after sleep and exercise. Try weighing yourself only once a week and under the same conditions every day: ie, every friday when you wake up, right before the shower).

I can't stress how much you need to up your calories. 1200 a day is not healthy for anyone on their feet and over 4 feet tall. Restricting your calories and then not eating your exercise calories back..... just not a solid idea.

Might not work for YOU...I eat 1490 calories a day, I burn on average 900 cals a day...no plateaus, no stalling, no starvation mode has happened to me, you need to readjust your goals every few pounds of weight loss, what worked inthe beginning doesn't always work when you start losing weight. I never eat back my exercise calories, ever..and i'm doing just fine, i've been at my goal weight for over 11 years.

So you net 590 calories a day? And have been doing that for a sustained period of time?
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find that my weight in the morning is based on what I did 2 days prior.

How tall are you? Your before photo looks pretty darn good, maybe you are trying to lose more than your body wants to let go of?

When you have less to lose, it can be harder and take longer than someone like myself who started over 200 lbs.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    well, i WAS eating 1700 a day (if that) and the "COOK YOURSELF THIN" book that i have said to take your goal weight ( 120 for me) and multiply it by 10. so, i did. it comes out 1200 calories a day. it also said to cut your calorie intake by 500 calories a day. which i did. and i got down 6 pounds by doing that . then i ran out of healthy food for my diet, and i gained it ALL right back because i started eating those 1700-2000 calories again. i know what works for my body. Im eating plenty. if you SAW how much i ate, you wouldn't be saying that i am not eating enough...i drink coffee in the morning and eat 3-4 eggwhites, spinach, plum tomatoes and a slice of onion in the morning, huge salad with shredded carrots, cabbage, onion, tomato celery and french dressing with a handful of croutons for lunch, popcorn and strawberries and cottage cheese for snacks between meals and then a normal healthy dinner. i eat PLENTY. i only eat what the recommended serving size is. Im NOT starving myself.

my husband says its because im due for my period...i dont think its that, cause im over a week late with that now and NO, im not pregnant, my tubes have been tied for 4 years next month....im just so frustrated.

You need to eat more fat. And fiberous carbs. In my opinion.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    wow, so if you eat a tiny bit over your limit, for the rest of your whole life, you will gain weight? Personally I would hate this!
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I find that my weight in the morning is based on what I did 2 days prior.

How tall are you? Your before photo looks pretty darn good, maybe you are trying to lose more than your body wants to let go of?

When you have less to lose, it can be harder and take longer than someone like myself who started over 200 lbs.

im five foot five. im trying to lose 20ish pounds. i dont like myself at this weight. im one of those people that a 5 pound difference can significantly show when i gain it/lose it so being 20 pounds over what i NORMALLY am, i just look grostesque ( by my standards only)...that picture is me posed, stomach sucked in and not preathing for the picture. you cant see me from the side where i look 6 months pregnant if i let my belly out. trust me, it shows.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOT ENOUGH FOOD. (Unless you are 100% bedridden or under 4' tall)

You need to fuel your body. You will not see healthy, long-lasting results if you continue to starve your body. My minimum calorie intake is 1400 calories on days when I don't work out. I'm female, in my 20's, and 5'9". I also have an overactive thyroid and my doctor recommended 1400 calories; otherwise, about 1550 would be my daily minimum.

You're most likely seeing weight gain because you're throwing your body into starvation mode--causing it to store fat and burn muscle for fuel: all around, not good for you, your body, or your weight-loss goal. You need to up your base calories and continue eating your exercise calories. It will take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to get your metabolism functioning normally again. Your can't jerk your body around like a 16 year old with a stick shift and expect great results. There's a great post called "700 calories a day and not losing" that addresses the problems your having.

(Other reasons for weight gain include hormones & time of the month, not getting enough sleep, weighing yourself at different times of the day and under different conditions, and natural body flux after sleep and exercise. Try weighing yourself only once a week and under the same conditions every day: ie, every friday when you wake up, right before the shower).

I can't stress how much you need to up your calories. 1200 a day is not healthy for anyone on their feet and over 4 feet tall. Restricting your calories and then not eating your exercise calories back..... just not a solid idea.

Might not work for YOU...I eat 1490 calories a day, I burn on average 900 cals a day...no plateaus, no stalling, no starvation mode has happened to me, you need to readjust your goals every few pounds of weight loss, what worked inthe beginning doesn't always work when you start losing weight. I never eat back my exercise calories, ever..and i'm doing just fine, i've been at my goal weight for over 11 years.

So you net 590 calories a day? And have been doing that for a sustained period of time?

Just because your body burns that many calories does not mean you need to eat them back...and yes i've been doing this for 11 years....and i'm never ever hungry enough to even want to eat back my exercise calories, nor am I anorexic, or deficient in any vitamins, i'm very, very healthy.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    LOL this post got crazy. You gained a pound because your period is late. We gain water weight before our periods. Sometimes it's only a pound or two. Sometimes it's more like 4 or 5. Stop freaking because you were one pound up one day. It doesn't necessarily mean your calorie intake was the culprit. Maybe you didn't get enough sleep or you ate too much sodium. If 1200 cals works for you then eat 1200 cals.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't recall seeing what you are doing for exercise. Are you doing strictly cardio or a strength/cardio rotation? How long are you workout out? How many calories do you burn during your workouts?

No, you don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories, but if you don't, you could be placing your body into starvation mode. If you eat 1200 calories, but burn 700 from exercise in the same day, you are only eating 500 calories for that day. That is NOT enough fuel for your body. Unless you have some thyroid issues, eat at least the 1200 on non-exercise days, and try to eat at least half of your exercise calories back on the days you do workout.

I agree, you can't weigh yourself daily. Our weight fluctuates from day to day based on many different things. It sounds like this is your normal TOM, so even if you're late, you will still put on water weight. Weigh once a week or even once every 2 weeks. Eating chicken and rice (the rice will not swell up after you eat it since it is already cooked and has absorbed the water from cooking) will not cause you to gain a pound. However, if you are eating late at night, it has a better chance of being stored as fat rather than being burned off completely. So try not to eat at least 2-3 hrs. before going to sleep. Eat more fresh/frozen fruits & veggies, lean proteins, low-fat salad dressings, leafy greens (not iceburg lettuce), whole grain breads, and add in healthy fats such as almonds, olive oil, avocados, etc.

Give it some time. I think it will turn around for you if you just don't stress out about it. Stress will NOT help in trying to lose weight. I also wouldn't stress out about your husband losing weight faster than you either. Men naturally have more muscle than women, hence their metabolism is higher. You don't have much weight to lose, so it will be a little slower coming off. I've been struggling with 5 pounds for a few months now and I've realized that it's going to fluctuate every so often. So sometimes a few pounds come back. I don't stress about it. Just keep working out, keep eating healthy, and HAVE FUN!!!! Those few pounds will drop off when you least expect it ... but only IF you stop looking for them to go away. Stop stressin over the scale. Put it away. Track your calories here every day for 2 weeks and exercise 5-6 days per week (at least 3 days strength training & 2-3 days of cardio). Then after 2 weeks, bring the scale out and weigh again. Ithink you'll be pleasantly surprised! Hang in there!!